Jovitalk - Bon Jovi Fan Community
Home Register Members FAQ

Review: My Chemical Romance - The Black Parade

Other Bands

Old 10-20-2006, 02:12 AM
Jovi Geek

Send a message via AIM to RyanBounce04 Send a message via MSN to RyanBounce04 Send a message via Yahoo to RyanBounce04
Default Review: My Chemical Romance - The Black Parade

I'd have to say that 2006 hasn't been the best year for music. There are some exceptions such as Let Love In by the Goo Goo Dolls and Amputechture by The Mars Volta. Well, next week, the music scene is going to change when My Chemical Romance's "The Black Parade" hits shelves. What might be the most anticipated album of 2006 lives up to it's reputation. When My Chem recruited Rob Cavallo many knew that My Chemical Romances next album could be one of the biggest of 2006. After recent success with Green Day and American Idiot, Rob wanted to bring the life into My Chem. What happened was magic. After recording the album in a house that was said to be haunted, the album came out with a haunted sound that celebrated death. "The Black Parade" is a masterpiece in it's own. Hooks, melodies, screaming guitars, bellowing vocals, and orchestration that lights up almost every song. Rob Cavallo has done it again, another rock opera. "The Black Parade" will be the biggest album of 2006 and possibly 2007.

My Chemical Romance

Gerard Way - Vox
Frank Iero - Guitar
Ray Toro- Lead Guitar
Mikey Way- Bass
Bob Bryar - Drums

Album - The Black Parade

The End - A perfect introduction to the album. With tons of piano and acoustic guitars. What you thought would be slow and melodic turned into loud and dark. The vocals are both respectful and scary. A beautiful way to start the album. 9/10

Dead! - Starts with a chugging guitar and a flatline noise. Soon follows a sweet guitar solo. Dead! almost sounds like an anthem and a praise to actually being dead. The chorus is catchy as hell. More orchestration adds a lighthearted feel until turning into another guitar solo that serves the song extremely well. Towards the end there is just about 100 people singing "La La". A great rocker! 9/10

This Is How I Dissapear - Starts with a heavy intro of guitar and drums. Right before the chorus, it just sounds like a dog fight between drums and guitar. The chorus itself is probably one of the catchiest of the album. I think it's my favorite for sure. Another loud rocker that still has the melodie and a great dark feeling. Towards the end it just takes off into a dark metal line that will leave you wanting more 10/10

The Sharpest Lives - This song starts with a lower vocal before kicking into ANOTHER catchy chorus. Near the middle of the song, small guitar solo's and a great build into the chorus. Tons of shining moments for little guitar parts. Another solid song. 8/10

Welcome To The Black Parade - The lead single. A beautiful intro with piano and Gerard singing solo. With the addition of bells and a drum cadence, it only gets better. The build into the first verse is brilliant. It's an anthem with beautiful guitar and Gerard singing his heart out. It then kicks into high gear and sounds like a My Chemical Romance song a fan knows. The chorus is catchy, easy to sing. There's a pretty sweet build up to the final chorus with the cadence and back up vocals. It's a huge anthem that also has a fun little guitar solo. With added orchestration, the song is a great first single. The final "Carry On!!" just has a ring with the drum cadence and ending with a huge boom of the floor tom/bass drum. 9/10

I Don't Love You - As close to a ballad as you can get for this band. It's a little more mellow and defined with Gerards voice. The verse leading up to the chorus is very clean and beautiful, even though the lyrics may not agree. The chorus is very sad, but again... Very catchy. I really love the feel of this song. Between the instrumentation and Gerards vocals, it's a sweet little ballad. There's also a small guitar diddy, not necessarily a solo. A great, but different song for them. 9/10

House Of Wolves - It instantly hits hard. It's extremely loud and upbeat. Sounds like a typical upbeat rocker. The way Gerard sings each verse is awesome, particularly the second one. The chorus is not as catchy as the others, but is still easy to sing along with. There are some awesome little additions that make the song really cool. There's also a pretty sweet guitar solo near the end that caps off this rocker. 8/10

Cancer - This is one of the sadest songs I've heard from this band. It's basically Gerard singing with a piano. For being such a sad song, lyrically and emotionially, it's beautiful. Finally some violin and drums are added to effect the end of the song. Gerard is gently singing his heart out. It's fantastic. 9/10

Mama - So this starts out with a old sounding guitar and Gerard just singing this little jig. This is the weirdest song on the album, but it hits hard. The chorus is loud and fun. My first thought is that it sounds like something from a Carnival or Fair. You'll hear that in the second verse. Finally, some extremely weird instrumentation that turns into just a downright dark and heavy riff. The strangest part of the song is when Liza Minelli herself adds a small vocal appearance before kicking into the Carnival music that's just fantastic. It's so dark and fun. The end that leaves orchestration that sounds just like the fair. A masterpiece! 10/10

Sleep - This song starts very melodically with piano and voices speaking before kicking into one of the best riffs on the album. I fell in love with it instantly. The song is pretty simple throughout each verse. I really love the chorus though. Gerard says "Just Sleep!!!!!!!". Everytime he says it, I get chills. The lyrics fit well for the song. The piano kicks back in before it kicks into one of the best parts of the album musically. It's absolutely fantastic. The melodic riff heard in the beginning is taken into effect with Gerard screaming at the top of his lungs before getting into the voices and a single guitar. Well done, impressed again! 10/10

Teenager - Sounds like a Status Quo song for sure. It's by far the catchiest song on the album. The line.. "Teenagers scare the living shit out of me" is a classic. There's a sweet guitar solo that's added. This is a fun song and could be a favorite among fans. 9/10

Disenchanted - A beautiful acoustic guitar intro that gets into Gerards vocals. This song has been floating around for awhile as they performed it live last year all the time. The first verse is catchy as hell and will make you want to get the lighter. The backup vocals are beautiful as it kicks into one of the most melodic and meaningful choruses they've ever written. Beatiful guitar solo's and orchestration add to the feel. It's a great feeling song. One of the best songs they've written and performed. 10/10

Famous Last Words - The second single to be. It starts with Gerard's vocals and a clicking guitar that gets into an upbeat melody. Before you know it, you're at another awesome chorus and some awesome guitar work following it. As I've read by other fans, it's an instant favorite from the album and a great closure. Some great guitar parts add a little flavor. The final moments of the song are just the chorus repeated over and over again. It's an anthem. The end is Gerard and the band singing the chorus one last time. Great way to end the album. 9/10

Bonus Track - Just sounds like something that was written in the 1930's. It's just a little flavor they threw in. It's actually called "Blood" and it's exactly what it sounds like. You won't hear that until you get the album. It's interesting but I found it rather dumb. 6/10

Heaven Help Us (B-Side) - My brother really likes this song, it's rather upbeat and again, the chorus is very melodic and catchy. You'll be able to catch this song on the "Welcome To The Black Parade" single. It's a great song though and it could fit in with the album. 8/10

So again, believe it or not. This is a "My Chemical Masterpiece". Rob Cavallo worked extremely hard and it has the same effect on me like Green Day's American Idiot did. Honestly, even if you don't think it could possibly be any good, trust me. It's a fun listen and I'm sure you'll appreciate it for what it is. "Three Cheers For Sweet Revenge" was a big album with a few huge songs. This album is out of this world and I have a feeling can double the sales that their last album did. I give the album a solid 9/10. Enjoy it and I hope to be the person to say... "I told ya so."

You can stream the entire album at:
www.theblackparade.com

Ryan
Tampa Bay Lightning - 2004 Stanley Cup Champions
Philadelphia Soul - 2008 AFL Champions
Oklahoma City Thunder - ????????

Last edited by RyanBounce04; 10-20-2006 at 08:27 PM..

Old 10-23-2006, 04:09 AM
Jovitalk Award Winner
I'll Post When I'm Dead

Send a message via AIM to Kathleen Send a message via MSN to Kathleen

Thanks for the review - I've been hearing so much about this album around here. I didn't know if it was because they were from Jersey or because the album was any good. I'll have a listen.

Kathleen

You write your truth and I'll write mine.
Old 10-23-2006, 05:07 AM
This Post Feels Right

Send a message via AIM to Captain_jovi Send a message via MSN to Captain_jovi

Here's my problem with this band. They always sound so killer on record but the last two times I've seen them try and pull off "The black parade" live, it kind of falls apart. On SNL last Saturday, they switched the vocals so the lead guy did the lower part and the guitarist took the higher it just...I don't know. I wish they were as good live as they are on record, it'd be killer.

That being said, I really like the lead off single. It took awhile to grow on me when you sent it to me but I am really digging it. It sounds a bit too "American Idiot" for me but I do enjoy it.

EDIT: Just watched them do it on AOL sessions. This isn't as nearly as bad as it was on SNL. Still far from how good it is on record but I was too hasty to judge them on a couple of off performances.

Last edited by Captain_jovi; 10-23-2006 at 05:11 AM..
Old 10-24-2006, 01:02 AM
Jovi Geek

Send a message via AIM to RyanBounce04 Send a message via MSN to RyanBounce04 Send a message via Yahoo to RyanBounce04

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain_jovi View Post
Here's my problem with this band. They always sound so killer on record but the last two times I've seen them try and pull off "The black parade" live, it kind of falls apart. On SNL last Saturday, they switched the vocals so the lead guy did the lower part and the guitarist took the higher it just...I don't know. I wish they were as good live as they are on record, it'd be killer.

That being said, I really like the lead off single. It took awhile to grow on me when you sent it to me but I am really digging it. It sounds a bit too "American Idiot" for me but I do enjoy it.

EDIT: Just watched them do it on AOL sessions. This isn't as nearly as bad as it was on SNL. Still far from how good it is on record but I was too hasty to judge them on a couple of off performances.
I know where you are coming from because they aren't a great live band period. They are fantastic on record though, just as you said.

Ryan
Old 10-24-2006, 01:14 AM
Jovitalk Award Winner
I'll Post When I'm Dead

Send a message via AIM to Kathleen Send a message via MSN to Kathleen

Unfortunately, I have this preconceived notion that if a band isn't good live - they arent' good - period. I have pretty much used this as a guideline since I've been a teenager and it has been a decent yardstick to measure by. From my experience if an act is good live - they have a chance of hanging around for awhile.

In the beginning I thought Bruce sucked bucause I hated the sound on his records - still do actually. But his live shows - oh what a difference. While I liked some Bon Jovi albums - it wasn't until I saw a live show that I became a hardcore fan. And Led Zeppelin albums were good - but absolutely nothing like being there live - I actually miss them the most.

So - I may enjoy some of My Chenical Romance on disc - and I have loved listening to the streaming album that you posted Ryan - I doubt that they will ultimately become favorites.

I can cite the Goo Goo Dolls as an example. I loved their albums and coudn't wait to hear them as the opening act on the Bounce tour. After hearing them open (far too many times) I was so disappointed that I have hardly listened to them since.

Kathleen

You write your truth and I'll write mine.
Old 10-24-2006, 01:45 AM
Jovi Geek

Kathleen,
I agree with you 100%. How a band is live is my ultimate measuring stick for their longevity. I will give their new record a listen though. Thanks Ryan for your review.

deb
Old 10-24-2006, 02:02 AM
Jovi Geek

When I said, they aren't a very good live band, I really didn't mean it as that they didn't gel as a group or anything like that. I think what I meant to say was that the vocal performance needs a makeover. (This was before any of the new songs have been performed). I think Gerards vocals fit a little better on this album and I'm sure you'll see an improvement in vocals, just hope the rest of the band is where it needs to be.

Ryan