Jovitalk - Bon Jovi Fan Community
Home Register Members FAQ Mark Forums Read

#08 - Amelie Arena, Tampa, Florida, April 15th 2022

Tour Discussion

Old 04-16-2022, 06:20 AM
Undiscovered Posts

I just got home from the show. I’ve been what I consider to be a hardcore fan since 2000. Attended probably 25 shows; a few runaway events; the cruise. Went tonight with my wife and 3 boys; sat close (set list attached as proof)

The fact that they didn’t play Wanted is criminal. As you can see it was on the set list but just skipped. On the way home my 12 year old asked why it wasn’t played. You just can’t not play one of your core hits, irrespective of the why

When you are there live, you truly do not notice the vocal issues unless you are looking to hear them. The background singers cover up Jon significantly and the instruments are loud and tight enough you just don’t notice. My wife told me that she noticed he was struggling. I asked her how; she said only because she’s gone with me 15 plus times. Again, that shows that Johnny casual fan probably wouldn’t notice the slippage

I was in the front with several self proclaimed die hards. Literally none of them could even tell that the songs were tuned down a step. I could notice Jon was singing behind the beat; a sign of straining to ensure that he hit notes, as well as a lack of confidence; no one else could tell he was behind. Not claiming to be an expert, just stating again that Johnny casual fan isn’t seeing what “we” are

I absolutely enjoyed myself being there. I’d say it was 80 percent as good as a show I would have seen in 2013, which is still enjoyable. That means Johnny casual fan had a blast. Which means get your minds right for the 40th anniversary tour
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 5FB48F8F-32B4-4935-9A31-BE159CAEC5A0.jpg (12.2 KB, 109 views)

Last edited by spankymagee; 04-16-2022 at 06:23 AM..

Old 04-16-2022, 06:49 AM
The Distance

Quote:
Originally Posted by spankymagee View Post
When you are there live, you truly do not notice the vocal issues unless you are looking to hear them. The background singers cover up Jon significantly and the instruments are loud and tight enough you just don’t notice. My wife told me that she noticed he was struggling. I asked her how; she said only because she’s gone with me 15 plus times. Again, that shows that Johnny casual fan probably wouldn’t notice the slippage

I was in the front with several self proclaimed die hards. Literally none of them could even tell that the songs were tuned down a step. I could notice Jon was singing behind the beat; a sign of straining to ensure that he hit notes, as well as a lack of confidence; no one else could tell he was behind. Not claiming to be an expert, just stating again that Johnny casual fan isn’t seeing what “we” are

I absolutely enjoyed myself being there. I’d say it was 80 percent as good as a show I would have seen in 2013, which is still enjoyable. That means Johnny casual fan had a blast. Which means get your minds right for the 40th anniversary tour
Great update. Crazy about Wanted though. It's on the set so there must have been a valid reason for it. Maybe Jon's voice couldn't handle it.

So true about not noticing the struggles as much when you're there. You can tell he hits a bad note ever now and then but nothing like what you hear on YT.

Sent from my SM-A015V using Tapatalk

Last edited by Rdkopper; 04-16-2022 at 07:01 AM..
Old 04-16-2022, 09:33 AM
Jovi FANatic

not playing wanted is plain stupid, if anything bad name or bad medicine could be dropped.

Wanted is a must.
Old 04-16-2022, 09:44 AM
Jovi FANatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by spankymagee View Post
I just got home from the show. I’ve been what I consider to be a hardcore fan since 2000. Attended probably 25 shows; a few runaway events; the cruise. Went tonight with my wife and 3 boys; sat close (set list attached as proof)

The fact that they didn’t play Wanted is criminal. As you can see it was on the set list but just skipped. On the way home my 12 year old asked why it wasn’t played. You just can’t not play one of your core hits, irrespective of the why

Thanks for the review, glad you enjoyed it.

Seeing where Wanted was on the set list it can only be his voice that wasn't up to it. Not sure why the acoustic section has been dropped. Wanted has been done acoustic before, we had it in the UK along with I'll be there for you and In these arms, admittedly a long time ago. That would be a way to get in a couple of hits and perhaps be kinder to his voice. Either way Wanted absolutely has to be played.

American Reckoning is way too political for me to enjoy as a song, it's a drag if I'm honest. Seeing WLOL coming back is frustrating when you consider some over tracks that never see light of day. Each tour gets more annoying and I really can't see him getting this tour to work in Europe.
Old 04-16-2022, 09:53 AM
Jovi FANatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by DestinationJovi View Post
No Wanted tonight.
No Everett Bradley either so maybe there's a link if Jon's had to work harder with his vocals during the main set. Wouldn't surprise me if this tour ends early...
Old 04-16-2022, 10:10 AM
Posting everyday

Is it known why Everett Bradley wasn't there last night?

Gesendet von meinem X30 mit Tapatalk
Old 04-16-2022, 10:18 AM
Next 100 Posts

Is Wanted really that difficult to sing? Asking as a genuine non-vocalist-expert. I used to think the rest of the band dragged Jon through it anyway…
Old 04-16-2022, 10:43 AM
Next 100 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildBilly View Post
Is Wanted really that difficult to sing? Asking as a genuine non-vocalist-expert. I used to think the rest of the band dragged Jon through it anyway…
'Wanted' does have a few highs but nothing too harsh unlike 'Prayer' but the song does require a consistent 'high' tone and Jon's biggest problem is switching vocal registers, he can longer switch between mids and highs or even lows.
Old 04-16-2022, 10:53 AM
Next 100 Posts

Send a message via MSN to jimmyjovi89

Honestly if it’s about saving his voice I am
sure most people would be happy losing American Reckoning and WLOL from the set and getting Wanted instead.

Also they could of just played the TLFR version in the abandoned acoustic section.
Old 04-16-2022, 11:58 AM
These Days

If his voice just can’t take Wanted, let the audience sing up to the second verse, have Phil do a verse and more than half the song is covered. If it’s that or don’t play it I’d say the second alternative is better. Wanted has to be done especially in the States.

A song I don’t get why he pushes himself to play is I’ll Be There For You. It’s absolutely horrible. Rather do Bed of Roses. That was one of the few songs he did a decent vocal delivery on in 2019. Why not bring back a snippet of Diamond Ring as intro for it like back in the days and you’d have something interesting for the set list as well.