Jovitalk - Bon Jovi Fan Community
Home Register Members FAQ Mark Forums Read

Coldplay - Bolton, 4/7/05

Other Bands

Old 07-05-2005, 03:40 PM
Destination any Forum

Send a message via MSN to Mr Bluesman
Default Coldplay - Bolton, 4/7/05

Just a quick review for those who are thinking of going/going/have gone to see a show this tour. I first saw Coldplay back in the Parachutes days… they’ve come on a long way!

Firstly. Getting to the Reebok Stadium in Bolton is an arse, driving around Manchester is shit, but at least we got through all the Coldplay albums in the car. Traffic around the industrial park was bad, but we parked in the stadium car park which was a bonus, though getting back out wasn’t so easy for some.

Rain sucks. But never spoils a concert. Thankfully, stopped before Coldplay took to the stage. Got into the ground at about 4.00 and waited for what seemed like forever in the shitty showers for the first support, Morning Runner. Described as "Toss" by one person after the show, but they were okay. Another hours wait for the next support, Elbow. Pretty well known but I'd not heard much from them before. Their opening song (forget the title) was good and their closing song, Newborn, was great.

9.10 – Finally, the band took to the stage, and kicked off with Square One. It was such a “Wow!” opening, then straight into Politik. Brilliant, really explosive, something to make me think, “Bugger me, this is gonna be one hell of a show”. I can’t remember the set exactly. But, there was a good mix of Parachutes, A Rush Of Blood To The Head and X&Y tracks, each one played in a way that made us want to clap and sing really loud. However, no Shiver, Trouble, X&Y or Swallowed By The Sea.

I’ve come to the conclusion that Chris Martin is a quality front man. In a few years he’ll be put up there with the greats, this much is clear. Involving the crowd at all the appropriate moments, interacting with the crowd between songs, and no promoting fair trade. This is something I was a little worried about after hearing about Bono’s rants. I’d like to point out that I have no problem with rock stars charity campaigns, but I think they are to be left out of the concert. The gig is a time to forget the troubles of the world and concentrate on the music and having a good time.

The final song in the encore was Fix You, where we were told that the song would be played through twice because it was being filmed for the new video! You won’t be disappointed by this video people. No more Chris Martin walking some long path in front of a camera. They waited for the perfect atmosphere to play Fix You. A black sky, lots of waving fans with lighters, and Chris Martin playing to a single hanging light that had been dropped on a rope from the top. Chris came off the piano when the electric guitar kicked in and ‘passionately’ swung the light around above his head, reminded me of Roger Daltrey with his microphone or even Eddie Vedder’s more extravagant swinging. In kicks the drums, and lots more light. Chris lets the light go and fireworks just kicked the crowd up a gear. I don’t think I’ve experienced this atmosphere at a concert for many years. The second time through was a little less exciting, but that was the last song.

The sound was good enough for me. I’m no tech expert, but I had no complaints. There’s a lot of lights and laser-y things going on which was fun and the live pictures beamed on the back of the stage were cool. Apart from Fix You, the audience were a little quiet, but nothing to really affect the band’s performance.

Highlights: Square One, White Shadows, two song acoustic set including Til Kingdom Come and Don’t Panic, Clocks (with rather risky but awesome very-unlike-Coldplay-uptempo-rocked-up outro), In My Place and of course Fix You (x2).

Old 07-05-2005, 06:06 PM
Jovi Freak

cheers for that.

never was the biggest fan, but their set at live 8 last weekend impressed me. Fix you is a great song!

andi
That you are all you really need
JBJ - I believe

"Sambora's face is a mask of joyous disbelief, as if previously unaware of his ability to play the instrument at all. Reaching the last fistful of notes, he does a fair impression of a man who is actually ejaculating into his jet black flares."
. . . Ben Mitchell, Q Magazine
Old 07-05-2005, 09:32 PM
Hardest Part is the Night

Send a message via MSN to Ton Bon Jovi

I think their new album is great! Check out Swallowed in the sea. Great song in my opinion!
Old 07-05-2005, 09:39 PM
This Post Feels Right

yes their new album is fabulous, though depressing.

I so wanted to see them, hmmm... will have to seriously think about it - I just hate the venue it is at.
I miss the fire that was once in your eyes
Well come on and say something now
Old 07-05-2005, 10:15 PM
Destination any Forum

Send a message via MSN to Mr Bluesman

Quote:
Originally Posted by spunkywho
yes their new album is fabulous, though depressing.

I so wanted to see them, hmmm... will have to seriously think about it - I just hate the venue it is at.
Go, seriously, this band does not disappoint.

I just can't believe it was only 2000 when Parachutes came out. To anyone who didn't know who Coldplay were, you'd have thought they'd been around for donkey's years. As I said in my first post, Chris Martin's stage presence can be likened to the big guns. I've only seen one or two better front men, Jon Bon Jovi and Mick Jagger. Martin really does own the stage and makes the audience feel part of the show. Many other front men I've seen tend to forget the other band members, but Buckland, Champion and Berryman are given a share of the spotlight without loosing the audience’s concentration.
Old 07-06-2005, 11:45 AM
Crush

Send a message via MSN to Jim Bon Jovi

seen them post parachutes and rush of blood, my bro and sis caught them the other night too. they said they were great and the two times ive seen them have been no difference.

as for the light show. my bro did a gig with the guys who were doing the lights for the rush of blood tour and they were all fighting to see who got to do it because it was such a good ashow and they had so many expensive toys to play with.
Old 07-06-2005, 12:57 PM
Last Man Standing

Thanks for the review. I knew I shoulda got tickets for Bolton