Jovitalk - Bon Jovi Fan Community
Home Register Members FAQ

Cheap Trick

Other Bands

Old 10-16-2006, 06:02 AM
Something for the Posts

Default Cheap Trick

Is anyone a fan of Cheap Trick?

I got on of their best-of's a few months back and now I'm tempted to start getting into their catalogue.

I'm a fan of their hits Dream Police, I want you to want me, If you want my love and The flame. Their covers are good, Aint that a shame and Don't be cruel. But my favourtie song of theirs is Surrender, it just has a nice kick to it and salutes KISS as well.

Can anyone recommend any of their albums?

For we who grew up tall and proud
In the shadow of the mushroom cloud
Convinced our voices can't be heard
We just wanna scream it louder and louder louder
What the hell we fighting for?
Just surrender and it won't hurt at all
You just got time to say your prayers
While your waiting for the hammer to hammer to fall

Old 10-16-2006, 03:20 PM
Retired Super Moderator
Crush

Get Live at the Budokan. For a pretty "old" live recording it stands the test of time well. Rick Neilsen has got to be one of the best guitarists ever. He's one of those people who deserves a lot more attention than he's ever gotten. Budokan is a MUCH better live CD than One Wild Night turned out to be.

Lap of Luxury is my favorite of their CDs. It has The Flame which is one of my favorite songs ever (but they didn't write it. )
Old 10-17-2006, 05:03 AM
Jovi Geek

Send a message via AIM to RyanBounce04 Send a message via MSN to RyanBounce04 Send a message via Yahoo to RyanBounce04

Quote:
Originally Posted by Becky
Get Live at the Budokan. For a pretty "old" live recording it stands the test of time well. Rick Neilsen has got to be one of the best guitarists ever. He's one of those people who deserves a lot more attention than he's ever gotten. Budokan is a MUCH better live CD than One Wild Night turned out to be.

Lap of Luxury is my favorite of their CDs. It has The Flame which is one of my favorite songs ever (but they didn't write it. )
My mom has the original vinyl album of Live at the Budokan. I actually sat and listened to it. Kinda cool. I'm a fan of Surrender and their version of the Theme from That 70's Show.

Ryan
Tampa Bay Lightning - 2004 Stanley Cup Champions
Philadelphia Soul - 2008 AFL Champions
Oklahoma City Thunder - ????????
Old 10-17-2006, 02:12 PM
Posting Always

Send a message via MSN to Dave 1986

I only ever really knew the That 70's Show theme untill I saw them live in June when they opened up for Def Leppard and they were really good!

If I die tomorrow, have I said all I can say?

Follow me on Twitter

PSN ID: Dave_Hedgehog86

Bon Jovi Concerts:
28th June 2003, Hyde Park, London
9th June 2006, St. Mary's Stadium, Southampton.
Old 10-17-2006, 02:48 PM
Troublemaker
The Distance

yeh surrender is their best

mummys alright daddys alright...............
Old 10-17-2006, 04:41 PM
Dry County

Jeezus - where to start? Trick are absolutely, hugely, criminally underrated. World class songwriting and pretty much unbettered talent on every instrument.

Their most accessible, modern Classic Rock can be found on the '97 album Cheap Trick. Probably the best for Jovi fans - a real punch, real clean melody lines and just enough darkness to make things interesting. Amazon used & new will probably have this for $1.99. Eight Miles Low, Anytime and Yeah Yeah are all huuuuge songs!

All of their first three records are untouchable

Their darkest, most ****ed up "did he really say that?", off the wall, inventive menace of a record is the '77 album Cheap Trick. Pretty much perfect from start to finish, but may take a couple of listens for you to adjust your morals to.

In Colour is pure pop - shimmering choruses, endless hooks and 10 classic songs, most obviously IWYTWM. If you are more of a rock fan though, may not be the one to check out first - really clean, crisp production.

Heaven Tonight - Possibly my favourite - It's your makebelieve high school prom, a little rebellion and a broken heart. Great Mix of the styles of the previous two records, and obviously, Surrender.

Plenty of other LPs are worth checking out (trust me - you will get addicted!)

But before you get these run out and buy both albums by Jellyfish!!!!!

Lap of Luxury is a little too synth heavy and drenched in 80s for my taste, but it still does feature the Flame and All We Need is a Dream (awesome song!!!). Dream Police is probably only just below the standards of the first three albums - the band comfortable and starting to experiment a little, but not quite the classic songwriting you came to expect by then (title track, Voices & Need Your Love excluded!). Both the two most recent LPs are decent, with probably stronger songwriting on Rockford, if a little less variety than the band at their best.

Live Albums - Budokan for the classic sound, Budokan 2 I like just as well, though - more of the humour on display and a louder production with a little more kick. Silver is probably one to save for later - a bit too heavy on the ballads.

Obviously that leaves a few left from the bands wilderness years, where they just seemed a little flimsier. Every record has at least a couple of stand-out tunes, but I'd leave these till last.

ALSO - Trick have been one of the friendlier bands to tapers. Theres a lot of good bootleg stuff out there, including a good few soundboards. Sign up to DimeaDozen and you will find two or three shows well worth the download. If you are unable, PM me and I'll burn some off for you (you may have to be a little bit patient, but it shouldn't take too long!)

Infact - anyone with some good Trick stuff want to trade?
Old 10-19-2006, 05:13 AM
Something for the Posts

Definately food for thought there, thanks BeExcellent.

I also got a bit of a kick out of She's Tight, "She's nice, she's tight."

I also believe that Tom Petersson was very underated as a bass player. If wiki hasn't lied to me, it says he built the 12-string bass.

I love the 5 neck Hamer guitar that he plays in she's tight and a few other performances I've seen on youtube.

For we who grew up tall and proud
In the shadow of the mushroom cloud
Convinced our voices can't be heard
We just wanna scream it louder and louder louder
What the hell we fighting for?
Just surrender and it won't hurt at all
You just got time to say your prayers
While your waiting for the hammer to hammer to fall
Old 10-19-2006, 01:10 PM
Troublemaker
The Distance

12 - string - bass???

:s
Old 10-19-2006, 11:11 PM
Dry County

Quote:
Originally Posted by gazthomas
12 - string - bass???

:s
http://images.google.co.uk/imgres?im...lr%3D%26sa%3DG
Old 10-19-2006, 11:58 PM
Price of posting

Six words: I Want You to Want Me ~ live. One of my all time favorite songs!!
Albany, NY 12/12/05. JBJ to me from the stage: "You been a good girl this year?" (Reads my sign) "Jon, It's almost Xmas I've been a very good girl! Play Blood on Blood please!" (cue me on the big screen) JBJ: "How good have you been? Oh My God!" (laughs, more teasing) JBJ: "You want it huh, you want it huh? Blood on Blood just for you, the good girl in the front row? The all request hour, the girl in the front row has just asked for Blood on Blood, ok, Merry Christmas young lady!" Amazing <3