Jovitalk - Bon Jovi Fan Community
Home Register Members FAQ Mark Forums Read

Lip Synch in Livin on a Prayer?

General BJ Discussion

Old 06-07-2019, 07:31 PM
Blame it on the love of posting

Location: In a bar breathing smoke, snorting whiskey drinking coke.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonjovi90 View Post
Pretty sure that this was either bad editing for the TV broadcast (like Richie's Living In Sin solo in Santiago 1990) or an overdub. There was an article posted here at some point from that era where it was explained that Jon spent the entire night in the studio after the show in order to check and fix possible voice problems.
That doesn't make sense though because when Jon reaches the mic he's already missed a line. If he missed his cue and there was no backing track he'd just start over but he doesn't.

I'm not denying the fact there were over dubs but it doesn't make sense in this context.

Old 06-07-2019, 08:11 PM

Old 06-07-2019, 09:46 PM
Keep the Faith

Quote:
Originally Posted by DestinationJovi View Post
A lot of Prayer from 1987 is lip synced by Jon. His vocals were shot to pieces and he just couldn't sing it.
Old 06-07-2019, 09:57 PM
Posting everyday

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tictoc View Post
That doesn't make sense though because when Jon reaches the mic he's already missed a line. If he missed his cue and there was no backing track he'd just start over but he doesn't.

I'm not denying the fact there were over dubs but it doesn't make sense in this context.
I just listened to the audience recording of that night and Jon sang it in time, a little inaudible on the first line, but on cue.
So it was just poor editing by the Japanese. Much like Living In Sin from Santiago 1990 or Bad Name from the official Wembley DVD.
Old 06-07-2019, 10:23 PM
Posting everyday

Quote:
Originally Posted by DestinationJovi View Post
They did have that playback track going ever since the headliner tour in very late 1986 took off in the USA. Sometimes louder, sometimes not that noticeable. Here it is just brutally obvious because his voice is like hell in the verses and then it gets fine, plus it's from the mixing desk. I'm always amused at fans raving about "best LOAP, he sang all the high notes" on Youtube on 1987 shows when in fact it was playback with Jon on top of it. It just wasn't that clear on earlier shows since his voice was still fine in the verses and the difference wasn't that big then.
Old 06-08-2019, 12:32 AM

Location: In a bar breathing smoke, snorting whiskey drinking coke.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonjovi90 View Post
I just listened to the audience recording of that night and Jon sang it in time, a little inaudible on the first line, but on cue.

So it was just poor editing by the Japanese. Much like Living In Sin from Santiago 1990 or Bad Name from the official Wembley DVD.
So you're saying that the video footage was edited badly? Which has nothing to do with over dubs.

Do you have the recording available so I can listen?
Old 06-08-2019, 04:30 PM
Posting everyday

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tictoc View Post
So you're saying that the video footage was edited badly? Which has nothing to do with over dubs.

Do you have the recording available so I can listen?
I hadn't watched that part at that point, simply remembered that overdubs were done the night afterwards for the later broadcast.
In this case, I really think it was bad editing or a mix of both. Like Ruanway from Tokyo 1985 where the screams were overdubbed later and bad editing make it seem like poor lip-syncing in parts.
Here's Tokyo Road from a (poor) audience recording to compare:
https://www.sendspace.com/file/hkjs5g
Old 07-07-2019, 09:48 AM
Next 100 Posts

It is kind of ridiculous to use the high note playback from 2013, after the solo the backing track from 1989 (like someone said in the comments) and in my opinion the "take my hand" part is now prerecorded from David in my opinion because it sounds exactly the same at every concert.

Why aren't they using the hall of fame edited version as backing track. Nobody who doesn't follow the band closely would notice it but to use the track from 1989 is ridiculous.
Old 07-07-2019, 02:51 PM
Keep the Faith

Quote:
Originally Posted by richiefan95 View Post
Bon Jovi ?Livin? on a prayer? live am 3.Juli 2019 in Düsseldorf - YouTube

It is kind of ridiculous to use the high note playback from 2013, after the solo the backing track from 1989 (like someone said in the comments) and in my opinion the "take my hand" part is now prerecorded from David in my opinion because it sounds exactly the same at every concert.

Why aren't they using the hall of fame edited version as backing track. Nobody who doesn't follow the band closely would notice it but to use the track from 1989 is ridiculous.
That's definitely not David on the "Take my hand, we'll make it I swear " part. It's Jon's voice from the SWW album.
Old 07-07-2019, 04:57 PM
Next 100 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavetheGodofKeys View Post
That's definitely not David on the "Take my hand, we'll make it I swear " part. It's Jon's voice from the SWW album.

At 2:33
Are you sure that this is the SWW album version. Sounds different and not like Jon to me but I could be mistaken?

Last edited by richiefan95; 07-07-2019 at 05:01 PM..