Jovitalk - Bon Jovi Fan Community
Home Register Members FAQ

Classic rock TLFR review - 4/5

General BJ Discussion

Old 11-01-2003, 12:36 AM
Jovi Geek

Default Classic rock TLFR review - 4/5

Thanks to Woody on backstage for posting this:

The new Classic Rock is out here in the UK with Aerosmith and Kiss on the cover and this is their review of TLFR

WANTED: RETREADS AND ALIVES

If the thought of another ghost-of-Bon Jovi-past "greatest hits" Christmas hamper sounds unapprtising, take a bite of these inspired, Yuletide New Jersey reinventions. Mmm, tasty.

"TIS THE SEASON TO BE JOLLY, FA LA LA LA LA LA LA. When record companies make lots of lolly, fa la la la la la la la....." And at this time of year their most lucrative and popular schemes involve compliation albums, "greatest hits" and "best ofs" from rock and pop's most recognisable names. Face it: if a relative knows the name of at least one band you're fond of, chances are that you may well receive some sort of compiliation in your Christmas stocking.

So it was with some trepidation that Classic Rock learned that Bon Jovi were to release another "greatest hits" package just in time for Christmas. Hadn't they done that already with Cross Road? Granted that was nearly a decade ago and there have been a fair few hit singles since then. But not enough to warrant a second volume surely? Then word reached us that, actually, it wasn't an ordinary best of, oh no, this was actually Bon Jovi's greatest hits live and acoustic.

Now, it's well documented that JBJ and main sparring partner Richie Sambora are prone to breaking out the battered old six-strings to deliver acoustic versions of their songs. In fact many credit their performance at the 1989 MTV Video Music Awards, when Sambora and Bon Jovi delievered stripped-down versions of "Livin' On A Prayer" and "Wanted Dead Or Alive" with just two guitars, as the moment when the MTV suits saw the valididy of acoustic performance and comissioned their "Unplugged" series.

OK, so that could have been fun, and at least added some value for the fanswho already have everything the Jove have ever committed to tape. But then the story got a little stranger.........

No, the new Bon Jovi album wasn't going to be an acoustic live album - despite the fact that the band had recorded an almost four-hour-long acoustic show in Japan at the end of the Bounce tour - it was going to be a selection of their best-known songs. But - and get this - Bon Jovi were going to re-record them.

The first question that springs to mind is:why?? I wouldn't want to hear re-recorded versions of the Stones' "Brown Sugar", Bowie's "The Jean Genie" or Zep's "Black Dog" for example. The reason I love these songs is for their inconsistencies, the familiarity, the sense of how they belong to you. To coin an old phrase:if it ain't broke, dont fix it.
Consequently I approached "This Left Feels Right" with some apprehension. The track list looked comprehensive, but what on earth were the band going to do with these modern rock classics?

Well, the unexpected it turns out. While the guitar motif of "Wanted Dead Or Alive" is recognisable, Jon's voice is initially put through a Vocoder of sorts, and the almost inperceptibly altered melody has a syncopated drum pattern that lends a "Kashmir"-like ambience, especially towards the cresendo when orchestral stabs replace the big Sambora solo.
"Livin' On A Prayer", instead of making it's presence felt by way of the talkbox signifier, has instead been transformed into a hypnotic acoustic guitar refrain, with a keyboard backing that has an almost unnerving "Tubular Bells" quality to it. But the biggest surprise is the chorus, where Jon trades lines with a female vocalist (Olivia D'Abo, wife of TLFR producer Pat Leonard) making it almost a conversation whispered between confidants. It's surprising, but it works.
One characteristic Jove element conspicious by its absence is the use of massive backing vocals;those gang's-all-here "woah, woahs" are noticably absent initially in the overhaul of "Bad Medicine". Gone too are the traditional David Bryan keyboard stabs, replaced by a rolling, country slide guitar motif that lends the song a sultry, southern groove.
Of the 13 songs, its the rockier, uptempo ones that work best in their makeovers (the raucous "It's My Life" as a mournful soulful lament,anyone??) The ballads are not startlingly different and, sensibly, the band have only included three. "Bed Of Roses" with the addition of a string section; "I'll Be There For You" with harmony vocal from Sambora throughout;and "Always" rendered slightly faster and with a trippy beat.

The most startling reworking comes with "You Give Love A Bad Name" which is barely recognisable from the original. With recent albums by Lea DeLaria, Curtis Stigers and Jamie Cullum looking beyond the great American songbook to the rock world for inspiration for their jazz records, it seems Bon Jovi have taken note and given their "new"..."Bad Name" a swing beat and a walking double-bass line. And it's astonishing.
During "Wanted Dead Or Alive" the lyric has been changed slightly, with Jon now singing "Still playing for keeps, same old me, same old band..." Well, yes it is the same old band. But you've never heard them like this before. A revalation.

IN A NUTSHELL

Not content to rest on their laurels during the holly season, Bon Jovi tinsel up their hits - with quite astonishing results.

Review by Sian LLewellyn
4 stars out of a possible 5

New Jersey is not just a state
- Its a religion!!

Old 11-01-2003, 12:53 AM
Jovi Obsession

Interesting, cant make my mind up though!

Wembley Stadium 2000
Glasgow, Dublin, Huddersfield, Milton Keynes, Cardiff 2001
Glasgow, Dublin, Wolverhampton, Manchester, Hyde Park 2003
Dublin, Munich, Manchester, Southampton, Hull 2006
The o2 London 2007
Frankfurt, Amsterdam, Manchester, London 2008
The o2 London - 8 nights, 2010
Dublin, Hyde Park 2011
Manchester, Hyde Park, IOW 2013
Old 11-01-2003, 12:53 AM
Jovi Geek

Send a message via AIM to Miracle Send a message via MSN to Miracle

Thanks for posting this Mike. Interesting review and a pretty good score!

Stephanie

A queen upon my barstool throne
I vow to never drink alone,
I only drink with friends or total strangers
Old 11-01-2003, 07:00 AM
Jovi FANatic

Send a message via MSN to Taija

Wow, I'm glad they liked it!!! Seems that it's either the fans OR critics who like something "the Jove" do, but not both Thanks for posting Mike
Old 11-01-2003, 08:56 AM
I Don't Want To Post Forever

Send a message via MSN to allmike Send a message via Yahoo to allmike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taija
Wow, I'm glad they liked it!!! Seems that it's either the fans OR critics who like something "the Jove" do, but not both Thanks for posting Mike
Now when fans seems like hating the album, critics turn around and love it. About BJ there never be anything straight things.
The Christmas tree, I wish I was the star that went on top
I wish I was the evidence, I wish I was the grounds
For 50 million hands upraised and open toward the sky
Old 11-01-2003, 11:05 AM
Bicycle Repair Man
Blaze of Posting

I think he meant "Retards and alives", because without sounding politically incorrect that's what the woman's voice on LOAP sounds like! I think if anyone else at Classic Rock reviewed that it would get 1 star at most - I would stake my life on that I think! They've obviously chosen someone who kind of likes the band and has some very misguided facts, or chooses to misinterpret them completely: a la 4 hour Yokohama show. We all know the story there...

Surprising they should think that since the closest any song gets to being rock is Wanted - the only song i think with any heavy overdrive and that lasts for at most 2 seconds... and is pretty poor really... It's not a rock album anyway and I hate it because of what they've done to the songs that meant so much to me.

I've got the tools, I got the girl
and I certainly got the tools to satisfy
Plus make you beg for more
Old 11-01-2003, 01:39 PM
The Distance

Send a message via ICQ to Iceman Send a message via MSN to Iceman

Quote:
Originally Posted by letitrock
It's not a rock album anyway and I hate it because of what they've done to the songs that meant so much to me.
That's pretty much how I feel. How could they think they could make better versions of the songs? Why did they even try?

Ice

Only dead fish go with the flow.
Old 11-01-2003, 01:49 PM
Bicycle Repair Man
Blaze of Posting

I don't think I'm the only one who's used the word "raped" to describe what has been done to some of the great songs that have been reworked for this album.

I've got the tools, I got the girl
and I certainly got the tools to satisfy
Plus make you beg for more
Old 11-01-2003, 01:50 PM
Jovi Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iceman
Quote:
Originally Posted by letitrock
It's not a rock album anyway and I hate it because of what they've done to the songs that meant so much to me.
That's pretty much how I feel. How could they think they could make better versions of the songs? Why did they even try?

Ice
Did they say they were making better versions of the songs? I thought they were going to make just different versions. And they did.
Old 11-01-2003, 01:55 PM
The Distance

Send a message via ICQ to Iceman Send a message via MSN to Iceman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stut-The-Finn
Did they say they were making better versions of the songs? I thought they were going to make just different versions. And they did.

If you make a cover version, you either stick closely to the original version or do a completely different version. The point in the different version is that it's supposed to be better than the original. If it's worse, why bother doing it?

I think the same thing applies here. Why rape the songs? If you can't make them better, don't record them at all.

Ice

Only dead fish go with the flow.