More on songwriting with Gordie Sampson

New Bon Jovi Releases

Old 12-20-2006, 04:21 PM
Blame it on the love of posting

Default More on songwriting with Gordie Sampson

Bon Jovi mention is in yellow...

Sampson writes for new CD, Bon Jovi
By KAREN BLISS -- For JAM! Music

Nova Scotia native Gordie Sampson, who has been nominated for a pair of 2007 Grammy Awards for his No. 1 Billboard country single "Jesus, Take The Wheel" recorded by Carrie Underwood, is taking January off "from the Nashville songwriting engine" to work on his third solo album.

"It's very similar to 'Sunburn,'" Sampson says, referring to his 2004 solo album, which scanned just under 6000 units, according to Nielsen SoundScan Canada.

"'Sunburn' was a huge departure from my first record (1998's 'Stones'), which is very folky. This is much more like 'Sunburn.' It's going to be a continuation of that album. Any kind of change I can tell now is that it will be a little bit more electronic based with beats and keyboards.

"Because I'm in Nashville and the sound is so straight up and the style of writing that you do is within a box, there's always a tendency when I make my own records (that) I always push my music to completely the other side, which is fun."

Since releasing "Sunburn," on MapleMusic/Universal Music Canada, the Cape Breton native has become a highly successful songwriter. He not only co-wrote the Underwood hit (with American songwriters Hillary Lindsey and Brett James), but other co-writes, with outside songwriters or with the artists themselves, have been recorded by LeAnn Rimes, Faith Hill, Martina McBride, Trace Adkins and Keith Urban. That kind of track record might help him land a U.S. record contract.

"I've never had a deal in the States," says Sampson, 35. "We've been approached by a couple of labels, mostly small independent majors, sort of the same speed as Maple. For someone who does what I do and with where I'm at these days, people are holding on to their records now, it makes more sense for me to own it."

Sampson, who has a recording studio in the guest house of his Nashville home, says that he has written many songs for the new album. "I feel like I have maybe three-quarters of it done, but in a couple of months that could change. All I have to know is that I have to have it out by the summer."

The singer-songwriter spends his summer back in Canada, so presumably he will tour then. He has a home just outside of Sydney in Cape Breton. He has written for and with many Canadian artists, including Shaye, Great Big Sea, Ashley MacIsaac, George Canyon, Jimmy Rankin, and produced albums by Damhnait Doyle ("Davnet"), Natalie MacMaster ("In My Hands") and the Cottars ("Forerunner").

Sampson recently renewed his publishing deal for another three years with Nashville-based Combustion Music.

"A great song is only a great song when it's in the right hands," says Sampson.

"We knew when we wrote 'Jesus, Take the Wheel' that it was a good song. It had the potential to do really well, but I'm sure it wouldn't have done as well if it was (placed) with any other singer in the entire world.

"It was really lucky for us that it got in her hands. It could have easily been picked up by some new artist and she might have come out and sold 500 records and completely flopped and that song never would have got heard. (But) it went though a system of people where publishers and people that worked for the label that had really good ears said, 'Oh I like this. This would be good for Carrie,' and it made the next chain of command and the next, and finally got to the musical talent."

A couple of months ago, Sampson wrote with Bon Jovi of all bands. The session with frontman Jon Bon Jovi and guitarist Richie Sambora yielded a country song called "On Another Day," for possible inclusion on the New Jersey band's next album.

"I thought I was getting together to write a Bon Jovi song and, in my mind, I had a preconceived notion of what that type of song might be -- classic rock or '80s/early '90s rock theme. That's the sound I was playing when I first got out of high school and started playing guitar, so it's a sound I'm really familiar with but I hadn't written it in a very long time. But they're making a country record.

"I don't know if they knew that themselves (at that time). I think that kind of developed. They got new management in Nashville and Jon Bon Jovi had done a duet ('Who Says You Can't Go Home') with this girl Jennifer Nettles. They had a hit with that song and the band just fell in love with the city and they fell in love with the way people write songs here.

"He's a really interesting guy," says Sampson of Jon. "That's one of the great things about the last couple of years and this great stroke of luck that we've had and being able to write with some of these people, who are household names, enigmas in their own right, it never ceases to amaze me how different people are than what you'd expect them to be. They're losers and winners like we all are," he says as if penning a hook for a song.

As for the upcoming Grammy Awards, Feb. 11, at the Staples Center in Los Angeles, for which "Jesus, Take The Wheel" is nominated for best country song and song of the year, Sampson is excited to be attending.

In Canada, he won the SOCAN songwriter of the year award at the Canadian Country Music Awards for that song, and in the U.S. it won ASCAP song of the year and the Nashville Songwriters Association (NSA) international songwriter achievement award.

"They're all fantastic," says Sampson. "The CCMA was very exciting. The one that stands out is probably the NSAI. That was really fun to win because it's voted on by songwriters, your peers. We were up for CMA (Country Music Association) and ACM (Academy of Country Music) awards as well, so we're kind of used to winning and we're used to losing at this point, so when it comes to the Grammy's, we won't be surprised if we lose (laughs).

"(But I) get to go and see what's in the Grammy bag. I hadn't really heard about it until after I got nominated."

http://jam.canoe.ca/Music/Lowdown/20...877239-ca.html
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Happy%20Holidays.JPG (13.9 KB, 187 views)

Last edited by Becky; 12-20-2006 at 11:24 PM.. Reason: Changed highlight color

Old 12-20-2006, 04:45 PM
Jovi Geek

Thanks Diane for posting the article. He's a little off base with saying Bon Jovi has new management. Vector Management (which came on board with the HAND record) is in "addition to" not replacing BJM.

Also, I don't think Gordie realizes that Jon and Richie had written in Nashville before.

deb
Old 12-20-2006, 07:01 PM
Posting Always

This article makes me nervous about just how 'Country' this album is going to be!
Old 12-20-2006, 11:25 PM
Retired Super Moderator
Crush

Since red can be very harsh against the black for some people, I changed the highlighting color to yellow.

Thanks for posting!
Old 12-21-2006, 01:19 AM
Just posting

Im getting more pessimist about this new album every time I read something about it....

(and yeah there WAS some optimism)
Old 12-22-2006, 06:09 PM
Livin' on a Post

Cool

http://www.myspace.com/gordiesampson1

well..not my cup of tea ,to be polite

are we really talking about this guy ,who is writing a song
for a rock band ??? is it sure ? please say not..please
Old 12-22-2006, 06:14 PM
Just posting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bendpulloffhammer View Post
http://www.myspace.com/gordiesampson1

well..not my cup of tea ,to be polite

are we really talking about this guy ,who is writing a song
for a rock band ??? is it sure ? please say not..please
LMFAO, yes that is exactly what I ment....
Old 12-22-2006, 06:36 PM
Livin' on a Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheseDays2005 View Post
LMFAO, yes that is exactly what I ment....
I am not again..cool country songs or folk songs
for example I like some songs of Tracy Chapman..
or Neil young ,playing acoustic in the famous 'last trip to Tulsa'

but this is another world ,and Bon Jovi ,of course ,for me don't belong
to that world.. they are :Rock ,hard FM..etc

I cannot imagine ,they are going in this direction...folk/country/
and may be..cheesy country songs
In french : it's called 'soupe'
not genuine..something easy listenning ,calibrated for the radio
in fact..soupe

that's is my point of view ,listenning to Gordie songs on the site my space
Old 12-22-2006, 09:25 PM
Retired Super Moderator
Crush

Are you talking lyrically or musically? Bon Jovi is still the performing band who make the sound. The writing doesn't always dictate how it will sound.

Nine Inch Nails: Hurt
Johnny Cash: Hurt

Janis Joplin: Piece of My Heart
Faith Hill: Piece of My Heart

Bon Jovi: Runaway
Bon Jovi: Runaway 2000

You really have to hear something before you can judge it. The same song can be very different in two artists hands or, as Bon Jovi has shown us, in different interpretations by the writer.
Old 12-22-2006, 10:10 PM
Jovi Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoviForever View Post
This article makes me nervous about just how 'Country' this album is going to be!
me too, me too