General BJ Discussion

Old 05-21-2007, 04:10 PM
Runaway

Default Music Review: Bon Jovi - New Jersey

Music Review: Bon Jovi - New Jersey
Janine Macdonald

Blogcritics

May 21, 2007

New Jersey is one of the albums that really catapulted Bon Jovi to fame. After the great success of Slippery When Wet it was thought they would find it hard to do anything better but they proved everyone wrong. New Jersey is much better than Slippery When Wet.

I can't begin to explain what this album does to me every time I hear it. It gives me almost a sense of pride to have been old enough to remember when this album was released, and to have enjoyed it the first time around. With traditional riffs, catchy lyrics, it is pure Bon Jovi through and through.

Although it's probably a little outdated these days, for anyone who grew up listening to "Lay Your Hands On Me", "Bad Medicine," and "Born To Be My Baby" this is a pure winner, not only in music but also penmanship.

One thing that seems to have been a theme for Bon Jovi in the 80s was the cowboy. Songs like "Ride Cowboy Ride" and "Stick To Your Guns" can be added to the collection of cowboy songs Bon Jovi like to sing, such as "Wanted Dead Or Alive". Jon Bon Jovi finally seemed to have got that out of his system when he released "Blaze Of Glory".

"Bad Medicine" and "Lay Your Hands On Me" are traditional of Bon Jovi, and showed that cock rock everyone in the 80s loved so much. The album title is a strong implication of how proud the New Jersey band are of their roots, and the imprint of this is throughout the album. As always there is the traditional love song that comes from Bon Jovi, and "I'll Be There For You" is beautifully written, beautifully sung and beautifully performed. It's probably one of the best rock ballads out there.

It follows up Slippery When Wet with songs about defiance, love surviving all, friendship, and of course the most common thread for any 80s hard rock band: sex.
The whole album goes from strength to strength with its music.

Stand out songs: Pretty much every song stands out, but the real winners are "Blood On Blood", "Lay Your Hands On Me", "Bad Medicine", "I'll Be There For You", "Born To Be My Baby" and "Living In Sin".

For Bon Jovi fans, and new fans-this is the defining album you should have in your collection. If you're not hooked by the end of it, you never will be.

I give this album 5/5

Bon Jovi-New Jersey
Year: 1988
Label: Polygram Records
Track listing:
1. Lay Your Hands On Me
2. Bad Medicine
3. Born To Be My Baby
4. Living In Sin
5. Blood On Blood
6. Homebound Train
7. Wild Is The Wind
8. Ride Cowboy Ride
9. Stick To Your Guns
10. I'll Be There For You
11. 99 In The Shade
12. Love For Sale

http://blogcritics.org/archives/2007/05/21/073858.php

Last edited by justroger; 05-21-2007 at 04:12 PM..

Old 05-21-2007, 04:14 PM
Tokyo Road

Thanks for posting, thats a horribly written review though

Sometimes you can just lay down
You can play the game
You can take the cards that they deal ya
And you can just pretend it's all over
BUT NOT ME!!!
Old 06-02-2007, 12:47 AM
Breakout

Send a message via AIM to sweet heart. Send a message via MSN to sweet heart.

I think your review was beautifully written. I being a huge fan of New Jersey agree with every single word. You've pin pointed all my favorite songs and all my thoughts on this album.

I never grew up with New Jersey but all these years later here I am, someone from another generation whom is passionate with such an album. But hey, can you blame me? Bon Jovi is amazing. They stand out from all the monotonous and repetitive rap music that plays on the radio.

My favorite song from this album is actually "I'll Be There For You". Your so right when you say it's one of the best rock ballads out there.

Thank you for this. I really enjoyed it. It'd be great if you could post one on "Slippery When Wet"!

eman [n] : Faith

Jon Bon Jovi
more than just an obsession

Old 06-02-2007, 02:12 AM
Tokyo Road

I'm not sure it's his (her?) review ... I may be wrong though

You can play the game
BUT NOT ME!!!
Old 06-02-2007, 02:21 AM
Tokyo Road

Actually, to the original poster, if you did write that review then I apologise for calling it horrible ... I though someone else had written it, and y'know ... the rules of tact seem to apply differently if you're commenting on the work of a person who'll never read your comments

You can play the game
BUT NOT ME!!!