Jovitalk - Bon Jovi Fan Community
Home Register Members FAQ Mark Forums Read

A few facts about Jon (itw)

General BJ Discussion

Old 10-16-2016, 01:54 PM
Posting Always

Default A few facts about Jon (itw)

Quote:
I get bored of singing my greatest hits. Do I really need to sing “Livin’ on a Prayer” one more time? Yes. Forever and ever, yes – and the thought of that depresses me. I have to reconcile that.
Quote:
The minute I’m not performing at the level I’ve become accustomed to, I’m out. You’re never going to see me on the “where are they now?” tour. I’ll never miss playing smaller venues, and it’s nothing to do with ego – I just enjoy looking out at a sea of people.
Quote:
I’ve always been content with a bottle of wine and going to bed. Drugs have never been a huge lure for me. I’ve seen a lot of people fall down the drugs rabbit hole over the years.
Quote:
There’s not a chance on earth that I’d put on a pair of ripped jeans now. I spent the early years aspiring to make money so I didn’t have holes in them any more.
More HERE.

Old 10-16-2016, 07:07 PM
The Voice of Reason
Destination any Forum

Quote:
I get bored of singing my greatest hits. Do I really need to sing “Livin’ on a Prayer” one more time? Yes. Forever and ever, yes – and the thought of that depresses me. I have to reconcile that.
I am not surprised by this as I'd feel the same way. What I wish he / they would do is stop and do some live re-working of these hits to give them a boost. When was the last time Prayer had any changes to the live arrangement? The Jersey Syndicate Tour? Blood On Blood has been kept somewhat fresh by swapping up the live arrangement over the years. Remember how excited we all were to hear the full electric version return at Shepherd's Bush in 2002? Born To Be My Baby had some re-working over the last decade to make the final bridge after the solo more dramatic. Touches like that can make all the difference. IML is badly in need of something like that. It's been performed dryly with no deviation from the studio arrangement since day one.
Old 10-16-2016, 07:25 PM
Super Moderator
It's my post

Jon, if you want to sell out the desert twice, you gotta play your greatest hits.

There's nothing stopping you doing smaller shows like this week, there's a fanbase that would kill for the non hits and it keeps you fresh too.
* Shepherds Bush 1998 (Richie) * Wembley Stadium 2000 * Milton Keynes 2001 * Wembley Arena 2002 * Hyde Park 2003 * Ricoh Arena 2006 * St Marys 2006 * Milton Keynes 2006 * O2 Arena 2007 * St Marys 2008 * Manchester 2008 * Ricoh Arena 2008 * Ashton Gate 2008 * Twickenham x2 2008 * O2 Arena x8 2010 * Hard Rock Calling 2011 * Shepherds Bush 2012 (Richie) *Etihad Manchester 2013 * Villa Park 2013 * Hyde Park 2013 *O2 Islington 2014 (Richie) *London Palladium 2016 * O2 Arena 2016 (RSO)

*Twitter * * YouTube*
Old 10-16-2016, 07:39 PM
These Days

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleeding Purist View Post
I am not surprised by this as I'd feel the same way. What I wish he / they would do is stop and do some live re-working of these hits to give them a boost. When was the last time Prayer had any changes to the live arrangement? The Jersey Syndicate Tour? Blood On Blood has been kept somewhat fresh by swapping up the live arrangement over the years. Remember how excited we all were to hear the full electric version return at Shepherd's Bush in 2002? Born To Be My Baby had some re-working over the last decade to make the final bridge after the solo more dramatic. Touches like that can make all the difference. IML is badly in need of something like that. It's been performed dryly with no deviation from the studio arrangement since day one.
He tried to do that with ballads (IBTFY, Blaze, Always, BOR) on the HAND tour. And the reaction was so dreading to him that he still brought it up during the 2011 Q&A in Dublin.

If you're talking minor instrumental re-arrangements they still do it from time to time - KTF in 2013 was updated, so was Wanted (Bobby's parts). Lost Highway for a while had an instrumental interlude in 2010-2011. I guess they could do it to other songs as well, but my guess is Jon feels like those biggest hits (Prayer and IML) should not be messed with, which is kind of true, because we are not the audience they are playing those songs to.
Old 10-16-2016, 07:47 PM
The Voice of Reason
Destination any Forum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walleris View Post
He tried to do that with ballads (IBTFY, Blaze, Always, BOR) on the HAND tour. And the reaction was so dreading to him that he still brought it up during the 2011 Q&A in Dublin.

If you're talking minor instrumental re-arrangements they still do it from time to time - KTF in 2013 was updated, so was Wanted (Bobby's parts). Lost Highway for a while had an instrumental interlude in 2010-2011. I guess they could do it to other songs as well, but my guess is Jon feels like those biggest hits (Prayer and IML) should not be messed with, which is kind of true, because we are not the audience they are playing those songs to.
Nah, I'm not talking TLFR arrangements at all.

Born To Be My Baby is up there with any of them, so Prayer and IML do not get a pass. Little touches here and there (the Lost Highway bit was great! I forgot about that one.) These changes have no impact on the casual audience as they are still getting what they expect and more.
Old 10-16-2016, 09:34 PM
Next 100 Posts

Most fans who go to his concerts would be content with hearing the 80s hits only. I remember doing "You Want To Make A Memory" for karaoke and most people there gave blank stares and some people were surprised to learn it was a Bon Jovi song.
Old 10-16-2016, 10:11 PM
The Voice of Reason
Destination any Forum

Quote:
Originally Posted by BD135 View Post
Most fans who go to his concerts would be content with hearing the 80s hits only. I remember doing "You Want To Make A Memory" for karaoke and most people there gave blank stares and some people were surprised to learn it was a Bon Jovi song.
....Which is so unfortunate. When I meet people and tell them I'm a Bon Jovi fan, I feel the need to explain that is all about songs and albums they've no clue about....that they don't know Bon Jovi if their knowledge is limited to the overplayed radio hits. It's like saying you know Springsteen because you know Born In The USA (and probably mangle what that song is about to fit some patriotic nonsense. )
Old 10-16-2016, 11:03 PM
These Days

Well, It's My Life and Livin' on a Prayer are both done with backing tracks as it's impossible for the band to pull out those huge backing vocals unless they hire a choir of some sort. Especially with the way Jon's voice are today, it's not really the right time to drop those backing vocals.
I guess they could spice up the outro in LOAP when the backing vocals are done, but all in all we will never see an arrangement change in those songs as long as they're going for the backing tracks. Have a Nice Day is another one of those songs with a backing track, so there's no coincidence that one hasn't had a single arrangement change live in 11 years.