Jovitalk - Bon Jovi Fan Community
Home Register Members FAQ

The Heart and Dagger...

General BJ Discussion

Old 03-18-2013, 02:25 PM
Blaze of Posting

Default The Heart and Dagger...

Right. So - the heart and dagger has become the foremost Bon Jovi logo. It's everywhere now, from the stage, to the album covers, singles, videoclips, drums kits, everywhere.

Jon just refers to it as 'the logo'- but how come it has become so prominent since the Lost Highway tour?

The initial logo was a t-shirt/ backstage pass design on the New Jersey tour. But it was one of many. I think it came out when Living In Sin was a single. But there were other logos that the band used a lot more (like the little Al Capone with the handgun and the cigar one). Not that I have followed it much but I think the band completely forgot about it until the HAND era when they re-did it on some official merchandise but instead of the heart, there was a smirk. Ever since, it's been omnipresent. Not that I mind it so much, but I find it weird how we all simply accept it as the 'all-time-always-been-there- Bon Jovi logo. People even get it tattooed on their bodies. When in fact, we've all been brain-washed and it has only been around for the last couple of years or so.

Not that it's a bad logo....just got me wondering. And sorry if this was discussed already.

Old 03-18-2013, 03:25 PM
Jovi Freak

They probably felt it was safe to use it again now that Ed Hardy's not as prominent anymore.
Old 03-18-2013, 05:03 PM
Lay your Posts on Me

I commented on this a while back on another thread... I think its rise to prominence can be traced to the whole 're-branding' of the band when Matt really got stuck into things.

As rude as that guy is - and boy, the man's a festering turd of obnoxiousness - he has helped drag the b(r)and into the new millennium.

But the previous comment I eluded to above echoed your sentiments... we do have it thrust upon us at every opportunity as if it were the 'tongue and lips' representing The Stones...

It's like creating your own nickname and being the only one who uses it.
Old 03-18-2013, 06:42 PM
These Days

Actually, it bothers me. I've never gived a **** about the Heart & Dagger logo and never recognized it as "the logo". Also, it was weird to start seeing it everywhere out of nothing! It was like BOOM hearts and daggers everywhere.

In argentina we have a word for what I think about that logo: "grasa".

(+ Santiago 09/24/2013 | Buenos Aires 09/26/2013 | Buenos Aires 09/16/2017)
These Days!

Old 03-18-2013, 07:07 PM
Blaze of Posting

Quote:
Originally Posted by ezearis View Post
In argentina we have a word for what I think about that logo: "grasa".
That means 'Fatty' (female!) in Romanian :P

Anyhow - I agree with both you and Beaky. Not that it bothers me, but it's a bit like…'right, we made 20 years of various music, but now it's all about the heart and the dagger in its beautiful forms' . And that nickname anecdote reminds me of a high school friend who used to introduce himself as: "Hi. My name is Marius but my friends call me Rammstein!" and we'd all go: "Shuut up! No one calls you Rammstein! We call you Marius!" Haha…good ol' days.

No seriously, that logo has been super-imposed on the fans and no one seems to have even said anything about it. It's strange, to say the least. At least they could have made us vote. I would have voted for the little Al Capone fella' Maybe the music would have been better too. With Al Capone as your logo, you need to be a little more dangerous at least
Old 03-19-2013, 01:38 AM
Price of posting

I hate "the logo".
Old 03-19-2013, 06:47 AM
Blaze of Posting

I don't have strong feelings either way towards the logo. I don't love it or hate it. I do wish the smirk had caught on though. I love that thing, both graphically and for the bit of attitude it represents, hence why I have it tattooed.
Old 03-19-2013, 08:01 AM
Keep the Faith

I love the smirk logo. But nothing against the heart & daggers.
3/22/11 - Salt Lake City, UT - EnergySolutions Arena
4/16/13 - Denver, CO - Pepsi Center
10/23/13 - Chicago, IL - United Center
2/23/17 - Dallas, TX - American Airlines Arena
3/14/18 - Denver, CO - Pepsi Center
4/1/22 - Omaha, NE - CHI Health Center
Old 03-19-2013, 10:33 PM
Next 100 Posts

I'm not that bothered about any logo but it doesn't make sense to introduce it now, 30 years into their careers, when other bands have a logo that's well established in their first few albums.

The Bon Jovi font from 1985-1999 was probably THE lego, then they abandoned that for different fonts for each released afterwards. To introduce logo seems a bit daft.

Journey had birds wings from 1978-1980, and since then have had a scarab for most of their releases since.
Old 03-19-2013, 11:06 PM
These Days

I really like the heart & dagger logo, it's the coolest thing they could come up with since they abandoned their original font with "Crush". It's just that it really seems to come out of nowhere - sure, it has appeared before, for example in 1993 - I have a Coca Cola can (is that the word?) from then with the Bon Jovi font and the heart & dagger logo (surrounded by roses). Man that thing looked cool and I always thought they could've done so much more with it.

It's a bit strange how it's everywhere now, especially it seems to fit better with their pre-2000 music (when they did actually sing about broken hearts). It made a great Greatest Hits cover though (together with the font).

I really like it. At least they have a logo. I hated it when they stopped using their signature font.