Jovitalk - Bon Jovi Fan Community
Home Register Members FAQ Mark Forums Read

Bells of Freedom - Just a thought

General BJ Discussion

Old 05-26-2010, 11:06 PM
Next 100 Posts

Default Bells of Freedom - Just a thought

I know this is a random topic, but has anyone else realized how amazing Jon's vocals are on the studio version of Bells of Freedom? He's completely using his 80s-style vocals in this track (i.e. his 'talk-so-tough' voice). Here's a remixed clip of the song with the instruments partially toned down:

As a matter of fact, I've always wondered how and why Jon's voice could be so amazing on this album yet incredibly mediocre during the accompanying tour.

Old 05-27-2010, 02:22 AM
These Days

It's always been a favourite song of mine. His vocals are stunning on record but some of the live recordings are even more amazing, especially the way he ended the song when he sung it live.
Even innocence has caught the midnight train
And there ain't nobody left but us these days
Old 05-27-2010, 04:10 AM
Blaze of Posting

Yep, his voice started improving on the HAND tour, this tour was great even though the ballads were a bit of a downer since they were performed in their TLFR versions but the performances themselvs were great and energetic (plus the album tracks really made for an energetic show)

Oh and about the song, I love it but live it's even better. Maybe he should give it a try like he did on the LH tour....
Old 05-27-2010, 10:34 PM
Midnight on JoviTalk

I never liked it until I experienced live at my first Jovi show back in 2005, then I got home and put it on and loved it.

A good reason to never go to the bog during a song you think you don't like.
Old 05-27-2010, 10:51 PM
It's my post

Send a message via AIM to Rob Send a message via MSN to Rob Send a message via Yahoo to Rob

It's never been my favourate song, but on record it's a good vocal performance. I didn't attend the HAND tour so I don't know what it was like live. All I will say is that it's easier in the studio having multiple takes and being able to choose when you want to record it. There are also dozens of effects that you can apply such as pitch shifting, reverb, echo, etc which will always make a studio vocal recording sound better. On tour you don't have a choice. You're singing live so there's no touching it up after. Also as a singer your voice can't be perfect all the time. Jon could have had a cold, a sore throat, have just nailed Prayer, or his voice may be fatigued after playing so many shows back to back. All these factors will have an effect on what sort of performance he is able to put in.

Tags
bells of freedom, have a nice day