Jovitalk - Bon Jovi Fan Community
Home Register Members FAQ

#08 - Amelie Arena, Tampa, Florida, April 15th 2022

Tour Discussion

Old 04-16-2022, 11:02 AM
Wanted Dead or Alive

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildBilly View Post
Is Wanted really that difficult to sing? Asking as a genuine non-vocalist-expert. I used to think the rest of the band dragged Jon through it anyway…

It probably really depends on your voice type, but personally I do find it quite difficult to sing compared to other songs that may seem way harder to sing at first glance.

I think if you have more of a coloratura voice type (so your voice is very agile and singing runs comes to you pretty easily) Wanted probably isn’t particularly difficult to sing, but if you have a much thicker voice like Jon does you gotta work way harder to hit all the notes correctly. And since he’s already struggling with pitch on songs that are much more suitable for his voice, I can see why Wanted is such a monster to get through nowadays.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old 04-16-2022, 11:49 AM
Born to be my Baby

Quote:
Originally Posted by DryCounty View Post
If his voice just can’t take Wanted, let the audience sing up to the second verse, have Phil do a verse and more than half the song is covered. If it’s that or don’t play it I’d say the second alternative is better. Wanted has to be done especially in the States.

A song I don’t get why he pushes himself to play is I’ll Be There For You. It’s absolutely horrible. Rather do Bed of Roses. That was one of the few songs he did a decent vocal delivery on in 2019. Why not bring back a snippet of Diamond Ring as intro for it like back in the days and you’d have something interesting for the set list as well.
It's OK they don't do things like 'back in the days' - that's what we all complain about when things don't change. As much as I love BOR and Always, they won't be in this tour. IBTFY is the one they have to play cause it's probably huge in the US. Bigger than BOR or Always. Still - when you go and see BJ, they aren't putting up a greatest hits. I wonder if it's vocal related or anything else.

For a band like Bon Jovi not playing BOR, Always, Runaway, Blaze of Glory... that's a lot of big ones to easily make the crowd happy. Yet, Jon puls 'Whole lot of leaving' in. Maybe cause he saw a 'whole lot of leaving' in the audience?
Old 04-16-2022, 01:16 PM
Next 100 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elvistico View Post
It's OK they don't do things like 'back in the days' - that's what we all complain about when things don't change. As much as I love BOR and Always, they won't be in this tour. IBTFY is the one they have to play cause it's probably huge in the US. Bigger than BOR or Always. Still - when you go and see BJ, they aren't putting up a greatest hits. I wonder if it's vocal related or anything else.

For a band like Bon Jovi not playing BOR, Always, Runaway, Blaze of Glory... that's a lot of big ones to easily make the crowd happy. Yet, Jon puls 'Whole lot of leaving' in. Maybe cause he saw a 'whole lot of leaving' in the audience?
This is what confuses me. It’s not a greatest hits set, it’s not a new album set, and it’s not a set for the die hards that are just looking for rarities. The song choices are so poor, consistently so. Their back catalogue is vast - Jon must know what people really want to hear so it must just be a case of picking 20-30 easily sung songs and making the ‘best’ of it.
Old 04-16-2022, 01:35 PM
Blame it on the love of posting

Eddie Trunk was seen at the show last night. It'll be interesting to hear his thoughts.

Spankymagee, I'm happy to hear you had a good time, but you were front row. Of course you had a good time. The energy up front makes up for Jon's terrible vocals. Johnny casual in the back of the arena or in the 2nd level heard Jon's issues much better than you.

If (IF!) Everett has covid, it's only a matter of time before more band members get sick and the tour is cancelled.
Old 04-16-2022, 02:01 PM
Wanted Dead or Alive

Quote:
Originally Posted by DestinationJovi View Post
If (IF!) Everett has covid, it's only a matter of time before more band members get sick and the tour is cancelled.
IF he does have COVID I'm assuming everyone else got tested and came back negative or else I highly doubt they would've played the show last night.

They could still catch it elsewhere of course, but that risk has been there since right from the start of the tour.
Old 04-16-2022, 02:02 PM
Hardest Part is the Night

Another fan said Everett has Covid, as well as 35 crew members. His backing vocals were really missed, I’m sure.

The setlist selection is all about what Jon can sing now, IMO. He even struggles with This house, it’s bad. I was at Charlotte and Greenville, 3rd and 6th rows. The music does drown him out, but we could still hear and see him struggling, coming in late, etc. The crowd in Greenville went nuts for I’ll be there for you (including me.) it was a huge hit here. I still had a great time. But I have to wonder, how will he have ANY voice left for a 40th anniversary tour?
Old 04-16-2022, 02:59 PM
The Distance

Quote:
Originally Posted by DryCounty View Post
If his voice just can’t take Wanted, let the audience sing up to the second verse, have Phil do a verse and more than half the song is covered. If it’s that or don’t play it I’d say the second alternative is better. Wanted has to be done especially in the States.

A song I don’t get why he pushes himself to play is I’ll Be There For You. It’s absolutely horrible. Rather do Bed of Roses. That was one of the few songs he did a decent vocal delivery on in 2019. Why not bring back a snippet of Diamond Ring as intro for it like back in the days and you’d have something interesting for the set list as well.
Not that simple. Richie taking a verse, then maybe... Phil? Not so much.

Sent from my SM-A015V using Tapatalk
Old 04-16-2022, 03:02 PM
The Distance

Bon Jovi's catelog is very difficult to sing. I've tried Wanted a few times in a karaoke bar and failed miserably.

Jon makes it look easy but it's extremely difficult.

Old 04-16-2022, 03:45 PM
The Distance

I actually feel sorry for Jon.

I honestly think this tour was Jon's way of getting himself out there and doing it for him.

He was watching those older archive videos, never played the 2020 songs in front of alive audience, and just needed to fill a void.

I think his voice is so damaged that it's just not built for this anymore.

Old 04-16-2022, 03:49 PM
Blame it on the love of posting

Quote:
Originally Posted by blazeofglory View Post
IF he does have COVID I'm assuming everyone else got tested and came back negative or else I highly doubt they would've played the show last night.

They could still catch it elsewhere of course, but that risk has been there since right from the start of the tour.
He does have covid, along with 15 other crew members. I'm sure they are all tested daily. Negative yesterday does not mean you're in the clear. It just depends on when you were exposed.

A month ago John Mayer's drummer and background singer tested positive; Mayer tested negative so he played a show that night. The following day he tested positive and the next several shows were cancelled.

Expect more band members and/or crew to test positive in the coming days.