Jovitalk - Bon Jovi Fan Community
Home Register Members FAQ

Self Titled & 7800 Degrees Fahrenheit

General BJ Discussion

Old 01-23-2010, 01:55 AM
These Days

Quote:
Originally Posted by jungleland View Post
Both good to great albums. While the debut has not too many fillers 7800 has the first real classics like IAOOL or OL. I wish they would not be so ashamed of their past (especially Jon). Other bands are proud of their back catalogue - BJ are not. Sad somehow....
That's not entirely true, the first 2 albums are not their only back catalogue. They almost played every song from SWW and NJ at some point. But it's just a fact that the stuff on the first two albums wouldn't fit so well into their setlists, exceptions being "Runaway" and "Tokyo Road", maybe "In & Out Of Love". As much as I love to hear one of those three, and like the first two albums, I can live without those songs being played live.

Old 01-23-2010, 04:59 AM
Jovi FANatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon View Post
That's not entirely true, the first 2 albums are not their only back catalogue. They almost played every song from SWW and NJ at some point. But it's just a fact that the stuff on the first two albums wouldn't fit so well into their setlists, exceptions being "Runaway" and "Tokyo Road", maybe "In & Out Of Love". As much as I love to hear one of those three, and like the first two albums, I can live without those songs being played live.

Slippery When Wet and New Jersey are played heavily because it's their legacy.
I'm pretty sure Jon wouldn't play them if they didn't sell a shitload of records. Jon prefers the 00s albums.
Bon Jovi can't sellout arenas/stadiums without playing their Hair Metal songs.

Best regards.
Old 01-23-2010, 12:00 PM
Banned User
Blame it on the love of posting

Quote:
Originally Posted by SexxAtraxxion View Post
Bon Jovi can't sellout arenas/stadiums without playing their Hair Metal songs.

Best regards.[/B]
Really ? So you mean the casual fan is really waiting for "Make a Memory" or "Misunderstood" instead of "Bad MEdicine" and "Prayer" ?
Old 01-23-2010, 01:03 PM
Something for the Posts

The first album is totally awesome. There is no weak track at all.

7800 is ok, some good songs but there are a couple of real turds there.
Old 01-23-2010, 07:59 PM
Blaze of Posting

Quote:
Both good to great albums. While the debut has not too many fillers 7800 has the first real classics like IAOOL or OL. I wish they would not be so ashamed of their past (especially Jon). Other bands are proud of their back catalogue - BJ are not. Sad somehow....
I know. Doesn't it suck how they ignore Slippery When Wet, New Jersey, and Keep The Faith?

In all seriousness, I absolutely do think that songs off of 7800 (IAOOL, Only Lonely, and (in my dreams) Tokyo Road) should be played, but the bottom line is that, no matter how good or bad we think they are, those albums are a small part of their legacy at this point.
Old 01-23-2010, 09:40 PM
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crushgen24/88 View Post
I know. Doesn't it suck how they ignore Slippery When Wet, New Jersey, and Keep The Faith?

In all seriousness, I absolutely do think that songs off of 7800 (IAOOL, Only Lonely, and (in my dreams) Tokyo Road) should be played, but the bottom line is that, no matter how good or bad we think they are, those albums are a small part of their legacy at this point.
ok good point but I was not only talking about the music itself and you are right that they still play SWW and NJ song en masse. But somehow I got the feeling that Jon is ashamed of being part of the 80's. Why is he ? I never understaood. That's how it was done then - I cannot think of Paul McCartney being ashamed of having a dreadful hair or making stupid music movies
I understand that Jon doesn't want to be a nostalgia act - but the older they and their fans get the more the old songs will be desired. BJ won't release classics like NJ or SWW anymore...
Old 01-23-2010, 10:16 PM
Jovi FANatic

Quote:
ok good point but I was not only talking about the music itself and you are right that they still play SWW and NJ song en masse. But somehow I got the feeling that Jon is ashamed of being part of the 80's. Why is he ? I never understaood. That's how it was done then - I cannot think of Paul McCartney being ashamed of having a dreadful hair or making stupid music movies
I understand that Jon doesn't want to be a nostalgia act - but the older they and their fans get the more the old songs will be desired. BJ won't release classics like NJ or SWW anymore...
Jon and Richie are ashamed because they will be always remembered as the most popular Hair Metal band. That's the reason.

Thier peers are not Bryan Adams, Springsteen or U2, their peers are Poison, Def Leppard, Crüe, etc.

To this day, they still deny it. That's why they are a joke for the music critics and Rolling Stone.

Best regards.
Old 01-23-2010, 10:19 PM
Jovi FANatic

Send a message via ICQ to Johny

What's wrong with hair metal?? They're crazy..
Old 01-23-2010, 10:21 PM
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by SexxAtraxxion View Post
Jon and Richie are ashamed because they will be always remembered as the most popular Hair Metal band. That's the reason.

Thier peers are not Bryan Adams, Springsteen or U2, their peers are Poison, Def Leppard, Crüe, etc.

To this day, they still deny it. That's why they are a joke for the music critics and Rolling Stone.

Best regards.
I wouldn't put BJ into the same category as Poison or Crüe. And Def lep were always way ahead musically. Not a stupid talentless Hair metal band. Brian Adams?? Gimme a break......
Old 01-23-2010, 10:29 PM
Jovi FANatic

Quote:
I wouldn't put BJ into the same category as Poison or Crüe. And Def lep were always way ahead musically. Not a stupid talentless Hair metal band. Brian Adams?? Gimme a break......

As every music genre, there will be good and bad bands.

Bon Jovi was one, and they had talent. You can't change the past.

Best regards.

Tags
7800° fahrenheit, bon jovi (album)