Jovitalk - Bon Jovi Fan Community
Home Register Members FAQ Mark Forums Read

Who says you can't go home duet with Keith Urban

General BJ Discussion

Old 03-10-2006, 07:27 PM
Keep the Faith

Default Who says you can't go home duet with Keith Urban

I was just wondering if any of you had heard the version of Who Says You Can't Go Home featuring Keith Urban and what you thought of it? I like it although it's really hard trying to distinguish Keith because Jon has a slightly stronger voice.

Old 03-10-2006, 08:49 PM
Dry County

Send a message via MSN to tweety_b

I think that their voices are somehow similar and this makes the duet sound weird. I like the song and I like both Jon and Keith but, usually, what I love in a duet is the contrast between the two voices. In this case there is no contrast at all
Old 03-10-2006, 09:09 PM
These Days

I like much more version with Jennifer! Shes voice is much different than Jons and she shines on thatz song...
Old 03-10-2006, 09:11 PM
Keep the Faith

Quote:
Originally Posted by tweety_b
I think that their voices are somehow similar and this makes the duet sound weird. I like the song and I like both Jon and Keith but, usually, what I love in a duet is the contrast between the two voices. In this case there is no contrast at all
Yeah you're right - even Jon himself said that his and Keith's voices are just too similar.
Old 03-11-2006, 12:29 AM
Retired Super Moderator
Crush

It boggles my mind that so many Bon Jovi fans and so many Keith fans are thinking they sound "just alike." I'm an ardent fan of both. But, I'm pretty sure that if I were a fan one and not the other, I could still tell their voices apart. Granted, I WAS surprised at how Keith was singing in Jon's style to fit the song. It made me realize they're voices were somewhat similar (which probably explains why I fell in love with Keith's music in the first place LOL). I think part of the reason it seems difficult is that it's not a fully produced/mixed song, so it's not as crystal clear as the other songs.

But, for the record, "Our voices are too similar" is the nice way of saying, "The labels and management companies couldn't work it out." Jennifer = same label = a lot less red tape.
Old 03-11-2006, 12:49 AM
Destination any Forum

Send a message via AIM to jenn1189 Send a message via MSN to jenn1189

I've heard both versions and I prefer the version with Jennifer. I love Keith Urban, but, I just didn't find the song as interesting. I can tell the difference between their voices, but they do have a remarkable similarity on that song.
Old 03-11-2006, 11:05 AM
Keep the Faith

Quote:
Originally Posted by Becky
It boggles my mind that so many Bon Jovi fans and so many Keith fans are thinking they sound "just alike." I'm an ardent fan of both. But, I'm pretty sure that if I were a fan one and not the other, I could still tell their voices apart. Granted, I WAS surprised at how Keith was singing in Jon's style to fit the song. It made me realize they're voices were somewhat similar (which probably explains why I fell in love with Keith's music in the first place LOL). I think part of the reason it seems difficult is that it's not a fully produced/mixed song, so it's not as crystal clear as the other songs.

But, for the record, "Our voices are too similar" is the nice way of saying, "The labels and management companies couldn't work it out." Jennifer = same label = a lot less red tape.
As individual singers, I agree, they do not sound anything like each other, however on that song I really struggled to hear Keith. And because Jon is singing lead vocals anyway you would expect him to have the dominant voice. Maybe if Jon and Keith had taken it in turns each to sing a verse then it would have made it a whole lot easier to instantly recognise Keith. Wouldn't it be great to see them performing that song live?
Old 03-11-2006, 06:33 PM
It's my post

Send a message via AIM to Rob Send a message via MSN to Rob Send a message via Yahoo to Rob

Yeah it would be cool to see them performing together live.

I think the duet with Keith sounds so much like the album version it's not true. As everyone has said they sound similar, but I also think that it seems to have the exact same muscial arrangement and you can hardly pick the Banjo out.

Old 03-12-2006, 08:19 AM
Jovi Fan

Send a message via AIM to Irakli

did I miss out on something? Where did you guys hear this version?
Old 03-12-2006, 09:57 AM
Undiscovered Posts

I was going to ask the same question. I've been looking and I can't find it anywhere.

Tags
have a nice day (2004), keith urban