Home Register Members FAQ Mark Forums Read

Bon Jovi Remasters

General BJ Discussion

Old 01-23-2010, 04:40 PM
The Voice of Reason
Destination any Forum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iceman View Post
Yes, it's worth the money. The remixes are done really good and there's a lot of stuff that wasn't on the original. Like the acoustic intro to Never Say Goodbye.

Ice
*Sigh*

Time to spend more money! I didn't know the difference was that extensive.

As for the Remasters, I sweetened the deal by going for the Japanese Remasters which came with bonus discs. This was while Tower Records was still standing. They were expensive but I have positive association with picking those up. Though I admit I never got around to buying the first album and New Jersey in that format (neither are huge faves and I got ahold of the bonus discs through other means).

Dan, don't get me started on Blaze not having been remastered....

Old 01-23-2010, 09:13 PM
It's my post

Send a message via AIM to Rob Send a message via MSN to Rob Send a message via Yahoo to Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by danfan View Post
I don't recall Crossroad even getting a remaster
It did.

Cross Road: The Best of Bon Jovi: Amazon.co.uk:... Cross Road: The Best of Bon Jovi: Amazon.co.uk:...
That's the version of Crossroad I've got. The original release had Prayer '94 instead of In These Arms and didn't have Never Say Goodbye.

Old 01-24-2010, 07:39 PM
Undiscovered Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonbevan View Post
Hi Guys

Just wandered what your thoughts were on the remastered old albums like 7800 and New Jersey etc, are they worth buying? is the quality of the audio a lot better than the standard discs

Thanks
If you have the original versions, stick with them and make a lossless back up on your hard disk or a dvd/ blu-ray disc.

The remastered versions pale in comparison with the original discs in terms of clarity and dynamics, they're good only if you hear your music in your car or on a small boom box.
Old 01-24-2010, 07:45 PM
Undiscovered Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by danfan View Post
I don't recall Crossroad even getting a remaster.

Always (and still does) pissed me off that Blaze of Glory never got a remaster.
The only difference that BOG remaster(or SITT remaster for that matter) will make is of loudness, something like an increase of 8-10 decibels or maybe more so that it is on par with the current over compressed recordings.

here's two images to clarify my point (first pic is the original dynamic and better version while the latter being the compressed, flat version.)

http://i48.tinypic.com/1z1cupk.jpg 1990

http://i48.tinypic.com/16bkcpi.jpg 2010

If you're that keen on getting a remastered version, I can squash the album for you (free, of course) or get yourself a waves L2 limiter along with goldwave and go crazy....you can't do any worse than Obie or Rick Rubin's team.

Last edited by jw1023; 01-24-2010 at 07:50 PM..
Old 01-24-2010, 07:48 PM
Undiscovered Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob View Post
It did.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Cross-Road-B.../dp/B000024F2G

That's the version of Crossroad I've got. The original release had Prayer '94 instead of In These Arms and didn't have Never Say Goodbye.
I may be wrong but didn't the US version had Prayer 94 and a different title like "14 classic grooves" while the international version had 15 tracks including Never say goodbye?
Old 01-24-2010, 08:53 PM
It's my post

Send a message via AIM to Rob Send a message via MSN to Rob Send a message via Yahoo to Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by jw1023 View Post
I may be wrong but didn't the US version had Prayer 94 and a different title like "14 classic grooves" while the international version had 15 tracks including Never say goodbye?
It's a possibility I suppose, but I do remember seeing the orginal Crossroad in a UK record store a few years ago and I doubt they'd be selling US releases in a UK store. I'm not 100% though as I wasn't a Jovi fan back in 1995.

Old 01-25-2010, 06:55 PM
Lay your Posts on Me

Quote:
The only difference that BOG remaster(or SITT remaster for that matter) will make is of loudness, something like an increase of 8-10 decibels or maybe more so that it is on par with the current over compressed recordings.

here's two images to clarify my point (first pic is the original dynamic and better version while the latter being the compressed, flat version.)

http://i48.tinypic.com/1z1cupk.jpg 1990

http://i48.tinypic.com/16bkcpi.jpg 2010

If you're that keen on getting a remastered version, I can squash the album for you (free, of course) or get yourself a waves L2 limiter along with goldwave and go crazy....you can't do any worse than Obie or Rick Rubin's team.
Thats not actually 2 dif versions of the same track is it,cause if it is who ever mastered the secornd should be fired as it cuts some amount of frequncies
Old 01-25-2010, 08:06 PM
Undiscovered Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrleaf View Post
Thats not actually 2 dif versions of the same track is it,cause if it is who ever mastered the secornd should be fired as it cuts some amount of frequncies
It is, I did the remastering as an example to show what Justice in a barrel will look like if released on a remastered Blaze of glory album.....and I didn't "cut" off any frequency, I simply compressed the song using a limiter(SONNOX OXFORD) AFTER some peak reduction.

and yes, I deserve to be shot for doing that, it sounds as awful as anything coming from the music industry since 1997/8

EDIT
and this is how it'll look like if I boost the volume without using any limiter, notice the massive clipping.

http://i48.tinypic.com/24zhnvc.png

I don't think any mastering engineer is stupid enough(yet) to screw up this bad.

Last edited by jw1023; 01-25-2010 at 08:24 PM..
Old 01-26-2010, 11:51 AM
Lay your Posts on Me

Quote:

I don't think any mastering engineer is stupid enough(yet) to screw up this bad.
I dont know about that but,cheers for the examples anyway.

Tags
remaster