Jovitalk - Bon Jovi Fan Community
Home Register Members FAQ Mark Forums Read

The official Stereophonics topic

Other Bands

Old 02-01-2010, 11:42 PM
Jovi Fan

2 days before my first show! I have absolutely no idea what to expect. I just hope it won't be "just" a new album support gig because I really want to hear songs from Pull The Pin

I'm ready

Old 02-02-2010, 01:17 AM
The One And Only Real Backstage Killer
I'll Post When I'm Dead

Send a message via MSN to Supersonic

Aloha !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady_Luck View Post
2 days before my first show! I have absolutely no idea what to expect. I just hope it won't be "just" a new album support gig because I really want to hear songs from Pull The Pin

I'm ready
They've been skipping most of Pull The Pin, the only song that's been played so far was Bank Holiday Monday. They do mix up the set a bit though, overall they play good sets, and if you haven't read any setlist before you'll get at least 4 surprises I think.

Salaam Aleikum,
Sebastiaan
Old 02-02-2010, 03:01 PM
Price of posting

I liked the first album - then the rest until Dakota bored me.
Pull the pin was half good half average and I havent bothered with the new one.

Seen them live twice - once supporting Aerosmith and once on their own tour.
Like Jovi they are much better live than on record
Wembley Arena 90, Wembley Arena 93, MK Bowl 93, Wembley Stadium 95, MK Bowl 96, Wembley Stadium 00, MK Bowl 01, Hyde Park 03, MK Bowl 06, o2 07, Twickenham 08, o2 10 (x2), Hyde Park 13, London Palladium 16, Wembley 19
Follow me: @iam_emmo
Old 02-04-2010, 10:03 PM
Jovi Fan

Back from my first show. I really enjoyed every minute of it!

They started with Live'n'Love from Keep Calm And Carry On (bought a cool tshirt with the title on it ) and they ended the encore with Dakota.

They played a great version of Superman and Maybe Tomorrow. From the last album, I Got Your Number really rocked.

You were right Seb, nothing from Pull The Pin but a lot of songs from the 3 first albums. I will get them this weekend!

I was really impressed by Kelly Jones' voice, there's no difference between his voice on the albums and live. Guitars sounded really great too.

I hope they will come back this summer for some festivals. In the meantime, does someone has a live DVD to recommend? I saw they released several of them.

To sum up great show, definitely great band live but just a little bit disappointed by the setlist, nothing from Pull The Pin. By the way, is there a reason for that?
Old 02-05-2010, 02:05 PM
It's my post

Send a message via AIM to Rob Send a message via MSN to Rob Send a message via Yahoo to Rob

I preferred Stereophonics when they were a rock band. The first album is awesome and the second one is pretty good as well. I've started to listen to some of their later stuff recently and it's decent pop rock. Obviously Dakota was a really catchy single but another song I'm really digging is Stone off Pull The Pin. I was gonna go and see them in Manchester in March but the show is sold out so unless I can get cheap tickets on eBay I won't be going.

Old 02-05-2010, 02:19 PM
I'll Post When I'm Dead

Aloha !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady_Luck View Post
Back from my first show. I really enjoyed every minute of it!

They started with Live'n'Love from Keep Calm And Carry On (bought a cool tshirt with the title on it ) and they ended the encore with Dakota.

They played a great version of Superman and Maybe Tomorrow. From the last album, I Got Your Number really rocked.

You were right Seb, nothing from Pull The Pin but a lot of songs from the 3 first albums. I will get them this weekend!

I was really impressed by Kelly Jones' voice, there's no difference between his voice on the albums and live. Guitars sounded really great too.

I hope they will come back this summer for some festivals. In the meantime, does someone has a live DVD to recommend? I saw they released several of them.

To sum up great show, definitely great band live but just a little bit disappointed by the setlist, nothing from Pull The Pin. By the way, is there a reason for that?
Good to hear you had a great time. I reckon they don't play a lot of stuff from Pull The Pin because not many fans like it as much as the earlier albums and because it got a lot of negative reviews. Personally, I like it a lot and don't think it deserved all that slack because it rocked a lot more than their previous 3 efforts but it's the album cuts that make the album really great.

Salaam Aleikum,
Sebastiaan
Old 02-06-2010, 02:28 PM
Jovi Fan

I'm happy I never read the critics about Pull The Pin! Sometimes it's great to discover a band without knowing how the critics rate it!

Some videos of the concert I went to. I think there's I Got Your Number, Maybe Tomorrow and Dakota.

From some comments here, I think that I should get the album "Performance And Cocktails", maybe I'll find it this afternoon!

I hope the band will play some festivals this summer, that would be awesome!

Last edited by Lady_Luck; 02-06-2010 at 02:31 PM..
Old 02-07-2010, 04:19 PM
I'll Post When I'm Dead

Aloha !

I've seen the band yesterday in Amsterdam, it was my first show. Very good crowd apart from some British wankers, band had a great time and the setlist was good as well. Great setlist, proper flow and all that. They will play festivals but aren't allowed yet to say which ones. They did say they will play Pinkpop, Glastonbury and I reckon they'll be on the bill for Rock Am Ring as well. I rather have another show in Amsterdam though, fingers crossed they'll return by the end of this year or the start of next year. I had a great time.

Salaam Aleikum,
Sebastiaan
Old 02-07-2010, 08:03 PM
Jovi Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supersonic View Post

I've seen the band yesterday in Amsterdam, it was my first show. Very good crowd apart from some British wankers, band had a great time and the setlist was good as well. Great setlist, proper flow and all that. They will play festivals but aren't allowed yet to say which ones. They did say they will play Pinkpop, Glastonbury and I reckon they'll be on the bill for Rock Am Ring as well. I rather have another show in Amsterdam though, fingers crossed they'll return by the end of this year or the start of next year. I had a great time.
I'm glad to read that you enjoyed the show. About the festivals, in addition to Pinkpop I also read rumours about Werchter in Belgium and Arras in France. I already planned to go to Arras to see Pearl Jam, so I hope Stereophonics will be there too.
Old 02-09-2010, 12:14 AM
Undiscovered Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supersonic View Post
Aloha !

I'm not sure if there really are a lot of Stereophonics fans here, but anyway, I'm going to tell you a little bit about them, you will download a few songs of them and we'll see where it goes.

I got interested in this band roughly at the same time I became interested in Oasis. However, unlike Oasis, their latest album wasn't really that exciting and there wasn't a lot exposure on them here in Holland. Have A Nice Day was their current single at that time and was what did it for me. A song written about a taxidriver that drove songwriter Kelly Jones thru New York. The lyrics are pretty self explanatory and yet tell a story. I thought the lyrics were clever, and the poppy chorus made the song complete.

Now, 7 years further I got interested in the Stereophonics again, and this time I bought all the albums in roughly 2 months, something I'd never done before. Up intil then I only had one album of them (JEEP) but I soon found out that it wasn't what they were like at all.

Their music sounds a bit indie with some punk influences, mixed with a pop sausage. It all blends rather well and over the years they've become a very good live band. Some of their lyrics are funny (My beer don't taste the same without my name painted on my glass) but Jones has written serious tunes as well. What actually striked me just the past few months since I really gave them a good listen is how Jon always says how he wants to write about things that are happening now (9/11, the presidential election, the economical crisis) but never ever succeeds, while the simple lyrics of the Stereophonics do exactly that. Some examples of this;

It Means Nothing;

You can find yourself a God
Believe in which one you want
Coz they love you all the same
They just go by different names
Did ya fly your flag today?

written about the bombings in London.

Daisy Lane;

Now there's red spray paint slashed on the wall
R.I.P. Baby, we love you from all
Just that one moment, ended their days
Outside my house on Daisy Lane...

Written about how a young boy was stabbed to death in the street Kelly Jones lives.

Local Boy In The Photograph

He'll always be 23, yet the train runs on and on
Past the place they found his clothing

There's no mistake, I smell that smell
It's that time of year again, I can taste the air
The clocks go back, railway track
Something blocks the line again
And the train runs late for the first time
Today

And all the friends lay down the flowers
Sit on the banks and drink for hours
Talk of the way they saw him last
Local boy in the photograph
Today

Written about a boy who committed suicide by jumping in front of the train, and people suddenly recognizing him as the local boy in the photograph.

Mr. Writer

I used to treat you right
Give you my time
But when I'd turn my back on you
Then you do what you do

Written about a journalist who had toured with the band and had later gave them negative reviews, a thing Jon without a doubt can talk about as well.

It's lyrics like these that I think touch people, and I don't think it'd hurt if Jon would go back to writing songs like these, because songs like August 7 and Midnight In Chelsea have proved that he's capable of doing so.

The new Stereophonics album is being released on the same day as the one of Bon Jovi, and the band are huge in the UK, I think only Oasis are a bigger band in the UK, but I'm not sure. I think it's rather weird that they never broke thru outside of the UK, because they seriously do have some good songs that are very underrated.

Anyone else a fan of this band? Personal favourites? Favourite albums?

My favourites; Dakota, Local Boy In The Photograph, It Means Nothing, The Bartender And The Thief, Mr. Writer and Drowning.
My favourite albums: Pull The Pin and Performance And Cocktails.

Salaam Aleikum,
Sebastiaan
Agreed!!!

Great in-depth post seb.

Tags
stereophonics