Jovitalk - Bon Jovi Fan Community
Home Register Members FAQ

Some People Need to Cool Their Jets

New Bon Jovi Releases

Old 01-10-2013, 01:24 AM
It's my post

Default Some People Need to Cool Their Jets

Seriously. There are definitely extremists on both sides, but the people slamming on others who genuinely don't like the song is getting ridiculous.

Here's a wacky proposition: some of us might not like the new single. Yet apparently, some people think we can't have that opinion. This is NOT just some hater forum like some people make it out to be. The majority of the people here actually consider the musical and lyrical aspect of the song to judge it.

I personally think it's mediocre. But that's not because I was hoping for another Keep the Faith or Hey God. It's because I think the lyrics are uninspired and corny, and the music leaves a lot to be desired. Yet people who have opinions like me which are backed up with reasons still get slammed as "negative" and "not a fan".

I want to know why. Why can't we have that opinion, or express it? Everybody here is here for a purpose: we enjoy the music of Bon Jovi. So we KNOW they can do better. I saw that quite a bit on the last album, and there have been multiple great songs on every album since 2000. Why should we have to settle for less when we know this band is capable of more?

I acknowledge the fact that they were probably going for that catchy, radio-friendly song. And hey, that's totally fine. They've had plenty of good, fun songs like that (Bad Medicine, Sleep When I'm Dead, I'd even say Who Says (yes, I love Who Says, but that's a totally separate discussion)). But I (and many others) just don't think this is their best effort.

To all of those who enjoy the single, good for you. I think it's great the band made another appealing song. But some people just don't it. That doesn't mean they hate the band. That doesn't necessarily mean they think the new album is going to be utter shit (though some do seem to think that, which is a ****ing ridiculous idea based on one song). That doesn't mean they are bad fans. They just don't like the song. Which is fine.

Because it's an opinion.

Old 01-10-2013, 02:07 AM
Jovi FANatic

Amen. I kinda like the song. What I don't like is to have to sort through all the personal insults to find commentary and information about the actual music.
Old 01-10-2013, 02:17 AM
The Distance

Here is the difference:

The people who like the song say they like it and move forward.

The people who don't like it act like the world is ending. It’s the same repeat comments over and over. How many times are we going to have to read about "These Days?" It's just a single, not the album and people are judging it like it's the album. IMO, people are just overreacting. "Bon Jovi lost all creativity!" A creative song would not be the first single anyway.

Bleeding Purist said it best... It's a commercial jingle built to sell a product.

It’s okay if you don't like it but state it and move forward but stop trying to convince others not to like it by preaching because it's really starting to annoy people.
Old 01-10-2013, 02:33 AM
Just posting

Send a message via MSN to Panda

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rdkopper View Post

It’s okay if you don't like it but state it and move forward but stop trying to convince others not to like it by preaching because it's really starting to annoy people.
By your logic, if you like it, you should stop trying to convince others to like it.
Old 01-10-2013, 03:27 AM
Lay your Posts on Me

Agreed. But I think that some people also crossed the line with the hatred towards the band too, not only towards each other.

After two days my approach to the song did not change. Still it’s only Ok and very average with awful production. I even played it myself for the first time today and the chord progression and solo is sooooo easy. I learned the solo from start to finish in like 5 minutes. And I can’t remember the last solo I learned so fast, and it doesn’t say I am a great guitarist at all, exactly opposite.

But…first of all, still I don’t hate the song. I like the lyrics and its message. It reminds me of ‘Prayer’ actually more and more. And second of all, it is indeed very catchy and after countless amount of times of hearing it really was stuck in my head, but actually more verses than chorus.

Anyway, even though clearly I am amongst those who are disappointed with the song musically and I can’t remember the last time I was so critical towards any BJ song….I will be the first to say the band is far from being “dead”, as so many people are trying to say in the last couple of days. Call it exaggeration, really.

I look at this as simply a fun song, casual fan/radio friendly, I will probably wave my hands to during the show, but probably will skip it quite often on the album, because probably the next track after might be the most awesome song I’ve heard in years. That’s the same thing I have on The Circle, which for me is an amazing album. BrokenPromiseland (my fav song of not only the last album but in fact since These Days) is right after my least fav track on the album– Live Before You Die. And Born to Follow is not my fav too. So, yeah, I don’t fancy BWC that much…so what? I don’t see a problem with it at all. There is a huge probability that majority of the upcoming album will hit my music taste straight through the heart and soul, just like The Circle. For me BJ has always been an album band, not singles band. I don’t care how well the single will chart or how many people will like it or not. BJ singles don’t say much about the album’s quality anyway, for years now, and you can’t judge it after one poor song. Wait for the album and make judgments then.

Moreover I think I’ve learned to understand, that songs like BWC happen too because really, whether we like it or not, some people actually really want them, enjoy them or even love them. Good for them. Just as I love BrokenPromiseland, and maybe the same people hate it. I don’t mention songs from the 80’ or 90’s on purpose because I want to show that the band can make real masterpieces nowadays too. And people that like BWC might not enjoy the song that will be best for me, and vice versa. And that’s the most beautiful thing about this band, and this board reminds about it so much all the time. There is place for everyone. They can’t write 12 songs perfect for everyone. So I am completely fine with the fact that BWC is a part of this album, because some people really need it. I will have songs for me too. The only perfect album for me was KTF. You can’t multiply that. I accepted the fact I will not get another KTF and I don’t even have to. I have it on CD and can play it anytime I want. As long as I get very good songs on each album, to my taste, that’s all that matters. And so far I received far more that just one on absolutely each one of them. Sure, I also received songs I didn’t enjoy much, and BWC will fit that category, or even some I can’t stand (WSYCGH, ILTT, TMTC etc.), but that’s absolutely natural. I don’t like it, just move on with it, await for the album and awesome songs that are there without a doubt. But for sure they are not ‘dead’ musically.
Old 01-10-2013, 04:21 AM
Jovi Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rdkopper View Post
Here is the difference:

The people who like the song say they like it and move forward.

The people who don't like it act like the world is ending.
Probably because you don't see the comments from the people who don't like it that have moved forward, eh?

For the record, I wouldn't call it a good song. It's an okay one, one I don't mind - but I wouldn't spend money on it. I've said as much in the thread on the song and didn't comment since. I can assume others have done similiarly. So that's the reason you don't see them involved in the discusion: They already spoke their mind.