Jovitalk - Bon Jovi Fan Community
Home Register Members FAQ Mark Forums Read

CD Review: The Mars Volta - Frances The Mute

Other Bands

Old 08-13-2005, 07:14 AM
Jovi Geek

Send a message via AIM to RyanBounce04 Send a message via MSN to RyanBounce04 Send a message via Yahoo to RyanBounce04
Default CD Review: The Mars Volta - Frances The Mute

Alright guys... After seeing the Mars Volta last night for the very first time. I was very skeptical and wasn't really looking forward to them, after the first song, I changed my mind and HAD to go out and buy their latest album.. "Frances The Mute". I talked to Javier about it today and he said it's one the best but funkiest albums he has. He was right... But after popping it in for the first time... I realized how talented these guys really are. With a couple songs expanding the 13 minute mark and others around 5 and 10... It has to be one of the most technical albums I've ever heard. With the effects that remind you of Pink Floyd, and singer that could remind you of the lead singer of Dream Theatre, and a guitarist that reflects, Jimi Hendrix, and the rest of the band as a cool little Spanish Band with many instruments, it just blows me away. I really enjoyed listening to this CD as it has so many different songs that can appeal to anyone at anytime. They sing some in English and some in Spanish on top of that. The first song "Cygnus.... Vismund Cygnus" is actually like a storyline opera type of thing. Kinda like what Green Day did with Jesus of Suburbia. Starting with mellow sounds and then blasting into funky beats with a hell of a guitar player that can play a solo at anytime. It sounds like a big jam! When that song comes to an end. The mellow ballad "The Widow" is what you call the "main" single off the album. I've heard it on the radio a few times and I actually didn't care for it much. The singer belts out his lines like a Metal singer and it's amazing to hear. It's fairly simple, but can easily get into your head with just a few listens. We then come to my personal favorite.. "L'Via L'Viaquez". This song just got my ear when I heard it dallas. With a Spanish, tango, feel... The song easily brings in many aspects of singing with it flipping back and fourth between Spanish and English... The song starts kinda upbeat and then all of a sudden slows down into a mellow ballad feeling, not too long before kicking up again. The cool thing is it kicks in cool special effects and strange guitar solos and bits. I love the song and it's great live. Then we get into "Miranda, That Ghost Just Isn't Holy Anymore". Another long song with yet again, special effects. It reminds me of an opera because all of these instruments just blast the song. From close to beginning to the end is a load of drums and funky guitar that make the song awesome. As you can tell... I'm really enjoying all the aspects of the CD. Finally, the last song... "Cassandra Geminni". This song gets off to a great start with fast guitar and drums. This is one you'd like to hear at a concert. Again this another long song with drawn out melodies and riff raff style guitar that can bring anyone to their feat. I love this song and every song off this CD.

For anyone looking to expand their musical taste, please... Listen to The Mars Volta because they are an amazing band with an amazing talent. You won't just hear it from me... Javier will back me up with this. I rate the album a 10/10... Absolutely worth the money... All 10 dollars of it. Please, enjoy it... It's great.

Ryan
Tampa Bay Lightning - 2004 Stanley Cup Champions
Philadelphia Soul - 2008 AFL Champions
Oklahoma City Thunder - ????????

Old 08-13-2005, 04:13 PM
Blaze of Posting

Absolutely.
I'm kinda envious at you at getting to see them live, But it's cool you get to enjoy real music now.
And everyone, just give these guys a chance, It's not everyones cup of tea but the musicianship these guys bring to the table is outstanding.
Old 08-14-2005, 10:57 AM
Tokyo Road

As I've been saying for a long time now, for sheer breathtaking musical genius it is probably the best album of this year so far. A rock symphony in five suites, and a fantastic piece of music

Sometimes you can just lay down
You can play the game
You can take the cards that they deal ya
And you can just pretend it's all over
BUT NOT ME!!!