Jovitalk - Bon Jovi Fan Community
Home Register Members FAQ

The Times article about the last 3 years

General BJ Discussion

Old 10-10-2016, 12:44 PM
Blame it on the love of posting

Default The Times article about the last 3 years

Very very interesting read, goes into greater detail than the usual ones. I'm sorry if it has been posted, I couldn't find it. I'm pasting it in here for the ones who can't access the article online, would be a 2 part post, it's long

http://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/jo...life-2hmr8ns3d

"Jon Bon Jovi: ‘These three years have been the worst of my life’
Record company woes and a guitarist gone Awol are among the setbacks that inspired a new album

Will Hodgkinson
October 8 2016, 12:01am,
The Times

Occupying two floors of a nondescript block in Hell’s Kitchen, Manhattan, the Power Station is where countless pop and rock stars from the late 1970s onwards laid down their biggest hits. Over the past three decades Paul McCartney, Bruce Springsteen, Lady Gaga and David Bowie have passed through this legendary recording studio, and today the Power Station’s former tea boy is reminiscing about the two highly formative years he spent working inside its wood-panelled walls.

“I was here when David Bowie made Let’s Dance,” says Jon Bon Jovi, a lean, handsome 54-year-old, those famous teeth, so redolent of American health and vitality, as pronounced as ever. “I had to bring him a Heineken. I was here when Madonna was in the studio upstairs, recording Like a Virgin.”

Jon Bongiovi, as he was then known, worked at the Power Station from 1980, straight out of high school, until launching Bon Jovi in earnest in 1982. The stadium rock band went on to sell 130 million albums and establish its frontman as one of the biggest stars in the world, famous for such fist-in-the-air anthems as Livin’ on a Prayer, You Give Love a Bad Name and Bad Medicine. Before all that, he was just a New Jersey teen playing in cover bands and dreaming of the big time.

“My uncle came to New Jersey to see my band,” says Bon Jovi, as we take a tour of the studio he worked in 36 years ago. “He told my dad, ‘The band sucks but your kid’s got something’ and offered me a job. I soon learnt that the bigger the star, the nicer the person. I remember getting out of a cab on the day John Lennon had been shot. I was counting my change on the street to pay the guy and behind me there were all these flashbulbs going off. It was the Rolling Stones. Mick Jagger comes up, puts his arm around me, and says, ‘Here’s my new band.’ Diana Ross yelled at me. I went in to deliver whatever I was told to deliver and she chewed me a new ass. Today I’d like to tell her to go get my coffee.”

He did not, however, pick up tips from watching Bowie record vocals for Let’s Dance. “I wasn’t close enough to witness the inner workings of a record, nor would I allow a kid today to sit in the studio while I’m working out the intimacies of a song. I was only breathing the same air as these people. My job was to get the hamburgers and park the car.”

Bon Jovi is in a mood to look back because, after three years of what he describes as “a living hell, the worst of my life”, he’s back on fighting form with This House Is Not for Sale. As the title suggests, the album is something of a mission statement for Bon Jovi. Three and a half decades on from first strutting out of New Jersey, looking very much like the blue-collar suburbanites who would go on to make up the bulk of their audience, Bon Jovi have reclaimed their role as the go-to guys for straight-up heartland rock — big on passion, low on pretentiousness.

“The bumper sticker for this album would read, ‘Out of great pain comes great songs,’ ” says Bon Jovi, settling into a black leather sofa in a back room of the Power Station. “If everything had been peachy-clean, I wouldn’t have known what to write about.”

What, then, has been so bad about the past three years?

“The big one: at a concert in Calgary in 2013 I look over to my right and there is a blank spot where the guitarist should be,” says Bon Jovi, referring to the sudden disappearance of founder member Richie Sambora. “The album’s in at No 1, the concert is sold out, and he doesn’t show up. And there was no big fight. We haven’t seen him since.”

Sambora has since stated that he wanted to spend more time with his daughter, which seems a strange reason to leave moments before the 21st concert of a 101-date tour. I ask Bon Jovi, who has written a ballad called Living with the Ghost about Sambora’s leaving, why he thinks the guitarist so integral to Bon Jovi’s power-rock sound felt the need to bolt.

“I haven’t done enough interviews to give you an answer to that,” he says. “There has been a history, let’s leave it at that. The last time Richie had been in rehab [replacement guitarist] Phil X learnt all the songs, so I called Phil and thank God he was available. From then on I didn’t have time to breathe or grieve, and only at the end of the tour was I able to come to terms with what had happened. I was blindsided by it.”

Then there was the fall-out with Mercury, the label Bon Jovi had been with for their whole career. In 2013 their deal was up and the label wanted to negotiate a new one, giving it greater ownership over the band’s recordings. Bon Jovi responded by handing them a contract-filler of an album called Burning Bridges, the title song for which goes: “After 30 years of loyalty they let you dig the grave.” The album came with no credits, no lyrics, no photographs and no videos, just the bare minimum of music required to be legitimately called an album. As Bon Jovi admits, “I might as well have handed it to them in a brown paper bag.”

I look over to my right and there’s a blank spot where the guitarist should be
Bizarrely, This House Is Not for Sale is coming out on Mercury. What rebuilt the bridge that the band and the label had just burnt down? “We pouted and stamped our feet until we came to a compromise. For all of 2014 I was doing nothing, coming down from everything and wondering: what’s the motivation, do I have anything left to say? But I never wanted to stop doing this, I never wanted to leave Mercury, and eventually I understood the label’s position. The business has changed and we had to come up with a different deal, one I could live with and they could accept.”

As we go back over Bon Jovi’s story, you realise how hard it must be to give up life in one in one of the world’s biggest rock bands. “When it began, I never dreamt of rock star status because it was unattainable,” he says, leaning ever farther into the sofa and radiating that special confidence only lead singers of successful rock bands have. “I would look at posters of Led Zeppelin and Aerosmith on my bedroom wall and think: where do they come from? But I liked the music, I knew what it did to my heartbeat, and learning to play guitar was interesting. From then on, each step — playing in a backyard, a block dance, a high school, a nightclub, a radio show — made you feel like you were the Rolling Stones. Then it was Slippery When Wet [the third album, released in 1986, 12 million copies sold] and we said to each other, ‘Well, we’ve made it.’ In retrospect it was just another step on the journey.”

Being from New Jersey, the place New Yorkers laugh at when they want to feel superior, proved central to Bon Jovi. It gave them both a will to succeed and somewhere from which to position themselves as the band of the people.

“You have New York, the centre of the world. Thirty-five minutes away is where we grew up. Coming to the city was intimidating to say the least. You could rarely get a gig. I showed up at [the legendary punk club] CBGB’s on the wrong night. Growing up in the shadows was a good thing for us.”

Bon Jovi has always, as the name suggests, been Jon Bon Jovi’s band. There’s no question about who is in charge, but I’m interested to know how much the keyboardist David Bryan, drummer Tico Torres and, until 2013, guitarist Richie Sambora have contributed.

“They came into the organisation knowing the situation,” he says, sounding for a moment less like a stadium rocker and more like a chief executive assessing his company’s human resources policy. “They were not sidemen and everyone got paid handsomely, but it was always my vision. Thankfully they stayed with me over the speed bumps, and my gratitude to Dave and Richie and Tico is for ever . . . but not so much that it couldn’t go on without any one of them.”

Success took its toll. When Bon Jovi’s 232-date world tour for their album New Jersey ended in early 1990, each band member flew home on his own private jet. When Jon Bon Jovi cut his famous tresses in 1992, it made CNN headlines. How can you prepare for that level of fame?

“You can’t. Here comes a manager with a contract and you don’t know what you’re signing. Here’s someone saying, ‘Oh and write another hit by next year. Good luck, kid.’ It’s the old adage. You get enormous success, you burn out, you break up, and then you’re Guns N’ Roses and it takes you 25 years to do a reunion tour. When we started we were in a rock band for the right reasons, it was us against the world. And then it becomes this thing, and it goes to your head. I went to see Jersey Boys recently and it’s all there. This guy’s doing drugs, this guy’s not, this guy’s in with the wrong crowd . . . boom, it falls apart. If you’re lucky, you get back together. If not, at least you’ve got a great play to write.”

These days what's left of me ain't no Prince Charming

We know Jon, we know

Old 10-10-2016, 12:45 PM
Blame it on the love of posting

Part 2

"Bon Jovi never got into drugs. He’s been married to Dorothea, his high-school sweetheart, since 1989. (“I’ll take the monicker as poster boy for marriage because I was wise enough, even as a young man, to realise the grass isn’t always greener.”) He spends much of his time running the Soul Foundation, a Philadelphia charity providing homes for low-income families, alongside a community restaurant where patrons volunteer for their meals or contribute financially with a minimum donation. All of this might lead you to think that the next stop for Bon Jovi, a lifelong Democrat who campaigned on behalf of Barack Obama, is politics. He rejects the suggestion.

“I wish there was more nobility in politics,” he says. Could he be talking about Donald Trump’s ruthless campaigning tactics? “Let me see if I can say this properly without just spewing my views. I understand the plight of the angry white older guy, which is the demographic that candidate is winning, because of the chasm between the haves and the have-nots and because the middle class has been eroded. In England, that frustration led to Brexit. With Trump, there was a time when I thought, no chance in Hell. Then I got scared. Then about six weeks ago I thought, we’re going to be OK, love will prevail over hate. Now I just don’t know.”

You can see why Bon Jovi might be hankering after the certainties of his youth, why coming back to the Power Station, where it all began for him, is an attractive proposition. “Now I’m trying to get the muscles back to go out there again, but I’m trepidatious,” he says as our interview comes to an end. “You’re the first person I’ve really talked to about the album and all I want to ask is, ‘What do you think?’ ”

I tell him I think it’s an honest album with a bruised and battered feel, reminiscent of Springsteen at his most rocking. He likes the first description but not the second, Springsteen comparisons having dogged him for the past three decades. As we get up to leave, I ask him what’s next.

“The plan now is to do some shows where we play This House Is Not for Sale from beginning to end.”

What, no Livin’ on a Prayer?

“When I get out on tour the chances of playing 15 songs from the album are probably not real, but every artist wants to play the new stuff. So first here is the album, presented in the way an album mattered to me when I was a kid. Then it’s the next step. You want Livin’ on a Prayer?”

Of course I do. Who doesn’t?

“Come and see us on tour.”

This House Is Not for Sale by Bon Jovi is out on Mercury on October 21"

These days what's left of me ain't no Prince Charming

We know Jon, we know

Last edited by symbeline; 10-10-2016 at 12:49 PM..
Old 10-10-2016, 01:18 PM
Jovi Freak

Nothing about the incident with Jon's daughter? Huh.
Old 10-10-2016, 01:39 PM
Jovi Geek

Thank you very much for posting. I had not seen it before.
Old 10-10-2016, 03:38 PM
Price of posting

So all your pain is because it has a blank spot in its right side.

Old 10-10-2016, 05:13 PM
These Days

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alphavictim View Post
Nothing about the incident with Jon's daughter? Huh.
Well d'uh... I don't think any good parent would bring up something like that in the press 3,5 years later without being specifically asked. Plus, it was covered quite a bit when it happened.
Old 10-10-2016, 05:46 PM
These Days

Quote:
Originally Posted by rolo_tomachi View Post
So all your pain is because it has a blank spot in its right side.

Haha... Kind of agrees with you on that one. I'd be quite happy if the worst years of my life was because of a falling out with my record company and having to find a new guitar player. Sure, I get that Richie is more than just a guitar player for Jon, but c'mon, isn't he making a fire out of a spark on this one?
Old 10-10-2016, 07:35 PM
The Voice of Reason
Destination any Forum

Quote:
Originally Posted by DryCounty View Post
Haha... Kind of agrees with you on that one. I'd be quite happy if the worst years of my life was because of a falling out with my record company and having to find a new guitar player. Sure, I get that Richie is more than just a guitar player for Jon, but c'mon, isn't he making a fire out of a spark on this one?
No, I don't think so. They are elements that formed three plus decades of his life that just dropped out from under him. They were constants that had been there longer than not through the whole of his life. They seem trite, but it comes down to the intricate, emotional details that we don't see or hear about, I am sure it's profound for him. Basically, you'd need to step in his shoes and I'm sure he's just touching on the surface of topics he doesn't want to go into further detail on.

It's easy to perceive and dismiss it all as "just business," but the foundation of what Jon does is borne of his passion for making music and what ultimately drives the business. Richie and the record company were major earthquakes within that foundation.

Last edited by Bleeding Purist; 10-10-2016 at 08:11 PM..
Old 10-10-2016, 07:40 PM
This Post Feels Right

Send a message via AIM to Captain_jovi Send a message via MSN to Captain_jovi

He didn't say "Here are all the things that happened" he said "This is the big one". In the context of the band, yeah Richie leaving was probably the biggest thing to happen to them.
Old 10-10-2016, 08:10 PM
The Voice of Reason
Destination any Forum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain_jovi View Post
He didn't say "Here are all the things that happened" he said "This is the big one". In the context of the band, yeah Richie leaving was probably the biggest thing to happen to them.
My thoughts, exactly.