New Bon Jovi Releases

Old 04-15-2007, 10:16 AM
Livin' on a Post

Send a message via AIM to Jovisis
Default Bon Jovi courts Nashville again with new album

Bon Jovi courts Nashville again with new album
Sun Apr 15, 2007 1:54 AM EDT

By Deborah Evans Price
NASHVILLE (Billboard) - For the last few months, there's been a buzz around Music Row that Bon Jovi's next album would be a country record.

Some folks were skeptical and others ready to celebrate. After all, Bon Jovi made history last year when "Who Says You Can't Go Home" with Sugarland's Jennifer Nettles soared to No. 1 on Billboard's Hot Country Songs chart, making them the first non-country act to hit that summit in decades. They won a Grammy for the tune in February, the group's first.

Will history repeat itself? The new single, "Make a Memory," which previews the band's June 19 Island/Mercury Nashville release "Lost Highway," debuted at No. 39 on Hot Country Songs earlier this month and is currently No. 35.

Yet Jon Bon Jovi is quick to clarify that "Lost Highway" is not a country album but a "Bon Jovi record influenced by Nashville."

Six of the tracks were produced by John Shanks, and six -- including "Make a Memory" -- by Nashville's Dann Huff, known for his work with Rascal Flatts and Keith Urban. Bon Jovi also tapped further into the Nashville creative community, co-writing with Hillary Lindsey, Gordie Sampson and Brett James, and recording duets with Big & Rich and LeAnn Rimes.

The result is a collection of songs that strike a perfect balance -- rock enough to appeal to longtime Bon Jovi fans, yet with a Nashville flavor that should satisfy country fans who loved "Who Says You Can't Go Home."

"The line is so blurred between new country and (adult top 40), it wasn't a difficult leap," Bon Jovi says. "We had to just make sure we weren't patronizing the true country format. Could you have imagined me walking into an award show where 15 or 25 other artists are and saying, 'Howdy, y'all,' with straw in my teeth and a cowboy hat on? I would have expected them to run me out of Dodge."

Bon Jovi has been visiting Nashville regularly, and says the city's creative community inspires him. "If you would have asked me at the end of the tour last August to do a record in September, I would have said, 'Not for all the tea in China. I don't have anything to say,"' he says. "I didn't like what I heard on the top 40. I had nothing in common with any of that stuff. But when I listened to Keith Urban, Gary Allan and Big & Rich, I heard the same kind of stories I'd been writing for 25 years. I thought, 'I get it: Write a record, go back to your storytelling days and say something about yourself."'

As a result, much of "Lost Highway" reflects some of the turmoil band members were facing. "I was watching my friend going through a very painful divorce and his father had stage four cancer," Bon Jovi says of guitarist/songwriting partner Richie Sambora. "We were dealing with a lot. Dave (Bryan), my keyboard player, was going through a terrible divorce at the same time. So it was all around me. That's how I got the idea for "Whole Lot of Leavin'."

"Until We're Not Strangers" is a sultry duet with Rimes. "I wanted somebody with a strong voice who could pull it off dramatically because I knew it was a dramatic lyric," Bon Jovi says. "I didn't want a young girl that couldn't provide the sexuality in the lyric. She has a seasoned voice. She may be a young woman, but she's been around for a long time and she knows how to translate a lyric."

Among the more upbeat fare on the record is the title track, which was featured in the John Travolta motorcycle comedy "Wild Hogs." "We Got It Going On" is a duet with Big & Rich that is serving as the theme song for the Arena Football League season on ESPN, while the catchy "I Love This Town" celebrates the frontman's enthusiasm for Nashville.

The new album's visibility will be boosted by key TV appearances: April 16 in Nashville at the CMT Awards, May 1 on "American Idol" and June 19 on "Today." Bon Jovi says there are also plans for the band to tape an "MTV Unplugged" that will air simultaneously on CMT, MTV and VH1.

Though there aren't any plans for a major tour, Bon Jovi says the band will play select dates, among them the Frontier Days festival in Cheyenne, Wyo., and the new O2 arena in London.

Already, Bon Jovi served as keynote speaker for this year's Country Radio Seminar in Nashville and the band played a special show to give country programmers a taste of the new music. "We're very respectful of it," Bon Jovi says of the country format. "All I can ask for is, 'Give us a chance and don't judge the book by its cover."'

Reuters/Billboard

Old 04-15-2007, 10:25 AM
Undiscovered Posts

nice one, thanks !
Old 04-15-2007, 10:58 AM
Next 100 Posts

nice - so we now have 6 confirmed songs from the album - hopefully they are not cutting "any other day" and "summertime":

Make a Memory
Lost Highway
We got it going on
I love this town
Whole Lot of Leavin
Until We're Not Strangers
Old 04-15-2007, 11:32 AM
Jovi Addict

Send a message via MSN to groover22

Thanks for the post, nice to get some new info. Can't wait for the album and looking forward to the MTV Unplugged also.

Didn't know about Richie's dad though, very sad news.
Old 04-15-2007, 11:33 AM
Just posting

it isn't good when we've got it going on, list highway & I love this town are named as the more upbeat rock songs....
Old 04-15-2007, 11:40 AM
Breakout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jovisis View Post
Bon Jovi says there are also plans for the band to tape an "MTV Unplugged" that will air simultaneously on CMT, MTV and VH1.
Nice

I believe I said it twice to you
I confess I can't remember what's true
Out of sight, out of mind that won't happen to me n' you
Same old situation
Sad but true
Old 04-15-2007, 12:06 PM
These Days

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheseDays2005 View Post
it isn't good when we've got it going on, list highway & I love this town are named as the more upbeat rock songs....
I was just thinking the same thing. Three of the most forgettable songs the band has produced and how exactly are the las two rock songs?

The title "Whole lot of leavin'" doesn't exactly fill me with confidence either.

Great news about the Unplugged show!
Even innocence has caught the midnight train
And there ain't nobody left but us these days
Old 04-15-2007, 12:15 PM
Jovi Freak

This article is making me pretty excited to hear the new album!
Old 04-15-2007, 12:43 PM
Nil Satis Nisi Optimum
Posting Dead Or Alive

Bon Jovi says there are also plans for the band to tape an "MTV Unplugged" that will air simultaneously on CMT, MTV and VH1.

OH YEAH!!! Bring that on!!
2010: NJ x3, London x4. 2011: Munich, Manchester, London, Dublin x2, Lisbon. 2012: RS London.
2013: Manchester, Birmingham, Dublin, London. 2014: RS Belfast. 2016: London. 2019: Dublin x2, Liverpool, London

Old 04-15-2007, 02:31 PM
Blaze of Posting

Cool news about the unplugged show. Though one more awfull song title with whole lota leavin.