Jovitalk - Bon Jovi Fan Community
Home Register Members FAQ

What do you think?

General BJ Discussion

Old 03-20-2006, 09:08 PM
Next 100 Posts

Send a message via MSN to Mrspud
Question What do you think?

Are jon's business interests outside of the band, having a negative effect on his commitments to the band? ie: his time spent songwriting, producing of new material, Tour dates?

Has the band now become a hobby more so than his main body of work?

Do you think these other commitments are having an effect on his relationships with the other band members?

These were questions posed in a web article i found on another site, and I wondered what you guys thought.

Old 03-20-2006, 09:45 PM
Retired Super Moderator
Crush

Are jon's business interests outside of the band, having a negative effect on his commitments to the band? ie: his time spent songwriting, producing of new material, Tour dates?

***The band is releasing at least one product a year and consisently releasing new material more frequently than they have in the past. So, it's not logical to say that Jon's business outside the band affects the band's productivity. They've been more productive in the past 5 years than in any other time frame.

***They're touring about the same amount, probably more dates, than they did on Crush & Bounce tours. They've played some markets they haven't hit in 16 years (Omaha, Oklahoma City) and are playing multiple nights in many cities, which is somewhat rare outside New Jersey. So, again, it's not logical to say his business has affected the amount of touring.

Has the band now become a hobby more so than his main body of work?

***The product certainly does not indicate that.

Do you think these other commitments are having an effect on his relationships with the other band members?

***Only so much that he and Richie are hi-fiving one another for their mutual profits from the football team. Remember, Richie is a co-owner as well. Dave and Tico had the opportunity to also invest in the football team and did not do so.
Old 03-20-2006, 10:35 PM
Price of posting

Send a message via ICQ to Sambo-Chris Send a message via MSN to Sambo-Chris

Some of them had, for example got the release of Crush postponed because of his "acting". But this is at the moment the only time his hobby affected his job. The band is still his job, with the band he earns his money.

Of course the other commitments has effect on the relationship with the band. Earlier before they learned that everyone needs his own room they left each other after a tour without even saying good-bye and nearly broke up. Now where everyone of them has a life beside the band they are way more relaxed with each other and profit from each others experiences outside the band.

Earlier they toured more countries and continents though but I don't know if this has something to do with Jon's side projects. Probably not.
Old 03-20-2006, 10:46 PM
Retired Super Moderator
Crush

Crush was not postponed because of Jon's acting. It was postponed because the record company was bought by Universal and they made the decision to wait a few months "for the dust to settle." They were not certain how Bon Jovi would be treated on Island/Def Jam. Because they decided to wait, Jon took the movie role in U-571. He took the movie because of the wait; he didn't cause the wait to take the movie. The record was further delayed because the day Jon got home from filming, they found out that Bruce had died and they had to find another producer. Also, doing the movie project gave Jon and Richie time to write songs together for Crush. Had their been no delay, there would be no It's My Life, One Wild Night, or Next 100 Years. Crush would likely have included more songs Jon wrote alone and fewer collaborations with Richie.
Old 03-20-2006, 11:32 PM
Just posting

maybe that would've made it a better album then. Always hearing the positive sides of Richie's input, I agree except on crush because of the reason u mentioned. I liked the stuff i heard from Jon solo post DA (probably the latest after TD that had potential IMO)
Old 03-20-2006, 11:37 PM
This Post Feels Right

Send a message via AIM to Captain_jovi Send a message via MSN to Captain_jovi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Becky
Crush was not postponed because of Jon's acting. It was postponed because the record company was bought by Universal and they made the decision to wait a few months "for the dust to settle." They were not certain how Bon Jovi would be treated on Island/Def Jam. Because they decided to wait, Jon took the movie role in U-571. He took the movie because of the wait; he didn't cause the wait to take the movie. The record was further delayed because the day Jon got home from filming, they found out that Bruce had died and they had to find another producer. Also, doing the movie project gave Jon and Richie time to write songs together for Crush. Had their been no delay, there would be no It's My Life, One Wild Night, or Next 100 Years. Crush would likely have included more songs Jon wrote alone and fewer collaborations with Richie.
Really? I was under the impression Next 100 Years came early on. Didn't they give that song to the Japanese fundraiser thing in 1999? Not sure. Maybe you meant Captain Crash. I know that one was written in Rome on the U571 set trailer I think it was.
Old 03-21-2006, 01:29 AM
Retired Super Moderator
Crush

You're right... I was thinking of Captain Crash. I also remember they said that IML was the last song written for the CD and it never would have been if they hadn't waited a few extra months before going into the studio. And with no IML... no hit single? Would they have had the career resurgance in the USA? It seems everything worked out for the best for them by waiting.
Old 03-21-2006, 01:34 AM
Blaze of Posting

If the team looses again, then we could get another These Days, only it would be called, loosing streak.
Old 03-21-2006, 01:35 AM
Blaze of Posting

amn that joke is embarrasing, I'm sorry everyone.
Old 03-21-2006, 03:51 AM
Undiscovered Posts

Send a message via AIM to Tim Michaels

I still want him to buy the Pittsburgh Penguins and keep them in Pittsburgh.