Jovitalk - Bon Jovi Fan Community
Home Register Members FAQ Mark Forums Read

Open All Night Revisited

General BJ Discussion

Old 04-05-2007, 02:10 AM
Price of posting

I must be in the minority in this thread but i really don't like it and never have. I think the lyrics are ultra cheesy.
Albany, NY 12/12/05. JBJ to me from the stage: "You been a good girl this year?" (Reads my sign) "Jon, It's almost Xmas I've been a very good girl! Play Blood on Blood please!" (cue me on the big screen) JBJ: "How good have you been? Oh My God!" (laughs, more teasing) JBJ: "You want it huh, you want it huh? Blood on Blood just for you, the good girl in the front row? The all request hour, the girl in the front row has just asked for Blood on Blood, ok, Merry Christmas young lady!" Amazing <3

Old 04-05-2007, 02:13 AM
Jovi Addict

I love Open All Night from Bounce. prior to this thread I thought I was in the minority on that one. Open All Night and These Arms Are Open All Night, from the box set are great as well.
Old 04-05-2007, 02:48 AM
This Post Feels Right

Send a message via AIM to Captain_jovi Send a message via MSN to Captain_jovi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleeding Purist View Post
The title alone irks as well as the song just being plain boring even if you want to play something "feel good." Postcards From the Wasteland does a better job of being in that vein without being irritating. Taking All About Loving You and You Had Me From Hello off and replacing it with Postcards and Open All Night as the representative ballads of the album allows for both to compliment the album rather than drag it down. Among the rockers though, Hook Me Up and maybe The Distance (it could stand to be produced differently) are about the only ones that are standing the test of time for me. Right Side of Wrong also still holds up though not much in the way of personal empathy...but it was a decent attempt at something different.
I used to be such a huge huge huge fan of the distance. Now it's hard to listen to. Somewhere underneath the chunky downtuned guitars is a great song. You're right, it needs to be freshened up. It's not as timeless as it should be.
Old 04-05-2007, 04:36 AM
Jovi Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iceman View Post
I have a different take on the song. I've always seen it as a man who's been in a relationship with someone, but thing's ended up not too beautifully. And he meets this girl in a bar, they hit it off and the guy is dead afraid of getting into another relationship, because he fears he's going to get hurt again.
I do concur
Old 04-05-2007, 01:50 PM
Keep the Faith

Me, i dont like the Bounce version of the song, but i am absolutely in love with the box set version. I think its one of the top 3 boxset songs
Old 04-05-2007, 05:16 PM
Jovi Freak

The Bounce song is okay. It's got a horrible production / sound and Jon sounds very weak at times, but the melody and lyrics are alright. I always thought it was about a guy being afraid of falling in love with a girl he just met. Definitely better than You Had Me From Hello or All About Loving You.
Old 02-08-2009, 12:20 PM
Jovi Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain_jovi View Post
I used to be such a huge huge huge fan of the distance. Now it's hard to listen to. Somewhere underneath the chunky downtuned guitars is a great song. You're right, it needs to be freshened up. It's not as timeless as it should be.
do you still think the distance blows?
Old 02-08-2009, 01:08 PM
The One And Only Real Backstage Killer
I'll Post When I'm Dead

Send a message via MSN to Supersonic

Aloha !

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbjrsdc View Post
do you still think the distance blows?
Who knows. I think it blows though, but then again, there's more things on this board that blow lately, and it's not me.

Salaam Aleikum,
Sebastiaan
Old 02-08-2009, 02:53 PM
I Don't Want To Post Forever

Send a message via MSN to liljovi93

I do prefer the boxset version. The bounce version is ok.. sometimes i like it, other times i just don't want to listen to it. Lyrics are good though.

Bon Jovi - Old Trafford - June 26th 2003
Bon Jovi - City Of Manchester Stadium - June 4th 2006
Bon Jovi - City Of Manchester Stadium - June 22nd 2008
Bon Jovi - Old Trafford Cricket Ground - June 24th 2011
Bon Jovi - City Of Manchester Stadium - June 8th 2013
Bon Jovi - Slane Castle - June 15th 2013
Bon Jovi - Hyde Park - July 5th 2013
Bon Jovi - London Palladium - October 10th 2016
Excuse me, has anyone got a bottle of orange juice?!

Not afraid of Burning Bridges, cause I know they're gonna light my way...
Old 02-08-2009, 04:14 PM
These Days

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iceman View Post

This rarely happens to me, but I agree that people should listen more and judge less.
Exactly my words.

The first time i listened to "Bounce" I ended up skipping songs due to disappointment. I only listened to the first 10 seconds of "Open All Night" and then had enough and pushed the stop button. Then there was much negative talk about the song being their worst ballad, and as "Bounce" was called their worst album ever, it said a lot about people's opinions about the song. Half a year later, when I started to like "Bounce" and embrace it (a little less then the previous albums though), I liked the mood of OAN and the guitar sound that reminded me of an empty train station hall at night, or some guy playing the blues on a street corner at night. What kept me from really appreciating the song was Jon's cringy vocals near the end, but with time the melody and the lyrics crawled into me. And then, suddenly, I liked it.

Still I thought "Postcards From The Wasteland" would have been the better song to close the album, but given that OAN was on that position, I had to deal with it, and found a song, that was really touching in its own way, and sounding more honest too. Plus I've made a similar experience as Bleeding Purist, so I could connect to some degree.

The boxset version never touched me. I only listened to it a few times, it didn't connect. Yet. You'll never know what happens with time. Revisiting songs after years can give you really a totally new perspective. And again, I gree with Ice and (try to) listen more and judge less. It's always the same, I like songs that others don't (like "She's A Mystery"), and once you admit it, you get slagged off, or you are "gay" because you like "Cpt. Crash". I don't take that too seriously though. Still I find it very interesting that suddenly some people here "confess" that they like OAN. Miracles happen!

I might go back to Youtube now and listen to the live performance.

Tags
open all night (2002)