Jovitalk - Bon Jovi Fan Community
Home Register Members FAQ Mark Forums Read

The Official Rolling Stones Thread

Other Bands

Old 01-24-2010, 03:23 PM
Something for the Posts

Default The Official Rolling Stones Thread

Recently I've actually started two threads related to The Rolling Stones, but one was about Ronnie Wood's antics and one was a stupid argument with David called "The Rolling Stones vs Aerosmith".

Obviously The Stones are much better, and deserve an official thread of their own. So here it is.

Few bands are simply so ****ing cool. Pretty much everything about The Stones kicks arse. Keith's riffs, Mick's vocals, Mick Taylor/Ronnie Wood/Brian Jones' (and occasionally Keith's as well) leads, the funny lyrics, brilliant tunes, real solid and jazz influenced rhythm section, the energy, the way Keith and Ron pretty much prop eachother up onstage. I'd say their four album run from 1968 to 1972 has been more or less unparalelled.

1968 - Beggar's Banquet
1969 - Let It Bleed
1971 - Sticky Fingers
1972 - Exile On Main Street

And that's not even mentioning Some Girls, Tattoo You, Aftermath, Between The Buttons, Out Of Our Heads, Goats Head Soup and so on and so forth. I'm also a big fan of Keith and Ronnie's solo albums, and even on the shitty albums (admittedly there are quite a few) there are plenty of quality songs.

Their gigs are still pretty awesome, even though Keith's guitar playing has deteriorated beyond belief. The "Biggest Bang" DVD has some really good peformances on it amoungst the vegas shit, but if you really want some live Stones I suggest you download "The Brussels Affair" from the 1973 Goats Head Soup Tour, or "Get Yer Leeds Lungs Out" from 1970. Classic live Stones were so loose and free-sounding it was unbelieveable.

Oh, and they're probably the best guitar band ever too. You have Keith with his neverending supply of hard and catchy riffs, and even the odd lead as well, such as his great "firedancing" solo on Sympathy For The Devil. Mick Taylor was a virtuoso, as evidenced by his intricate and beautiful solos and fills throughout his tenture in the band. Brian Jones was a hugely talented multi-instrumentalist, as well as one of the best slide guitarists I've ever heard. Ronnie's like a more technically gifted Keith, but is a better slide and steel guitar player than even Brian (if anyone hasn't heard it, get his solo debut I've Got My Own Album To Do).

Anyway, enough of my ramblings, let's hear what everyone else thinks about The Stones. Favourite album, member, general thoughts and so on.

Last edited by Ferret; 01-24-2010 at 05:46 PM..

Old 01-24-2010, 04:39 PM
It's my post

Send a message via AIM to Rob Send a message via MSN to Rob Send a message via Yahoo to Rob

Yup. What you said, one awesome band. They've been one of my favourate bands for years now. Although I'd only heard about 50 songs it was obvious they had a very diverse range of material. You mentioned the guitars, but I also think Mick Jagger is a very versatile singer. I mean he can do it all, blues, rock, pop, even soul. I love some of the more mellow songs such as Angie and Lady Jane. I don't think anyone could sing those songs any better. I saw you mention those four albums on another thread so I downloaded them as I've been meaning to listen to some full Stones albums for years. Been listening a lot to Sticky Fingers and there isn't a weak track. My only regret is that I haven't seen them live, but then who knows I might just get the chance yet.

Old 01-24-2010, 05:43 PM
Keep the Faith

i love sticking the 40 licks album on every now and again because every track is a winner. an incredible band.

Old 01-24-2010, 06:45 PM
These Days

I have most of their stuff, have seen them live 3 times since the Bridges To Babylon tour. Amazing.

I love all the obvious classics, favourite song would be "Beast Of Burden". I also played many of their songs live with my acoustic project, "Paint It Black", "Sweet Virginia", even "Sympathy For The Devil". With my full band we once played "Jumpin' Jack Flash".

Among my favourites are lots of non-hits and album tracks, like "She Was Hot", "Dirty Work", "Out Of Control", "Luxury", "Time Waits For No One", "Hand Of Fate", "Rocks Off"...

A long time ago I started a thread about cover songs, artists that have made great versions of Stones songs. My favourites of these have to be

Joanna Dean - Gimme Shelter
Bette Midler - Beast Of Burden & Just My Immagination (Running Away With Me)
Johnny Winter - Jumoin' Jack Flash

and the cool versions Bon Jovi have played like "It' Only Rock'n'Roll" or "Tumbling Dice".
Old 01-25-2010, 02:04 PM
Crush

Send a message via MSN to Jim Bon Jovi

favourite tunes: out of time, gimme shelter, under my thumb, don't stop.

I'm quite surprised no one has mentioned charlie yet. His beat is just as integral a part of the band as the guitars and mick's vocals. He really is an underestimated drummer.
Old 01-25-2010, 02:22 PM
These Days

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bon Jovi View Post
I'm quite surprised no one has mentioned charlie yet. His beat is just as integral a part of the band as the guitars and mick's vocals. He really is an underestimated drummer.
Charlie "Pokerface" Watts, of course - the man that never wanted to play in a rock band and be a star, and only goes on tour with him so he can play the drums. He's unique, and without him they wouldn't be the same.

He is the only drummer I know that skips the hi hat when hitting the snare drum. One of the few drummers that has a recognisable style. Like Ian Paice of Deep Purple.
Old 01-25-2010, 06:17 PM
Something for the Posts

Yeah I love Charlie too. His drumming on Sway (which I maintain is their best song ) blows my head off.
Old 01-25-2010, 11:45 PM
Crush

Send a message via MSN to Jim Bon Jovi

I remember the 1st time I seen the stones on tv live ( I think it was Bridges to Babylon) and saw charlie leaving the hat when he hit the snare and thought wtf is this guy doing.

In retrospect it actually makes a lot of sense as taking the hi hat frequencies out of the mix = a clearer and punchier snare sound.

I maintain that the greatest british rock bands are:

1.the kinks
2. the stones.
3. floyd

**** the beatles
Old 01-26-2010, 12:45 AM
Something for the Posts

Watching clips from Shine A Light on YouTube, and actually really enjoying it. Awesome versions of Faraway Eyes, Some Girls, You Got The Silver, Shattered, Little T&A, All Down The Line, Loving Cup and so on.

All the versions of the hits are pretty wank (Sympathy is awful - what was Keith thinking when he played that "solo"? I had to listen again to see if it was really as bad as it sounded first time round.) but the rare/occasional songs at that gig are mostly absolutely mint.
Old 04-12-2015, 02:41 PM
Posting Always

Send a message via MSN to Dave 1986
Default Sticky Fingers: 2015 Deluxe and Super Deluxe Edition

Sticky Fingers album is getting a Deluxe Edition later this year...

http://www.theguardian.com/music/201...ingers-reissue

If I die tomorrow, have I said all I can say?

Follow me on Twitter

PSN ID: Dave_Hedgehog86

Bon Jovi Concerts:
28th June 2003, Hyde Park, London
9th June 2006, St. Mary's Stadium, Southampton.

Last edited by Dave 1986; 08-21-2021 at 01:16 AM..

Tags
the rolling stones