Voters: 66. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-25-2020, 03:57 PM
The One And Only Real Backstage Killer
I'll Post When I'm Dead

Send a message via MSN to Supersonic

Aloha !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faceman View Post
Those days are 1. gone and 2. would tank big due to today's music.
So what you're essentially saying is an album similar to Slippery's style would tank harder than the way the albums now disappear from everyone's radar?

The days of Slippery have gone. But the classic rock market is still massive. AC/DC, Black Sabbath, Motley Crue, Scorpions, David Bowie, The Rolling Stones, Iron Maiden, Def Leppard... The list is endless. They all release or have released new albums with an updated sound and sell loads of copies.

Iron Maiden sold 170.000 copies in the U.S. without needing to add it to a ticket bundle. Bon Jovi have loads more exposure, play in front of bigger crowds and add their album to a ticket bundle and sell 130.000 albums. The constant talk of "It wouldn't work with Bon Jovi" has been proven wrong by pretty much all of their peers.

Salaam Aleikum,
Sebastiaan

Old 07-25-2020, 04:26 PM
Keep the Faith

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supersonic View Post
So what you're essentially saying is an album similar to Slippery's style would tank harder than the way the albums now disappear from everyone's radar?
No, it's not what I said. And what I said applys more to the songs than the full albums. A song like Bad Medicine wouldn't be a successful radio single anymore. And all the bands listed in your post don't have successful radio singles either. They get played by rock stations which have nothing to do with single or album charts. They just play it because they're rock artists. And at least in German rock radio, Bon Jovi gets played quite often as well - from Runaway to Limitless.
Furthermore what I mean is another Slippery wouldn't bring them the same success like they had in the old days. I'm not one of those romantics who dream of another Slippery.

Quote:
The days of Slippery have gone. But the classic rock market is still massive. AC/DC, Black Sabbath, Motley Crue, Scorpions, David Bowie, The Rolling Stones, Iron Maiden, Def Leppard... The list is endless. They all release or have released new albums with an updated sound and sell loads of copies.
True, but they don't release that many albums in the same time frame than Bon Jovi do:

Released studio albums in the last 15 years:
AC/DC: Black Ice (2008 ), Rock Or Bust (2014)
Black Sabbath: 13 (2013)
Motley Crue: Saints Of Los Angeles (2008 )
Scorpions: Humanity Hour I (2007), Sting In The Tail (2010), Return To Forever (2015)
David Bowie: The Next Day (2013), Blackstar (2016)
The Rolling Stones: A Bigger Bang (2005), Blue & Lonesome (2016)
Iron Maiden: A Matter Of Life And Death (2006), The Final Frontier (2010), The Book Of Souls (2015)
Def Leppard: Yeah (2006), Songs From The Sparkle Lounge (2008 ), Def Leppard (2015)

Bon Jovi: Have A Nice Day (2005), Lost Highway (2007), The Circle (2009), What About Now (2013), Burning Bridges (2015), This House Is Not For Sale (2016), 2020 (2020)

So a sum of 17 studio albums from 8 different bands/artists vs. 7 albums from Bon Jovi alone.

It's much more likely that a casual buys the new album from an act who hasn't released one for years instead of buying another album from a band who releases new material every couple of years.

Quote:
Iron Maiden sold 170.000 copies in the U.S. without needing to add it to a ticket bundle. Bon Jovi have loads more exposure, play in front of bigger crowds and add their album to a ticket bundle and sell 130.000 albums. The constant talk of "It wouldn't work with Bon Jovi" has been proven wrong by pretty much all of their peers.
I agree with you on that one.
But like I said above, I'm not saying a real rock record from Bon Jovi would sell worse than what we get the last 15 years. But it wouldn't sell any better either.
It's a mix of quality and output frequency.

Last edited by Faceman; 07-25-2020 at 04:30 PM..
Old 07-25-2020, 04:45 PM
This Post Feels Right

Send a message via AIM to Captain_jovi Send a message via MSN to Captain_jovi

Classic Rock market is massive sure, but the key word there is classic. It doesn't apply when we're talking about new material and how often it would be played. Those stations aren't necessarily putting the new Rolling Stones into heavy rotation.
Old 07-25-2020, 05:24 PM
Price of posting

Beyond having a successful hook song or not, these more classic rock bands sell a lot of records because they preserve their fan base very well. Bon Jovi however has never kept his fans, with each album he loses a fan base, and having had no radio hits in recent years, he doesn't get a new fan base like they used to in the early 2000s.

A return to rock wise, you may not get a hit song accessible to everyone, but it would get a large chunk of your fan base, and bring you some glory these days. It would also be a breath of fresh air for his music. I think that the album would sell better than now.
Old 07-25-2020, 05:43 PM
This Post Feels Right

Quote:
Originally Posted by rolo_tomachi View Post
Beyond having a successful hook song or not, these more classic rock bands sell a lot of records because they preserve their fan base very well. Bon Jovi however has never kept his fans, with each album he loses a fan base, and having had no radio hits in recent years, he doesn't get a new fan base like they used to in the early 2000s.

A return to rock wise, you may not get a hit song accessible to everyone, but it would get a large chunk of your fan base, and bring you some glory these days. It would also be a breath of fresh air for his music. I think that the album would sell better than now.
But how would the new songs be successful at radio if classic rock radio doesn't play the new singles? Saying "has had no radio hits in recent years" is kind of a moot point then, isn't it?

They got a new fan base in the 2000's by adapting their sound to a younger audience which worked. They've constantly tried to recreate that effect over and over and over again and it hasn't worked so it's silly we're saying it's okay to do it when it works but sad and pathetic when it doesn't.
Old 07-25-2020, 05:47 PM
Price of posting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain_jovi View Post
But how would the new songs be successful at radio if classic rock radio doesn't play the new singles? Saying "has had no radio hits in recent years" is kind of a moot point then, isn't it?

They got a new fan base in the 2000's by adapting their sound to a younger audience which worked. They've constantly tried to recreate that effect over and over and over again and it hasn't worked so it's silly we're saying it's okay to do it when it works but sad and pathetic when it doesn't.
Bon Jovi no longer has anything to do to bring a new generation, but he can recover the rock fan base, which was losing over the years.
Old 07-25-2020, 05:53 PM
This Post Feels Right

It's too late. It's done.
Old 07-25-2020, 05:57 PM
The Distance

Quote:

You guys are looking at it way too deep.

I'm a Paul McCartney fan. I love everything Beatles and early solo stuff... I'll try some recent stuff from time to time and it just doesn't grab me so I move on... I don't think any less of the guy, I don't think he ruined his legacy, and I'm still as much of a fan as I was before.

And there are plenty of other bands and artists I feel the same way about.

So sure, you're going to have those pompous fans who need every album to be 100% perfect or they'll bail... but most fans, cherish the classics, might find a few things from the newer music they like and understand that it's kinda just the pathway for most, if not all, artists.

Bon Jovi are legends. They had a killer 80s and 90s and very good 00's to 10.

And even looking back from '13 to now, there are some really good things out there...

The guys pushing 60. 40 years in, you gotta give a little wiggle room.

My 3 biggest issue are:
1. Writing about politics.
2. His voice - but more so, getting the right producer who can make him sound more natural in a studio.
3. Using the John Shanks sound on every album. It's all so repetitive.

But I feel like all three are fixable... I'm hopeful that this NEW album will surprise me. I'm looking forward to Beautiful Drug. I really liked what I heard of that.

Sent from my HTC6535LVW using Tapatalk
Old 07-25-2020, 06:08 PM
Blame it on the love of posting

Isn't 'staying relevant' a big wink at the younger generations? Jon's been chasing fads and number one hits for years and all those efforts are made to grab a new audience. So what if a few bickering die-hards fall off? RDK - no one expects another perfect album but when 4 consecutive singles suck, you gotta wake up *and brush your teeth*.
Old 07-25-2020, 08:02 PM
Jovi Freak

Quote:
Crazy Lixx's "Ruff Justice" was the best AOR/hair metal record since Crashdiet's debut. It sold worse than Burning Bridges.

Quote:
-The Scorpions went on a farewell tour 10 years ago. They've since released a couple of new records. I can only imagine your reaction if BJ pulled this shit. And you're not seriously defending stuff like Eye 2 Eye?

-AC/DC have updated their sound. Right.

-Black Sabbath have updated their sound. Right. They also played zero new songs by the end of the last tour.

-Mötley Crüe haven't released a new studio album since 2008. They also pulled the faux farewell card, and Vince sounds about as good as JBJ nowadays.

-David Bowie died about 5 years ago. He had been on a ~10 year hiatus until shortly before.

-The Stones haven't updated their sound. Period. Their last record was a blues cover record, their last album of original material was released in 2005.

-Iron Maiden have sounded the same since the mid 90s. Which is fine.

Apparently the list is very much finite.

Quote:
Bon Jovi no longer has anything to do to bring a new generation, but he can recover the rock fan base, which was losing over the years.
Why would you think that? Serious question. You just claim that. Why would young rock fans who grew up on Alter Bridge, Slipknot and Halestorm be awaiting the return of Bon Jovi to a rock sound?