Jovitalk - Bon Jovi Fan Community
Home Register Members FAQ

Would things be better with Sex Sells?

General BJ Discussion

Old 07-26-2008, 07:55 PM
Blaze of Posting

I don't think there's any way to really know.
1. We don't have much info on all the tracks and such.
2. We don't know What tracks would have been singles
3. We don't know how he album would've been marketed.
All I do know, is that I'm in the immensely distinct minority here of loving Crush.

Old 07-26-2008, 08:11 PM
It's my post

Would things be better? What's wrong with 'things'? Personally (I think I'm in the minority) nothing post-00 is truly awful ('cept Save The World, see below) - I enjoy some of TLFR even.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crushgen24/88 View Post
I don't think there's any way to really know.
1. We don't have much info on all the tracks and such.
2. We don't know What tracks would have been singles
3. We don't know how he album would've been marketed.
All I do know, is that I'm in the immensely distinct minority here of loving Crush.
I'm a closet liker of Crush - nothing phenomenal, but some great songs, if you're in that mood. Although Save the World is one of the worst songs they've written, in my opinion - I can't get away from the cheesiness of it

Oh, in my drop-down menu for my RSS feeds, this topic is called: "Would things be better with sex"

Work, work, work for the workin' man!
Old 07-26-2008, 09:37 PM
Wanted Dead or Alive

Send a message via AIM to SSM12

Sex Sells is a better title. But im alright with Crush

THE SEMINATOR!
Old 07-26-2008, 10:13 PM
Blaze of Posting

I don't see what people's problems are with Crush. I really like it(with the exception of It's My Life and Say It Isn't So). IMO, it has two good ballads, and OWN/Just Older are brilliant.

It's better than Have A Nice Day, too, IMO.
Old 07-26-2008, 10:20 PM
Friends will be friends
Bounce

In 2000 I was 15 and I was attracted by It's My Life and Say It Isn't So and I bought the album and loved it. I bought the others and now it's 8 years later and I'm very glad that I did, because I love the music, have seen some great concerts and thanks to this specific forum I've made some great friends - so my life would probably be quite different if not for Crush. Seems odd when I put it like that, bit it's true.

As for Sex Sells possibly being better, well as more of a fan now I can apreciate more of their music, so some of the songs which didn't make it might have worked better in some respects - perhaps a double album would have been good, but unlikely from this band. Some of the songs which ended up on the boxset were from this era I think and I really love them (some of my favourites being 'Maybe Someday', 'Kidnap An Angel' and 'Satelite')
Old 07-26-2008, 10:27 PM
Blame it on the love of posting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Becky View Post
It's My Life was the song that gave the band their first big hit in the USA since Always in 1994/1995. That song was one of the last ones written for Crush. I really think it made a huge mark on the trajectory of their career post-2000--and I don't mean just in the consistent references to living life (they've always had those)! I believe It's My Life showed that they were still viable in the marketplace and had a huge impact on their ability to tour consistently on a large scale. It reminded people of a certain age that Bon Jovi was one of those acts that they loved when they were young and won over a new audience and another generation. The timing of Crush also coincided with Jon being able to cross-promote it and U-571 (which was a top-grossing movie) so it really put his face out there in the media at the time. To me, it looks like everything came together at the right time and in the right way for them.
i totally agree with this as well - very well said!
Old 07-26-2008, 10:46 PM
Blaze of Posting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas Anderson View Post
In 2000 I was 15 and I was attracted by It's My Life and Say It Isn't So and I bought the album and loved it. I bought the others and now it's 8 years later and I'm very glad that I did, because I love the music, have seen some great concerts and thanks to this specific forum I've made some great friends - so my life would probably be quite different if not for Crush. Seems odd when I put it like that, bit it's true.

As for Sex Sells possibly being better, well as more of a fan now I can apreciate more of their music, so some of the songs which didn't make it might have worked better in some respects - perhaps a double album would have been good, but unlikely from this band. Some of the songs which ended up on the boxset were from this era I think and I really love them (some of my favourites being 'Maybe Someday', 'Kidnap An Angel' and 'Satelite')
Gotta agree about Satellite. A brilliant song that should be on Crush.
Old 07-27-2008, 01:50 AM
Retired Super Moderator
Crush

Satellite would have been a nice ballad to have on Crush--and one that didn't seem like it came out of the bottle of Big Ballad Formula #29.

I think they made a very wise decision in holding off releasing the CD by continuing to write and record forit. Their label had just been bought out by Universal so they were switched to Def Jam records. They were wary of how they would fit in that landscape and they let the dust settle from the changes. It was probably one of their smartest moves ever.
Old 07-27-2008, 02:16 AM
Blaze of Posting

Send a message via MSN to jade4jovi

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeepTheFaith2211 View Post
I don't see what people's problems are with Crush. I really like it(with the exception of It's My Life and Say It Isn't So). IMO, it has two good ballads, and OWN/Just Older are brilliant.

It's better than Have A Nice Day, too, IMO.
Hehe, that's just your opinion though. My problem with it? It just doesn't have enough songs on there that I like. I don't like it much as an album, because of that. Atlough I do like a small handful of songs on it. I just don't feel they did all they were capable of, on that album. Well actually I think it's more, they were going for a different sound. To be more modern, and appeal to different audience. And as I said before, they definitely achieved that...and good for them too. But for me personaly, it's not their best music at all. But that's just a personal thing, because I like the bigger rock sound Jovi the best, in general. Sure I love a good ballad too, but they have NOTHING on there that is say...Always level. Now THAT'S a bloody ballad!!! I mean what are you classing on there as a "great ballad"? Just out of interest, I'm not picking on you or anything. Because all this is about is personal taste.
Old 07-27-2008, 10:33 AM
Jovi FANatic

My question was really:

Would the band have taken a different direction if Sex Sells had come out in 1999. I think due to the reasons of them delaying the release it gave them more time to tinker with it and re-think the final release, that we know of as Crush.

True, without IML would Sex Sells have had a hit on it, who knows, but as a fan at that time I was not interested in hit singles I was interested in good music. Since These Days there has not been an album with enough good music on it IMO, don't get me wrong, there are some strong songs but not a consistant album.

I think the direction may have changed anyway as Jon had released DA and had some success with it. Obviously songs like Older were written and played on his solo tour in 1998.

My point is that due to the circumstances surrounding the delay of Sex Sells/Crush the idea of the album changed. I am just very interested to know what that original idea was like.

As for the promotion, you can catch the early promotion in the video for Real Life, would that song have made the Sex Sells album??

Tags
sex sells