Jovitalk - Bon Jovi Fan Community
Home Register Members FAQ

The Official April 14, 2018, Public Auditorium, Cleveland, OH, U.S.A. thread

Tour Discussion

Old 04-19-2018, 05:37 PM
These Days

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeeper View Post

Clearly it’s all subjective how we view things; my first impression of Richie’s comments were that he was being slightly bitter, but after watching again, I agree he wasn’t. I said so in a later post!

Edit: I wrote this while you addressed our posts that you had missed. No harm done!!

It happens! It's actually kinda nice to realize that people can talk over each other, here, just as unproductively as we sometimes communicate in real life.
Old 04-19-2018, 06:07 PM
Jovi FANatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackieBlue View Post

It happens! It's actually kinda nice to realize that people can talk over each other, here, just as unproductively as we sometimes communicate in real life.

At least on here we have an edit function......imagine how useful such a thing would be during real life face to face interactions! I’m certain at some point we’ve all said something out loud and immediately thought “why did I say that?!!!!!”

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 04-19-2018, 07:12 PM
The Distance

Everyone could sit here and think all is well between Jon and Richie but I still think there are a lot of unresolved issues still (obviously)... Two guys putting their differences aside for a night is nothing less then I would expect from JBJ... Richie is still very flaky.

Right after Jon gave Alec a nod in the Behind the Music, he joined the tour for a few gig and then disappeared for the next 15 years... so I don't think this Hall Of Fame thing is the cure for Jon and Richie at all... Great well needed ice breaker but there is still a long way to go.

Richie is a little off... Sure he came off somewhat cool but he's also got an album coming out soon and this is the best promotion for it... No better way to win back your Bon Jovi fans... Do I think it's all about that? No!!! But do I think it's a factor? Absolutely!!!

Sent from my HTCD160LVW using Tapatalk

Last edited by Rdkopper; 04-19-2018 at 07:20 PM..
Old 04-19-2018, 09:14 PM
Dry County

Send a message via ICQ to Johny

Quote:
Originally Posted by YOVANAfromPeru View Post
That song should have been played at the HOF ceremony. First, the band sounds better without Jon's singing plus the spotlight would be on the musicians past and present. Imagine Jon introducing each member before their bit, starting with Phil showcasing his abilities, than Shanks doing a little bit, even Hugh with Alec, Tico and Everett could have their rhythm section solo together, some jungle rhythm section KTF is one of the very few songs which benefit from having a percussionist. And to finish the song, David and then Richie playing their solos. What an end to the induction. The 1990s would be included as well. Prayer would take the opening slot, I'd love to squeeze Wanted in there somewhere but I understand and agree that WWWU has its place there - it represents the last era of the band and actually celebrates the band's history. Then IML anf then KTF as I've described before. Each of the four decades would be represented. I know, I'm a dreamer.

To comment on that video, I love this "Tico cam" when I was in the pit in London 2010 (man, that's a long time ago), Richie was soloing on the side of the stage and I watched Tico during the solos and especially the last one and I was amazed what the man does there!
"If you got a dream, no matter what anybody tells you, if you think that you’ve got to go for it, then you should go for it, because you’ve got one life. And the next time somebody tells you: ‘You can’t do that’ you can tell them to screw themselves, because it’s your life and you do what the hell you want with it. So this is a song about having a dream and chasing it, till you find the Bright Lights." - Aldo Nova.
Aldo Nova - Bright Lights
Old 04-19-2018, 10:08 PM
Blame it on the love of posting

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackieBlue View Post
That's funny! I saw that exact exchange as indication of the total opposite.

The way Jon turned the mic over to Richie, together with him smiling and shrugging it off when Alec said "Good answer!" made me think it was a possibility they had all been discussing, but that nothing had been decided yet. Or nothing that they wanted to comment on, one way or the other.

But then, I didn't see the fake smiles and the tension between Jon and Richie that others saw either. I noticed forced smiles a couple of times, but those were far outweighed by the number of genuine smiles and affection I saw, for the most part. I actually saw eyes smiling for the first time in a lonnngg time.
I was one of the those who noticed some tension there, plastered smiles I called them, but that's not the same as fake. Not at all (clarifying my previous opinion).

There was true happiness and pride last Saturday, even a grouchy cynic like me felt it. But that doesn't mean that those scars have faded. There's a reason why the interaction with Alec seemed truly warm and genuine, enough time has passed. There's a reason why Wanted wasn't played (I'll always be super bummed about that though). There's a reason why the Jon/Richie moments were kept to a minimum. It wasn't a night for empty and fake gestures and they found the right balance imho.

Jon seemed a little bit overwhelmed at times which is only natural, this is not what he had envisioned for their big night. That's why some of the interactions were off, it seemed as if he was overthinking. Which again is normal, this was their biggest night but they made it to the finish line limping and on their last breath. It shouldn't have been like this.

But it was, can't change history, so... They made it, that's what matters

These days what's left of me ain't no Prince Charming

We know Jon, we know
Old 04-19-2018, 11:46 PM
Jovi Freak

Old 04-20-2018, 12:13 AM
Breakout

I very much loved to see Jon and Richie together again, I didnt think those were fake smiles but some moments seemed obviously tense.

Anyways, I pictured them talking while listening to Jon's "Old Habits Die Hard" and now in my mind that's their soundtrack...

=)
Old 04-20-2018, 12:14 AM
These Days

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rdkopper View Post
Everyone could sit here and think all is well between Jon and Richie but I still think there are a lot of unresolved issues still (obviously)... Two guys putting their differences aside for a night is nothing less then I would expect from JBJ...
I don't know that anyone has said all is well or that the HoF was a cure for anything. But it sure was great to see them together and looking like they may have been having a better time than they, or anyone else, possibly thought they would have. I didn't even object to seeing Phil-X, Shanks, and Everett on the stage, regardless of how much I thought they had no place there. And you know why? It was because from Jon's behavior during the performance, the new guys might just as well have been in Timbuktu instead of Cleveland, OH. It was all Jon and Richie on the front line, from the time they started performing right up to the final bows. It wasn't like Jon was watching Richie because he was afraid Richie might mess up; but it wasn't like all the problems were behind them, either. It was just like he, and the guys, were enjoying the moment for what it was - remembering when they really were an "us". Choreographed or not, it was like they stepped right into their old song and dance.

Granted, some of it was to be expected, given the occasion; but there would have been no "expectation" for Richie to be the one singing the harmony on WWWU, much less for him to be sharing the mic with Jon when he did it. I nearly fell out of my seat when that happened. Since they didn't do WDOA, that was probably as close as they could get to the 2-guitar salute that I had unreasonably high hopes of seeing. And altho it seemed a little uncertain in a couple of spots, Richie's harmonies still sounded more natural than anything on THINFS or BB, imo; even in a song that he really had nothing to do with. Suddenly WWWU might just be one of my favorite Bon Jovi songs.

None of that was "needed" to show that they had put aside their differences for one night. If that's all it had been, the kowtow in Bad Name and Richie standing in his old spot would have been sufficient to prove the point. And Jon certainly didn't have to virtually ignore the men to his left to prove it. But from where I sat (in front of one of the Rock Hall's theater screens), I don't think he did more than barely glance in their direction throughout the entire performance; not even during the one song that they had originally recorded with him. It reminded me of some of the lyrics in "I Will Drive You Home":

Here comes that faster fast; here comes that higher high,
As we walk on past, they just step aside..."

And no, I'm not saying that IWDYH is about Richie. (But I have to admit that you and Captain Jovi would have a much harder time today, trying to convince me that a few of us were wrong about WWWU, than you would have had before Richie stepped up to the mic to sing it.)

Could it all have been an act? Yup. But I don't think either Jon or Richie is that good at acting. If they are, so be it. While it may mean absolutely nothing as far as the future is concerned, it still made me feel one helluva lot better about where they stand right now.
Old 04-20-2018, 03:07 AM
This Post Feels Right

Send a message via AIM to Captain_jovi Send a message via MSN to Captain_jovi

Haha I still stand by it that Jon isn't slipping in hints about Richie and because he sang backup doesn't change my view on that but more power to anyone that does
Old 04-20-2018, 10:22 AM
Price of posting

Quote:
Originally Posted by YOVANAfromPeru View Post
Christ Jon looks old.
Nice Green suit though.
Wembley Arena 90, Wembley Arena 93, MK Bowl 93, Wembley Stadium 95, MK Bowl 96, Wembley Stadium 00, MK Bowl 01, Hyde Park 03, MK Bowl 06, o2 07, Twickenham 08, o2 10 (x2), Hyde Park 13, London Palladium 16, Wembley 19
Follow me: @iam_emmo