Jovitalk - Bon Jovi Fan Community
Home Register Members FAQ

Fan Questions to Richie from 2010

General BJ Discussion

Old 09-02-2011, 02:40 AM
Lay your Posts on Me

Default Fan Questions to Richie from 2010

I stumbled across this while looking up some guitar stuff. It was a good read (page 2 Richie says that he's got songs recorded and produced for a new album with a "new sound") but the only question that I find weird is the first one. Apparently he doesn't think Lost Highway is a country album because "we're a rock band"... Huh.

http://www.guitarworld.com/dear-guit...mbora?page=0,0

Old 09-02-2011, 12:44 PM
Blame it on the love of posting

nice find, i like reading things like this

24th June 2011 - Old Trafford -Manchester, UK

16th October 2012 - Richie Sambora -Shepherds Bush - London, UK

12th June 2013 - Cardiff City Stadium - Cardiff, UK
Old 09-02-2011, 01:35 PM
Keep the Faith

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonjovi821 View Post
Apparently he doesn't think Lost Highway is a country album because "we're a rock band"... Huh.
Well, they always described it as a 'Bon Jovi album influenced by Nashville' rather than a 'country album by Bon Jovi' - not saying they're right but the claim's nothing new. In a way, I'd be more inclined to agree with them but these days 'country' often really means 'country rock' since that's the most popular form and 'Bon Jovi influenced by Nashville' is gonna be some description of country rock... But it's not all steel guitars, mandolins and banjos, and although slide and violin is in there, it's tasteful rather than in your face. The vocals are very much rock stylistically rather than country too so you'd be hard pushed to describe it as a purely country album.

Thanks for posting the link, a nice little read!

Milton Keynes 1 (HAND), Manchester & Bristol (LH), Dublin 2 (2011), Dublin 2 (THINFS)
Old 09-02-2011, 02:03 PM
Jovi Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOriginalJez View Post
Well, they always described it as a 'Bon Jovi album influenced by Nashville' rather than a 'country album by Bon Jovi' - not saying they're right but the claim's nothing new. In a way, I'd be more inclined to agree with them but these days 'country' often really means 'country rock' since that's the most popular form and 'Bon Jovi influenced by Nashville' is gonna be some description of country rock... But it's not all steel guitars, mandolins and banjos, and although slide and violin is in there, it's tasteful rather than in your face. The vocals are very much rock stylistically rather than country too so you'd be hard pushed to describe it as a purely country album.

Thanks for posting the link, a nice little read!
Well said. My parents listened to what is now known as "old country" so when I heard people say that Lost Highway was country, I just couldn't hear it. A banjo, fiddle and occasional steel guitar does not mean a song or album is country.