Home Register Members FAQ Mark Forums Read

Positives & Negatives - 2022 US Tour

Tour Discussion

Old 05-05-2022, 05:04 PM
This Post Feels Right

Send a message via AIM to Captain_jovi Send a message via MSN to Captain_jovi

Quote:
Originally Posted by angelsambo View Post
in 2015 they still had a raw rock sound everything changed after shanks joined the band on stage

150922 Bon Jovi Live In Seoul - Raise Your Hands - YouTube
Jon's voice aside, this is such a cool sounding era of the band, yeah.

Old 05-06-2022, 05:16 AM
Suddenly

Quote:
Originally Posted by efpg0708 View Post
I think that the song selection more than shows that he doesn’t care. He plays songs that nobody wants to hear but him. Songs like WLOL and LH for example don’t do anything for both the die hards and the casual fans. And as for the argument: “it’s easy on his voice”, nowadays no songs is, and there are much better ones that are at the same level of difficulty as those two.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Not sure if I agree with the "nobody wants to hear" part but that's just my opinion, I suppose those two are overplayed, I'm a casual fan and would've been thrilled to hear "Lost Highway" on the original tour and the other times the band played it before Jon's voice got even worse. Maybe I'm the only one but I Ioved it. AXS TV aired on April 22nd (my 30th birthday) that show where the band performed the whole album, guess it must've been shortened for TV since I noticed it wasn't like the DVD track listing, but I plan on buying it. The only thing is though I feel that the song really needs Lorenza Ponce's violin, not sure how they play it live when she isn't a full time band member.

Other than that I can't think of a positives/negatives list right now. Jon's voice is obviously the big one so it would be kinda redundant to say it again but it makes me sad.

Sent from my moto e5 play using Tapatalk
Old 05-06-2022, 06:01 AM
Next 100 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by angelsambo View Post
in 2015 they still had a raw rock sound everything changed after shanks joined the band on stage

150922 Bon Jovi Live In Seoul - Raise Your Hands - YouTube
Yeah I've also thought the same, the whole atmosphere changed musically onstage when Shanks joined the live band,I've noticed when watching videos from the 2015 tour that the band still maintained a very raw rock sound the classics still musically sounded very hard rock. Shanks guitar playing during the classics comes off as sounding generic and 'pop' sounding, it's too clean sounding instead of the heavy guitar distortion tone which most of the hits and classics require.

Last edited by musiccritic101; 05-06-2022 at 06:06 AM..
Old 05-06-2022, 06:21 AM
This Post Feels Right

Send a message via AIM to Captain_jovi Send a message via MSN to Captain_jovi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shay_L View Post
Not sure if I agree with the "nobody wants to hear" part but that's just my opinion, I suppose those two are overplayed, I'm a casual fan and would've been thrilled to hear "Lost Highway" on the original tour and the other times the band played it before Jon's voice got even worse. Maybe I'm the only one but I Ioved it. AXS TV aired on April 22nd (my 30th birthday) that show where the band performed the whole album, guess it must've been shortened for TV since I noticed it wasn't like the DVD track listing, but I plan on buying it. The only thing is though I feel that the song really needs Lorenza Ponce's violin, not sure how they play it live when she isn't a full time band member.

Other than that I can't think of a positives/negatives list right now. Jon's voice is obviously the big one so it would be kinda redundant to say it again but it makes me sad.

Sent from my moto e5 play using Tapatalk
To me at least.....neither are bad songs. I would put Leavin' in my top 15 songs of of the post 2000 area. I think the frustration lies in that neither of them are well known. They're two songs Jon really likes, which is great but he has so so so so so so so so many songs that could take that place. The Lost Highway tour song selection has felt like the blueprint since 2007. I think people would appreciate Lost Highway more if it was played once every fifteen shows or something.

It had every right to be there on it's designated tour. It had every right to be sporadically played on the following tours. But with such a rich back catalogue....Lost Highway is the band's 22nd most played song. I know Setlist.fm is a wonky site but its been played one less time than Have a Nice Day. Which was a hit and was played the entire tour preceding it.

Anyways that's my daily rant, haha.
Old 05-07-2022, 02:12 PM
Next 100 Posts

Positives:

Seeing my favourite band.
Jon playing the harmonica
Band being solid

Negatives:

Acoustic set being removed especially since I did not get to see it at my shows
To slow between songs, Jon needing a rest?? Phil / John changing guitars every song. Either way that lull dampens the energy
Set list.
Jon voice, I think set list is now based on what he thinks he can sing. He once blamed RS leaving/Phil joining as the reason for the stagnated set list, well this can’t be used any more

Blood in the Water not being played, I wanted to hear this one
Jul '96 Dublin
Jun '98 Linz JBJ
Aug '00 Zeltweg Austria
Aug '00 Dublin
Jun '01 Dublin
Jun '01 Vienna
May '03 Vienna
May '06 Dublin
Jun '08 Dublin
22/23 Jun '10 London(02)
29/30 Jun '11 Dublin
22 Jul '11 Vienna
16 Oct '12 London Richie
2013 Manchester/Slane Castle/London/LA/Las Vegas
30 Jun '14 Dublin Richie Solo
Mar '17 San Diego/LA
7/8 Apr '18 New Jersey
15/16 June '19, Dublin
July '19 Dusseldorf/Munich
Apr '22 Austin/Houston
Old 05-07-2022, 04:45 PM
Undiscovered Posts

Positives:

I enjoyed the shows I went to. All sorts of reasons can be suggested as to why this was, but ultimately I found that in the moment, the gigs were great fun.

The clips I saw from the Nashville gig (posted on the thread on this forum) suggested to me that Jon still can pull it out of the bag. It could be that the tour was over and the shackles were off so he felt more relaxed, or that he felt he had something to prove and wanted to go out with a bang. Whether he would have been able to pull that off several nights in a row is another question.

Jon on the harmonica. I don't think I've seen that live before and I am so glad I had the opportunity.

Negatives:

Jon's well-documented struggles. Seeing an aged rocker unable to hold a tune like they used to be able to is one thing, seeing them struggle, in pain and frustrated on stage is quite another. By contrast, I saw Blondie at the London O2 Arena last week. I would say that Debbie Harry can hold a tune even less than Jon can (she is almost 77!) but she coped better than Jon did. There's of course quite a difference between Blondie and Bon Jovi songs.

The lack of variation on the setlist, especially after we were told there were going to be 'deep cuts' and they apparently rehearsed 20+ songs that didn't get played. I would have loved to have seen Joey, a real favourite of mine!

The cutting of the acoustic set. It was was a good addition for all sorts of reasons and I'm glad I was in Greenville for its final airing.
Old 05-07-2022, 05:57 PM
These Days

Do we have to give the same amount? OK, I'll try with two each.

Positives:
- The LOAP intro / entrance through the crowd during the last show in Nashville was cool.
- Thanks to the new tuning, with my below average baritone voice, I can now pretty easily singalong to the whole set in the few videos I watched on YouTube.

Negatives:
- I am now a better singer than my favorite singer of all time.
- The sheer amount of "vocal reaction" videos I saw on YouTube from people watching videos on this tour (even Jerry had to address it!) should tell everyone the damage this tour has done to the legacy of this once great band.
Old 05-07-2022, 08:28 PM
Blame it on the love of posting

Default Positives & Negatives - 2022 US Tour

I think I’m not going to list the same positive and negative aspects as almost everyone on this thread. I agree on almost everything.

For me the highlight would be the opening of the last show, that LOAP made me remember why I love this band. That was a brave move.

Hearing him struggle on every song during the entire tour breaks my heart of course.

I almost booked myself a flight to the US, I almost went to see them in Nashville, yet on the last minute I decided not to go. Right now I wish I had. It may have been the last opportunity to see them in a proper full band setting.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 05-14-2022, 07:44 PM
Lay your Posts on Me

Send a message via MSN to Gabriel Shoes

Quote:
Originally Posted by musiccritic101 View Post
Yeah I've also thought the same, the whole atmosphere changed musically onstage when Shanks joined the live band,I've noticed when watching videos from the 2015 tour that the band still maintained a very raw rock sound the classics still musically sounded very hard rock. Shanks guitar playing during the classics comes off as sounding generic and 'pop' sounding, it's too clean sounding instead of the heavy guitar distortion tone which most of the hits and classics require.
Clearly Shanks is one of Jon's closest friends. After losing Richie, he felt that he needed someone to look after him.

I'm not a big fan of his overly compressed sound production either but this guy is actually helping the band the stick together.

Well done, little buddy.
Old 05-14-2022, 09:10 PM
Next 100 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabriel Shoes View Post
Clearly Shanks is one of Jon's closest friends. After losing Richie, he felt that he needed someone to look after him.

I'm not a big fan of his overly compressed sound production either but this guy is actually helping the band the stick together.
From what I heard and to my understanding Shanks joining the touring band was a last minute thing and I doubt Shanks has anything to do with "helping the band stick together".

Shanks isn't core to the existence of this band, the only thing Shanks has done is tarnished the band's reputation with the amount of generic crap that's been put out in the last decade.