Jovitalk - Bon Jovi Fan Community
Home Register Members FAQ

Hurricane Butterfly (unreleased song)

General BJ Discussion

Old 10-03-2018, 04:48 PM
Posting everyday

Another problem probably is the amount of cover songs. They've always edited (at least some of) them out of official releases.

1992: An Evening With had "Baby What You Want Me To Do" in there on the MTV broadcast, they scrapped it for the VHS release.

1995: Jumpin' Jack Flash, I Don't Like Mondays and Rockin' All Over The World weren't used.

2000: Both the Bad Medicine and I'll Sleep When I'm Dead performances got castrated by deleting Rockin' All Over The World and Shout.

2008: Glad All Over and Start Me Up remained unused for the MSG DVD.

I don't know how huge the amount of royalty fees is that they have to pay for releasing cover material, but as the Hammersmith set was about half cover/half original, he'd have to spend even more money on it.

Old 10-03-2018, 04:52 PM
Jovi Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nige View Post
just look at the Jovi store. The THINFS LP and CD are literally the last thing listed, and none of the other albums are even on there (this is the US site).
The order in the store is always changing, they put things on the top (just like right now they posted Backstage memberships/new items/clearance), this is what they got in music section: https://www.bonjoviofficialmerch.com/collections/media
Old 10-03-2018, 04:53 PM
Posting Always

Send a message via MSN to Nige

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonjovi90 View Post
Another problem probably is the amount of cover songs. They've always edited (at least some of) them out of official releases.

1992: An Evening With had "Baby What You Want Me To Do" in there on the MTV broadcast, they scrapped it for the VHS release.

1995: Jumpin' Jack Flash, I Don't Like Mondays and Rockin' All Over The World weren't used.

2000: Both the Bad Medicine and I'll Sleep When I'm Dead performances got castrated by deleting Rockin' All Over The World and Shout.

2008: Glad All Over and Start Me Up remained unused for the MSG DVD.

I don't know how huge the amount of royalty fees is that they have to pay for releasing cover material, but as the Hammersmith set was about half cover/half original, he'd have to spend even more money on it.
Royalities are based on units sold so it's not money he would have to pay out in advance, but less that would be coming in. Still less money in the Jovi pockets though.

It's possible the original artists declined for their songs to be allowed to be included - it might not have been a financial decision.
Old 10-03-2018, 04:55 PM
Posting Always

Send a message via MSN to Nige

Quote:
Originally Posted by YOVANAfromPeru View Post
The order in the store is always changing, they put things on the top (just like right now they posted Backstage memberships/new items/clearance), this is what they got in music section: https://www.bonjoviofficialmerch.com/collections/media
Thanks for that - it's not quite as bad as I thought, although the accessories section is still much bigger.
Old 10-05-2018, 11:30 AM
Something for the Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nige View Post
Royalities are based on units sold so it's not money he would have to pay out in advance, but less that would be coming in. Still less money in the Jovi pockets though.

It's possible the original artists declined for their songs to be allowed to be included - it might not have been a financial decision.
Also, if you want to cover a song on video you have to pay a Sync Licence fee even before royalties. Some bands, like The Beatles, that fee is ridiculously high. This fee doesn't apply to audio only - only when it's being synced to video. The same licence is needed if being used in a movie or tv show etc

Last edited by Thinny; 10-05-2018 at 11:38 AM..
Old 10-06-2018, 05:47 AM
Jovi Freak

Admin just posted this on Backstage O_O!

ASK YOUR QUESTIONS!
We’re selecting 2-3 questions each month to be answered by the band! Selected questions will be answered by one member of the band (JBJ, David, Tico, Hugh, Phil X, Everett, or John Shanks). While you may submit more than one question, please refrain from submitting the same question twice.

I replied lol:
Hi Jon Bon Jovi,
it's YOVANA from Peru

What are your favorite songs from the Box Set?
Any plan to release in ANY WAY unreleased tracks, rarities, etc. that the world haven't heard???

Gracias,
-_-
Old 10-06-2018, 06:39 AM
This Post Feels Right

Send a message via AIM to Captain_jovi Send a message via MSN to Captain_jovi

Everett and John Shanks being included in that context as a band member really bums me out.
Old 10-06-2018, 04:39 PM
These Days

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain_jovi View Post
Everett and John Shanks being included in that context as a band member really bums me out.
Consider the source, perhaps? JBJ is listed; and that's the only thing that matters, right?

As long as Bon Jovi's "official" fan club is called BSWJBJ, it's gonna be hard for me to take anything that comes from them seriously. That's not anything against Jon, btw; but if he wants to try and convince people that Bon Jovi is a "real band" again (and not just his personal franchise), the name of the band's official fan club might be a good place to start.

As for the announcement itself, maybe it was written by someone who considers that to be the "new and improved" Bon Jovi lineup and wanted to press home the point. I can't see a need, otherwise, to spell it out. You would think that, surely, members of the fan club know what is meant by "one member of the band".

(That, or they suspect that it's gonna be Shanks or Everett who will be answering the questions and they want to head off any disappointment when it's not one of the other guys.)
Old 10-06-2018, 06:02 PM
Jovi Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackieBlue View Post
Consider the source, perhaps? JBJ is listed; and that's the only thing that matters, right?

As long as Bon Jovi's "official" fan club is called BSWJBJ, it's gonna be hard for me to take anything that comes from them seriously. That's not anything against Jon, btw; but if he wants to try and convince people that Bon Jovi is a "real band" again (and not just his personal franchise), the name of the band's official fan club might be a good place to start.

As for the announcement itself, maybe it was written by someone who considers that to be the "new and improved" Bon Jovi lineup and wanted to press home the point. I can't see a need, otherwise, to spell it out. You would think that, surely, members of the fan club know what is meant by "one member of the band".

(That, or they suspect that it's gonna be Shanks or Everett who will be answering the questions and they want to head off any disappointment when it's not one of the other guys.)
You're right obviously, but wasn't the fanclub set up by Jon's mother? I guess she set it up specifically for him and it just grew. Either way, there's no reason why the name could not have changed at some point.

And (I am thinking as I am writing), it's also his band so it is what it is. Bon Jovi has always been JBJ and co., even back in the 80s when we like to think they were a band of brothers. Jon has always pushed it was a band, but it is almost always been "Bon Jovi is a band... but".
Old 10-06-2018, 07:40 PM
Something for the Posts

I believe that when the fan club was originally set up in the 80's it was called "Backstage with Bon Jovi" and around the time of Blaze it became "Backstage with Jon Bon Jovi". Around the same time Richie set up the "Strictly Sambora" fan club...