Jovitalk - Bon Jovi Fan Community
Home Register Members FAQ

Top 10 Bon Jovi songs

General BJ Discussion

Old 04-22-2014, 08:54 PM
Suddenly

Default Top 10 Bon Jovi songs

I've seen the topic where people pick the best produced album, but I didn't see a thread where people picked their favourite song. When I decided to make one, I immediately thought "hey, why not ask people to make a top 10?" You're also allowed to explain why you chose the songs you picked, but just listing a top 10 without further explanation is also fine.

Here's my list:
1. Bed Of Roses
2. It's My Life
3. Livin' On A Prayer
4. Dry County
5. Thank You For Loving Me
6. Runaway
7. I'm With You
8. Bounce
9. If I Was Your Mother
10. My Guitar Lies Bleeding In My Arms

Explanations:

1. When purely thinking about the chorus, it reflects on my girlfriend and me. I love the heck out of her ("bed of roses"), while I despise myself (personal issues, I won't share all that now, "bed of nails"). I never cheated and wouldn't even consider it. After all, that's what the first verse is about, if you take it literally (I also heard other interpretations that make sense). Anyways, if I wouldn't be afraid of my parents and sister hearing me, I'd just want to "cry-sing" the chorus every time I hear this song or think about it. The way I take this song and the way it feels personal to me might not exactly be what Jon Bon Jovi intended, but I don't care, I have my way of feeling a connection to this song and that's all I need here.

2. Choosing one of the more well-known songs might seem impersonal, but this is a song that totally applies to me as well: I can't stand up for myself and am shy, people walk all over me. This song explains how I feel about that.

3. No deep personal connection here, but this is the first Bon Jovi song I ever heard, and the song that got me into Bon Jovi.

4. It feels like the band's underrated "masterpiece", and I just really like long songs that start out calm and get guitar solos later on, just like Led Zeppelin's "Stairway To Heaven" and Queen's "Bohemian Rhapsody".

5. This song explains how I feel about my girlfriend, she could get so many better guys than me, but she loves me so much, and I'm so grateful for all the happiness she brought, brings and will bring me.

6. The first Bon Jovi song, this is pure history.

7. I've heard many people complain about the "What About Now" album. I agree that it's definitely not the best Bon Jovi album, but I also don't think it's the worst (my least favourite, but still good, is "Lost Highway"). Anyways, I think this is the best song on "What About Now", and I have a soft spot for it.

8. The message I got from this song is going through a lot of things, but still standing up and not giving in. This describes my life: I've been through horrible bullying, I can't get along with my dad, I've thought about suicide quite a few times, but I'm still standing.

9. I can't really explain it well, but the emotions here are brought so powerfully, it just feels overwhelming in a positive way.

10. One of the most underrated Bon Jovi songs, that's all I have to say here.

Old 04-23-2014, 07:48 PM
Born to be my Baby

My top changes almost every 2-3 weeks but anywas here it is:

1. Keep the faith - I usually listen to a live version from 1993 Stockholm which is in SBD quality.KTF has been my favorite song since a few weeks,i simply love the energy of the song,the guitar,vocals,bass

2. Edge of a Broken Heart - I discovered this song a month ago and I really love it,i think it could've easily replace some tracks on SWW.

3. I'll Sleep When I'm Dead - I rarely listen to the studio version,usually i listen to different live versions from 93-95.This song gives me so much energy and simply makes me feel so good and happy and i really like to sing along ).

4. Bad Medicine - Most of the time i get up from my chair to jump and dance around during this song.Sometimes I listen to live versions from the 90's which include Shout as a medley.

5. Bitter Wine - This is one of my favorite songs.I love the whole atmosphere of the song,Jons voice is so nice and pleasent and the acoustic guitar and piano are just perfect.My favorite part is when he says ''Love left me stranded at the station and the last train's gone by" i really love his voice during that verse, i really don't know why.

6. Wanted Dead or Alive - I think this doesn't need an explanation.

7. These Days - This is clearly one of their most underrated songs.I find the lyrics very profound sometimes,especially when I'm sad or in a bad mood.

8. Dry County - Epic guitar solo and drum solo,epic vocals and epic lyrics.Enough said

9. Lay Your Hands on Me - Great hard rock/heavy metal song.I usually listen to a version from 1993 Milton Keynes which is in high quality audio.I prefer that version cause they play it in a higher key or something like that...they play it faster.

10. Backdoor To Heaven - This is a demo from their NJ album which is in...let's say ''decent'' quality on youtube;there is a guy who fixed the song and it's played in the original key and the vocals and instruments are alot clearer.Anyways,I loved this song since I first heard it,that guitar intro got me from the second I heard it and Jons vocals are so rough and great,lyrically I think it's about a guy who realises how much he loves his lover that he just lost and is trying really hard to get back with her.

* Special mention - My Guitar Lies Bleeding in My Arms - This is definitely their most pesimistic and dark song.I really enjoy listening to it even when I'm very happy cause it kinda takes me away and makes me thing about the negative things in the world.Oh yeah, I always try to sing that last chorus and end up screaming like a retard and probably making my neighbours ears bleed ).
Old 04-25-2014, 05:05 PM
Suddenly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucas_Roli View Post
My top changes almost every 2-3 weeks but anywas here it is:

1. Keep the faith - I usually listen to a live version from 1993 Stockholm which is in SBD quality.KTF has been my favorite song since a few weeks,i simply love the energy of the song,the guitar,vocals,bass

2. Edge of a Broken Heart - I discovered this song a month ago and I really love it,i think it could've easily replace some tracks on SWW.

3. I'll Sleep When I'm Dead - I rarely listen to the studio version,usually i listen to different live versions from 93-95.This song gives me so much energy and simply makes me feel so good and happy and i really like to sing along ).

4. Bad Medicine - Most of the time i get up from my chair to jump and dance around during this song.Sometimes I listen to live versions from the 90's which include Shout as a medley.

5. Bitter Wine - This is one of my favorite songs.I love the whole atmosphere of the song,Jons voice is so nice and pleasent and the acoustic guitar and piano are just perfect.My favorite part is when he says ''Love left me stranded at the station and the last train's gone by" i really love his voice during that verse, i really don't know why.

6. Wanted Dead or Alive - I think this doesn't need an explanation.

7. These Days - This is clearly one of their most underrated songs.I find the lyrics very profound sometimes,especially when I'm sad or in a bad mood.

8. Dry County - Epic guitar solo and drum solo,epic vocals and epic lyrics.Enough said

9. Lay Your Hands on Me - Great hard rock/heavy metal song.I usually listen to a version from 1993 Milton Keynes which is in high quality audio.I prefer that version cause they play it in a higher key or something like that...they play it faster.

10. Backdoor To Heaven - This is a demo from their NJ album which is in...let's say ''decent'' quality on youtube;there is a guy who fixed the song and it's played in the original key and the vocals and instruments are alot clearer.Anyways,I loved this song since I first heard it,that guitar intro got me from the second I heard it and Jons vocals are so rough and great,lyrically I think it's about a guy who realises how much he loves his lover that he just lost and is trying really hard to get back with her.

* Special mention - My Guitar Lies Bleeding in My Arms - This is definitely their most pesimistic and dark song.I really enjoy listening to it even when I'm very happy cause it kinda takes me away and makes me thing about the negative things in the world.Oh yeah, I always try to sing that last chorus and end up screaming like a retard and probably making my neighbours ears bleed ).
Hi, thanks for filling this in, I wasn't expecting any answers anymore. Anyways, I like reading the explanations. Anyways, because you mention mostly listening to live versions: do you also like switching between different live versions? For example, when it comes to "It's My Life", I switch between the studio version, an acoustic live version, a live version with Bruce Springsteen and some regular live versions.

I see that we disagree on the songs in our top 10, but I can definitely see where you're coming from. What do you think of my top 10, and my explanations?
Old 04-25-2014, 10:27 PM
Born to be my Baby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milotic View Post
Hi, thanks for filling this in, I wasn't expecting any answers anymore. Anyways, I like reading the explanations. Anyways, because you mention mostly listening to live versions: do you also like switching between different live versions? For example, when it comes to "It's My Life", I switch between the studio version, an acoustic live version, a live version with Bruce Springsteen and some regular live versions.

I see that we disagree on the songs in our top 10, but I can definitely see where you're coming from. What do you think of my top 10, and my explanations?
Hi! Yes,I switch live versions and sometimes listen to studio version.For example I listen to Bad Medicine from 92 An evening with BJ,Wembley 1995,Bremen 1995;

IBTFY-live from Milton Keynes 93,live from 89 Lakeland,the one from Tokyo 90-91(this has the best guitar solo IMO),

Bed of Roses - Acoustic versions,studio version,94 from Japan,Stockholm 93
Hehe,yesterday when I was waiting at the hospital for a consultation Bed of Roses came on the radio,I was so happy that I wanted to start singing and ask people if they know the song and sing along with me.

This Ain't a Love song- Bremen 1995,Wembley 95,studio version and there is a acoustic version on youtube.
Wanted Dead or Alive - 89 Moscow,93 Stockholm,87 Cincinati,studio version and alot of different acoustic versions

KTF- Stockholm 93,studio version,2001 Giants,93 Milton Keynes,Wembley 95,and London 97 from London.

I'd Die for You - I listen to alot of different versions from 89-95.I love it when he screams at the end.

Runaway - I enjoy listening to the ones from 84-87 when he hits those high notes at the end.

Silent Night - I just love the version from Cincinaty 1987,actually I rarely
listen to the studio version.I love the extra lyrics at the end and the way Richie sings ''Silent Night'' while Jon is singing those extra lyrics.

If I Was Your Mother - I listen to the album version and sometimes go to that Quebec performance from 93 where he screams like a mother****er at the end!

Prayer - Studio version and alot of acoustic versions from the 80s and 90s.I love the acoustic performances where he sings ''Gina works all day,working for her man she brings home her pay for loooove,for his love'',what I mean is when he holds that ''love'' note for longer(checkout Stockholm 1992 acoustic,1992 Spain acoustic,89 Australia)

Wild in The Streets - I listen to 1993 Tampa,95 Wembley,93 Milton Keynes and sometimes I watch the ones from the NJ,KTF,TD tour which have bad quality just to see how much fun they had performing it.Jon always used to run around the stage during this song...

Love for Sale - This is one I really enjoy live.I always sing along and my favorite performances is the one from 92 An Evening with BJ and alot of different version from 1989-2010.Sometimes I listen to the demo version where Jon and Richie talk random stuff for like 2 minutes or so ).I bet they were drunk or high.

Blood on Blood - I haven't listened to the studio version of this song for around 6 months I think.I always pick various different live performances and I love especially those in which Richie takes the lead vocals for a minute.

I like your top 10.We don't disagree,I like all of the songs from your top it's just that as I said before,my top changes every 2 weeks or so.For example today I listend to songs from The Power Station Years and I listened to It's Hard Letting You Go around 7 times ).
I see where you're coming from with Bounce and It's My Life.I listened to those songs alot, along with HAND and Saturday Night when i was having a hard time with family,relationships,friends and just everyday life problems.I also kinda understand what you feel when listening to BOR,I also listen to BOR and Always and sometimes still remember the first girl i fell in love with. I rarely see her,but when I do I feel kind of sad and always start thinking about ''what if...'' posibilities. But my favorite lyric is from Bitter Wine ''Love left me stranded at the station and the last trains gone by'' cause the closest I got with this girl ,was a one night stand and it didn't work out after that...This happened 2 years ago when I was 16 and I still think about it. I find it kinda funny how I act like nothing really happened but deep inside it still feels really bad.
I'm really glad that you have a good girlfriend and got over bullying. Hope you'll get along someday with your dad,maybe on a saturday night . And remember,never give up you're an army of one!
Old 04-25-2014, 10:54 PM
Posting Always

Thats a question that is simply impossible for me to answer. For example I find Prayer, Its My Life, Bad Name, Faith etc all utterly boring now. I never listen to them at all. Dont get me wrong - they're there on my iPhone but I would never put them on to play.

For me raraties, live versions and b-sides interest me nowadays. The only album for me that had longevity is Keep The Faith - bar the title track. It has virtually an entire album that is timeless. It doesn't have a 1992 sound and could be easily 10 years later.

In my opinion no-one can give their top 10 as a favourite song can change with one's mood.

If im pissed off my favourite song could be If I Was Your Mother, if I was feeling upbeat on a Friday after work my favourite could be Sleep When I'm Dead, if I'm feeling low on confidence then I Believe would be my choice.
Old 04-26-2014, 01:01 AM
The Distance

I'm am so beyond this question...

I've been a fan for so long now, I can't even answer it. There are so many factors in a Bon Jovi song that I hear that the average radio listener doesn't.

Last edited by Rdkopper; 04-26-2014 at 05:37 AM..
Old 04-26-2014, 04:04 PM
Blaze of Posting

Wanted dead or alive
Wanted dead or alive
Wanted dead or alive
Wanted dead or alive
Wanted dead or alive
Wanted dead or alive
Wanted dead or alive
Wanted dead or alive
Wanted dead or alive
Old 05-06-2014, 02:07 AM
Suddenly

Hi everyone, sorry for the late replies, I didn't have much time in the past weeks, but I can reply now.

@ Lucas Roli:

Nice, did you actually sing along out loud with "Bed Of Roses"?

I'm glad you like my top 10, I also like yours. And I can understand where you're coming from. And I don't know if I really got over bullying, the consequences are still there, I'm still an oversensitive person who rarely trusts others and who lacks confidence. But I never committed suicide and never changed, I always stayed myself.

Anyways, do you have a nice relationship at this moment? You've had your fair share of bad experiences, I hope you'll find someone good sooner or later...

@ nickolaj:

I understand that it's hard, it was also hard for me. I just made this topic to see what songs other Bon Jovi songs liked most. I also could've asked "pick your favourite song", but that would've been less fun: picking just one song is even harder, and I like hearing explanations for more than one song, it's interesting to see if some people have personal experiences that help them connect to some songs like I have.

Anyways, my favourite song never changes, but I do have to say that sometimes, I really feel like listening to some songs, and some other time, to other ones, but I'll always enjoy my biggest favourites no matter what.

@Rdkopper:

Completely understandable, it's hard... But aren't there a few songs that matter more to you than others, songs you'll always, or even almost always, feel like regardless of your mood? Songs that stand out most to you?

@DevilsSon:

Posting the same song several times is not the point of the thread, but still, nice post and a clear opinion.
Old 05-06-2014, 02:34 AM
These Days

If I have to do a list of the songs I like the most, I think that I'd be something like this.

1. These Days
2. This Ain't A Love Song
3. Always
4. Born To Be My Baby
5. I'd Die For You
6. It's My Life
7. In These Arms
8. (You Want To) Make A Memory
9. (It's Hard) Letting You Go
10. Something To Believe In

No special order. But it changes from day to day to me, so many songs I like a lot, I just did the list and I already want to change some of them.

According to last.fm, my most played Bon Jovi songs since September, 2010 are:

1. Always — 794 plays
2. (You Want To) Make A Memory — 713 plays
3. This Ain't A Love Song — 675 plays
4. (It's Hard) Letting You Go — 585 plays
5. I'll Be There For You — 566 plays
6. Because We Can — 552 plays (I don't know how this happenned)
7. Lie To Me — 529 plays
8. Thick As Thieves — 481 plays
9. It's My Life — 470 plays
10. Open All Night — 442 plays

Pretty depressing.

(+ Santiago 09/24/2013 | Buenos Aires 09/26/2013 | Buenos Aires 09/16/2017)
These Days!

Old 05-11-2014, 12:53 PM
Jovi Freak

01. Livin' on a Prayer
02. In These Arms
03. Whole Lot of Leavin'
04. I Believe
05. Always
06. Have a Nice Day
07. Superman Tonight
08. I'll Be There For You
09. Bed of Roses
10. Born to Be My Baby/You Give Love a Bad Name

Love it all, 80s, 90s and post 2000's. Got most albums covered too.

I couldn't split BTBMB and Bad Name.

Perth - January 25, 2008
Perth - December 8, 2010
Sydney - December 17, 2010
Sydney - December 19, 2010 (I Believe!!!)

East Rutherford - July 25, 2013
Melbourne - December 7, 2013
Melbourne - December 8, 2013
Perth - December 12, 2013

Sydney - December 8, 2018