Jovitalk - Bon Jovi Fan Community
Home Register Members FAQ Mark Forums Read

Madison Square Garden 2008 - Drums sound funny?

General BJ Discussion

Old 09-22-2019, 09:15 AM
Jovi Fan

Default Madison Square Garden 2008 - Drums sound funny?

Has anyone else thought the drums (snare) sounded funny? As in too much reverb or something? Its made the concert less enjoyable imo. Curious if anyone else has picked up on it.

Old 09-22-2019, 09:35 AM
Dry County

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonboy25 View Post
Has anyone else thought the drums (snare) sounded funny? As in too much reverb or something? Its made the concert less enjoyable imo. Curious if anyone else has picked up on it.
Blame Obie for that.

He f*cked up the whole sound mix on the DVD, including Jon's vocals (WAY too upfront, which didn't sound particularly enjoyable even back then when his voice was still in good shape), Richie's guitar sound (somewhat overly compressed) and, definitely, Tico's drums (sounds like he's banging a cardboard box).
Old 09-22-2019, 01:16 PM
Posting everyday

Honestly, I don't think Obie knows how to mix a live sound. Everything is dry like in the studio, there's no concert feeling to his mixes and MSG pretty much is the top of that.

Gesendet von meinem Nexus 5X mit Tapatalk
Old 09-22-2019, 01:58 PM
Lay your Posts on Me

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonjovi90 View Post
Honestly, I don't think Obie knows how to mix a live sound. Everything is dry like in the studio, there's no concert feeling to his mixes and MSG pretty much is the top of that.

The recent YouTube videos are exactly the same. No reverb whatsoever and the crowd noise barely audible. Seems to defeat the point of a live video if you remove the atmosphere.
Old 09-22-2019, 03:05 PM
Posting everyday

Quote:
Originally Posted by james_d View Post
The recent YouTube videos are exactly the same. No reverb whatsoever and the crowd noise barely audible. Seems to defeat the point of a live video if you remove the atmosphere.
Exactly. The peak were the live bonus tracks from the NMS when Prayer was mixed so bad that it seemed no one was singing when Jon asked them to do so.

Old 09-22-2019, 05:45 PM
Jovi FANatic

Send a message via ICQ to Johny

This whole project was a failure. Unfotunately it'S only HD concert we've got so far.

I just don't get why they had to mess up the setlist. The structure was clearly given, just some songs were rotated. Tehy even wore the same clothes. The unnatural transition from Born To Be My Baby to Blaze Of Glory etc. Skipping Bad Name?? There isn't a different song which more staple.
I get that they could've put there only Blood On Blood or Bed Of Roses, so it's logical that one of those was in the bonus section.
It irritates everytime I watch it
"If you got a dream, no matter what anybody tells you, if you think that you’ve got to go for it, then you should go for it, because you’ve got one life. And the next time somebody tells you: ‘You can’t do that’ you can tell them to screw themselves, because it’s your life and you do what the hell you want with it. So this is a song about having a dream and chasing it, till you find the Bright Lights." - Aldo Nova.
Aldo Nova - Bright Lights
Old 09-22-2019, 06:13 PM
Posting everyday

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johny View Post
This whole project was a failure. Unfotunately it'S only HD concert we've got so far.

I just don't get why they had to mess up the setlist. The structure was clearly given, just some songs were rotated. Tehy even wore the same clothes. The unnatural transition from Born To Be My Baby to Blaze Of Glory etc. Skipping Bad Name?? There isn't a different song which more staple.

I get that they could've put there only Blood On Blood or Bed Of Roses, so it's logical that one of those was in the bonus section.

It irritates everytime I watch it
We've had HD concerts going as far back as 2005? They were mostly live broadcasts, but they were usually mixed better.

Old 09-22-2019, 06:44 PM
Jovi FANatic

Send a message via ICQ to Johny

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonjovi90 View Post
We've had HD concerts going as far back as 2005? They were mostly live broadcasts, but they were usually mixed better.

I meant proper BR releases.
"If you got a dream, no matter what anybody tells you, if you think that you’ve got to go for it, then you should go for it, because you’ve got one life. And the next time somebody tells you: ‘You can’t do that’ you can tell them to screw themselves, because it’s your life and you do what the hell you want with it. So this is a song about having a dream and chasing it, till you find the Bright Lights." - Aldo Nova.
Aldo Nova - Bright Lights
Old 09-22-2019, 09:35 PM
I Don't Want To Post Forever

Send a message via MSN to liljovi93

I've never been impressed with this release.

I think the sound is poor and we had so many better 2008 shows to choose from. Setlist wise & performance. I remember being delighted after seeing the trailer for the release but being let down by the finished product.

My brother once walked into my room when I had 'Always' on and thought JBJ sounded dreadful compared to other performances. I wouldn't say it's dreadful but it's not great.

Blood On Blood is the standout performance.

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk

Bon Jovi - Old Trafford - June 26th 2003
Bon Jovi - City Of Manchester Stadium - June 4th 2006
Bon Jovi - City Of Manchester Stadium - June 22nd 2008
Bon Jovi - Old Trafford Cricket Ground - June 24th 2011
Bon Jovi - City Of Manchester Stadium - June 8th 2013
Bon Jovi - Slane Castle - June 15th 2013
Bon Jovi - Hyde Park - July 5th 2013
Bon Jovi - London Palladium - October 10th 2016
Excuse me, has anyone got a bottle of orange juice?!

Not afraid of Burning Bridges, cause I know they're gonna light my way...
Old 09-23-2019, 01:51 PM
Wanted Dead or Alive

The band has a crappy record of official live releases. Crush DVD was another, a good setlist in my opinion but an uninspired show. Then, of course, there was the live album, truly awful considering the catalog of live material the band has.

Tags
drums, live, madison square garden