Jovitalk - Bon Jovi Fan Community
Home Register Members FAQ

For Metallica Fans...

Other Bands

Old 08-01-2005, 02:26 AM
Jovi Geek

Send a message via AIM to RyanBounce04 Send a message via MSN to RyanBounce04 Send a message via Yahoo to RyanBounce04
Default For Metallica Fans...

What's your favorite Metallica album and song from that album????? Also, what do you think is the most underrated Metallica album???

Favorite Album: Load
Most Underrated Album: Load

Load is just a kickass album. When I listened to Kill Em' All, RTL, MOP, AJFA... All I thought was how much they rock and how much more metal they could bring. Then they got popular with The Black Album... When Load hit the stores.. Fans felt betrayed and everything. When I listen to Load, I feel the exact opposite. They bring on the heavy, but yet simple attitude into their lyrics and music. It kicks ass! Some of the guitar is just much more thought into and complicated compared to their first 4 albums. I love Load! My favorite song on Load is a tie between Bleeding Me and Wasting My Hate!

Ryan
Tampa Bay Lightning - 2004 Stanley Cup Champions
Philadelphia Soul - 2008 AFL Champions
Oklahoma City Thunder - ????????

Old 08-01-2005, 02:51 AM
This Post Feels Right

There is no Metallica after Justice for All :P :P

My faves:
Justice for All - One, Yeah, how predictable, I'm a chick. But it must be tie with Master of Puppets - Welcome Home.

I remember my sister buying Ride the Lightening (while I bought Synchronicity by The Police - hahaha) and I thought it was the weirdest shit ever lol.

I actually liked Black, but considering that they played that album to death on the radio, I don't want it mentioned as a Metallica album not the same Metallica I grew up with.

Everything after Black does not deserve to exist. (though I like Until it Sleeps - another great radio song - gag)
I miss the fire that was once in your eyes
Well come on and say something now
Old 08-01-2005, 04:31 AM
This Post Feels Right

Default Re: For Metallica Fans...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanBounce04
Then they got popular with The Black Album... When Load hit the stores.. Fans felt betrayed and everything. When I listen to Load, I feel the exact opposite.
I am feeling really really old saying this, but: Ryan! Dude! you cannot feel betrayed by Metallica cause you weren't around back then. You cannot feel the same way, cause all you have known is 'the opposite'.

Backtracking a particular band is not the same as growing up with that particular band. Discovering them in their infancy, breaking through 'together' with them, feeling part of the movement, believing in them before they actually had a history (not in hindsight), etc.

I might have liked St. Anger or Reload, IF I had started there. IF I didn't spend oodles of days, weeks in my room with a little record player playing Metallica's Master of Puppets over and over and over ON VINYL. Discovering Megadeath, Overkill, Kreator. Laughing at Warrent (though drooling over Jani Lane ). Witnessing the entire metal movement - being beaten up over the fact that *I* was too young to truly grasp the bigger picture which really started with Led Zeppelin and Black Sabbath - before my ****ing time....

sigh... that's all cheers and I won't suck it :P
Old 08-01-2005, 05:56 AM
Jovi Geek

Send a message via AIM to RyanBounce04 Send a message via MSN to RyanBounce04 Send a message via Yahoo to RyanBounce04

Evan as listening to the Master of Puppets album and my first AJFA CD... Infact I did grow up with Metallica. Not so much remembering anything before... 1992. My parents friends would come over with the AJFA records and play it. So don't act like I don't know what I'm talking about. Maybe if I were as old and wrinkly as you, I'd understand. But I do see it at a viewpoint in which maybe I don't understand as well. But I get the jist! And no, I don't want you to suck it... BLOW IT!!

Ryan
Tampa Bay Lightning - 2004 Stanley Cup Champions
Philadelphia Soul - 2008 AFL Champions
Oklahoma City Thunder - ????????
Old 08-01-2005, 07:55 AM
Posting Always

Fav: Master OF Puppets
Most underrated: Garage Inc.

I like all them 3 first albums a lot. Debut had its sheep power and agressiveness, while lacking something in the production. Ride the lightning did add better production, while Master of puppets is truly a masterpiece. Great songs, each of them 8 tracks on the album offers something different. And there is no weak track.

Garage Inc then. Sure, its just re-release of old covers with additional new covers. But when u do take a closer listen, u might figure out that Metallica actually puts something new to those songs. And, not all of them are that obvious choises of covertracks for metal band.

Few points about other albums.....AJFA. Commerciality stepped in. Overall, it is a kickass album, but it lacks something. Can't really point out why, but it was a disappointment for me. Maybe the main thing is lack of Cliff. U know, lotsa creativity died with Cliff.

Load/ReLoad. At first I thought they must have been joking releasing those. Metallica goes pop? geez!...but, there are damn good songs hidden beneath that radiofriendly production and such. But I do think that songs like "mama said" are bit too much......I must add, with load they did put up one hell of a show, at least over in Europe. New tracks did fit in their set nicely.

St. Anger. Production sucks. The album is way better on bonus dvd from rehearsals than the album itself. Songs do kick ass, well most of them. Few boring ones. I still dont get the idea of no solos though.

Old 08-01-2005, 11:11 AM
Destination any Forum

Send a message via MSN to Mr Bluesman

Not listened to Metallica properly for a long time. Hmm...

My favourite will always be Ride The Lightning. I like every track on that album, from Fight Fire With Fire to Call Of Ktulu. It also brings back good memories. Master Of Puppets and the Black album have been favourites at some point but Ride The Lightning is the one for me.

I'm not so sure about which albums are raved about these days, so it's a bit more difficult to pick an under rated album. I seem to remember being the only one of my friends who really liked Reload. Is this normal? It's a bit different for Metallica and I think that's why I like it. Low Man's Lyric will always be one of my all time favourites.
Old 08-02-2005, 02:53 AM
Hardest Part is the Night

Send a message via MSN to SomethingToBelieveIn

Fav: Master Of Puppets
Underated: St. Anger

We should be thankful their still making music.
Old 08-03-2005, 02:06 AM
Blaze of Posting

Quote:
Originally Posted by SomethingToBelieveIn
Fav: Master Of Puppets
Underated: St. Anger

We should be thankful their still making music.
not if they're making crappy music.

anyway my fav. metallica album as a whole deffinately has to be Master of Puppets, but my fav. song is Fade to Black from Ride the Lightning.(I know no from the same album, so what??
In my view, Metallica went to sh!t with st. anger, I don't understand how that album is going back into their roots when It's comepletely opposite to everything they did when they were finding their roots.
Ryan please listen to this sh!t carefully, Loads guitar work is in no way shape or form more complex than any of MOP of RTL solo's, at all, maybe more thought out in a way, but learn to play guitar and you'll se a real difference. Kirk discovered the slide, big deal.
But I will add one thing, I like both load and reload, there's still a trace of metallica in those albums, and both have songs with I love, but they also have songs which I hate, and that had never happened with a Metallica album for me (I owned all the metallica albums before this one had been released and was already a fan, it's a long story let's just say I inherited this from my uncle).
What I really don't get are the no solo's on st. anger, sucky production, and seven minute songs that only have 2 or 3 (horrible) lines in them and could have made the same point in 2 or 3 minutes. But that's just me.

Metallica doesn't have an underrated album IMO, they have all garnered the recognition they deserve, in some cases more. But they do have one underrated song and That's Fixxxer, yes Fixxer the last track on Reload.
The fact that the album alienated a lot of fans and was a bit too commercial for Metallica hides the fact that this song is freakin genious.
Just my opinion by the way, all of this.
Old 08-03-2005, 03:38 AM
Lay your Posts on Me

Fav album - Justice
Most underated - Load

IMO Metallica hit their peak w/ Justice. Black was good but like it's been said already, It's been played to death. Everything on Justice just reaks of angst and disontent. I say Load is underated beacuse of all the crap they caught when it first came out. Given I had my opinions back then too. It took several years and ST. Anger for me to really appreciate Load.

SpunkyWho - I think One could have been on Black as much as it was overplayed. I'd ask for your thoughts but you already gave it
Quote:
I actually liked Black, but considering that they played that album to death on the radio, I don't want it mentioned as a Metallica album
Quote:
Justice for All - One, Yeah, how predictable, I'm a chick.
Just joking!!!
Old 08-03-2005, 04:05 AM
This Post Feels Right

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeb865

SpunkyWho - I think One could have been on Black as much as it was overplayed. I'd ask for your thoughts but you already gave it
Quote:
I actually liked Black, but considering that they played that album to death on the radio, I don't want it mentioned as a Metallica album
Quote:
Justice for All - One, Yeah, how predictable, I'm a chick.
Just joking!!!
Well, it is quite true though!! 'One' could have been on the Black album and it was the song that attracted a whole new fanbase, it also was their first video, wasn't it?

My theory is that girls like emotional songs and there can't be a more emotional song than 'One' Of all the videos I've seen in my lifetime, One is most definitely the one that's been etched in my brain permanently - I might be a drooling vegetable one day, wearing diapers and not remembering my name, but you bet I'll play 'One' over and over and over in my brain (how appropriate) lol. It was quite the moment...