Jovitalk - Bon Jovi Fan Community
Home Register Members FAQ

New Fan Club Package Updates

New Bon Jovi Releases

Old 06-16-2021, 12:49 PM
Jovi Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain_jovi View Post
Yer correct https://pagesix.com/2019/11/22/which...0Lars%20Ulrich.

That's not BJ's situation at all.
In other words, the guy who made a point out of being "the CEO" got a worse deal than a band who still gets respect from their peers from the music scene? (Yeah, I know Lars is terrible and all yada yada, but you know what I mean. Metallica are still a "cool" band.)
Old 06-16-2021, 01:06 PM
Price of posting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alphavictim View Post
In other words, the guy who made a point out of being "the CEO" got a worse deal than a band who still gets respect from their peers from the music scene? (Yeah, I know Lars is terrible and all yada yada, but you know what I mean. Metallica are still a "cool" band.)
About METALLICA
Metallica obtained control of their masters thanks to a deal signed in 1994 stating they would gain control of their masters from Warner Music in 2012. "It's always been about control for us as a band," said their drummer Lars Ulrich. "Forming Blackened Recordings is the ultimate in independence, giving us 100 percent control and putting us in the driver's seat of our own creative destiny."
------

It's funny, but until 2012 they weren't in complete control. However, since the middle of 2000, Metallica already had the Livemetallica website, where you could download almost any concert from their tours for an affordable price. Just by signing up, could download 10 full shows (soundboard) including live covers from epochs 84-99 free.

Bon Jovi never did this, but I am thankful that we have so many rare b-sides songs, bonus tracks and that he released that fantastic Box Set in 2004.

I think it's time for a new Box Set, the 40th anniversary is very close.

About The JBJ Experience, is another missed occasion to share something great with the fans.

Last edited by rolo_tomachi; 06-16-2021 at 01:10 PM..
Old 06-16-2021, 01:18 PM
Jovi Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by rolo_tomachi View Post
It's funny, but until 2012 they weren't in complete control.
Metallica (and Mötley Crüe) have owned their masters since the 90s (as cited in the piece you quoted); something the Beatles or BJ never did.
Old 06-16-2021, 02:14 PM
Price of posting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alphavictim View Post
Metallica (and Mötley Crüe) have owned their masters since the 90s (as cited in the piece you quoted); something the Beatles or BJ never did.
I understood that in the nineties they signed an agreement so that in 2012 the rights of the masters and everything return would be theirs.
Old 06-16-2021, 03:28 PM
Jovi Addict

Quote:
I understood that in the nineties they signed an agreement so that in 2012 the rights of the masters and everything return would be theirs.
Yes, I think this is the case. I think I remember around the time Metallica released their movie that they talked about it only being possible because they got the masters back. This is all memory so I could be completely wrong.

Either way, while I am on board with the idea that there may be some legal restrictions stopping Bon Jovi delivering a proper product, I also see it as a bit of a lazy excuse. It is probably just a situation where either they do not care about the quality of the product or simply suck at creating something like this.
Old 06-16-2021, 04:08 PM
This Post Feels Right

Send a message via AIM to Captain_jovi Send a message via MSN to Captain_jovi

Correct me if I'm wrong but aren't owning the masters and having the publishing rights two different things? I legit do not know.
Old 06-16-2021, 04:21 PM
Something for the Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain_jovi View Post
Correct me if I'm wrong but aren't owning the masters and having the publishing rights two different things? I legit do not know.
Yes, but both are relevant.

Publishing is regarding song writing royalties. Most bigger song writers set up their own publishing company and they own the rights to their own songs. Some may sign up to another publisher to collect royalties for them (the publisher will take a cut), but the writer still retain the rights. Some my choose to sell their publishing, which is the current trend, due to streaming meaning that royalies from song writing are not what they were.

The masters is the recordings, not the songs. If you are signed to a regular record deal as Bon Jovi were, these will be owned by the record company, unless a deal is negoiated such as the Metallica one, or the band purchase the masters from the label. It depends on the contract how much the label own, often it's just the albums and any other material that has been released (Live, B-Sides, etc), but some older deals indicate that they own anything the artist records while signed to them. Very uncommon these days.

Everything from recent years since Jon has been licencing to the label, Jon will own those masters. However, he's restricted as what he can do with those as he has a contract with the label for them to distribute the recordings for a set amount of years.

Last edited by Thinny; 06-16-2021 at 04:33 PM..
Old 06-16-2021, 04:25 PM
Something for the Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by semigoodlooking View Post
Either way, while I am on board with the idea that there may be some legal restrictions stopping Bon Jovi delivering a proper product, I also see it as a bit of a lazy excuse. It is probably just a situation where either they do not care about the quality of the product or simply suck at creating something like this.
There are ways around it. They could just pay the royalties, or licencing fees, which they may have done for some of the footage used so far, but I expect that they just don't want to spend a lot of money on this. Maybe they are not making enough from the experience to justify it. They just seem to be wanting to do it all on the cheap.
Old 06-16-2021, 04:41 PM
Price of posting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thinny View Post
There are ways around it. They could just pay the royalties, or licencing fees, which they may have done for some of the footage used so far, but I expect that they just don't want to spend a lot of money on this. Maybe they are not making enough from the experience to justify it. They just seem to be wanting to do it all on the cheap.
Let's see, Richie put Come Back As Me and Engine 19 on YouTube, the latter co-written by Bernie Taupin.

I think Jon can release some demos from his last stage, I don't think it's a problem of rights, licenses and so on. I think Jon wants to reserve those unreleased songs for a future box set, the thing is, he promised never-before-heard tracks. I just wish this shitty subscription is over, and let's start a new cycle.

Last edited by rolo_tomachi; 06-16-2021 at 04:44 PM..
Old 06-16-2021, 05:21 PM
Jovi Addict

Quote:
Let's see, Richie put Come Back As Me and Engine 19 on YouTube, the latter co-written by Bernie Taupin.

I think Jon can release some demos from his last stage, I don't think it's a problem of rights, licenses and so on. I think Jon wants to reserve those unreleased songs for a future box set, the thing is, he promised never-before-heard tracks. I just wish this shitty subscription is over, and let's start a new cycle.
I think you are pinning too much on the box set. What reason is there for Jon to release a box set? There's no money in it and he is showing and has shown that he doesn't really do anything purely for the fans. I would be shocked if a new box set is released.