Jovitalk - Bon Jovi Fan Community
Home Register Members FAQ Mark Forums Read

The Dark Knight

TV & Movies

Old 07-20-2008, 08:51 PM
Jovi Addict

Send a message via MSN to LozLovesBonJovi

I so cannot wait to watch The Dark Knight! I may even have to beg to be taken to our nearest Vue to watch it on the night of its release (Thurs in the uk)!! I loved Batman Begins! I really did! And the trailer for this film looks awesome! Not to mention how much its made already and that its 9.7/10!!
I also love Nolan's The Prestige, with some of the same actors in it - Michael Caine and Christian Bale! So, ...it should be pretty awesome!!

The clouds are breaking, the sun is shining new
On Any Other Day
Maybe luck and love can pull us through
On Any Other Day

Old 07-21-2008, 01:05 AM
Blaze of Posting

They FINALLY got it....

(There are spoilers here)

Most of you know this already, but in case you don't know, I've been reading comics since I was five years old, and own over a thousand of them at this rate. In addition to that, I've probably seen every Hollywood film that's ever been related to the genre. Now, with all that being said I can honestly say that "The Dark Knight" is the absolute best of them all. First and foremost, the story is not a "superhero" story (though it is broken up like a comic book story-arc), in the traditional sense. Rather it's a crime story, that happens to use characters such as Batman, much in the same way as the brilliant Jeph Loeb/Tim Sale graphic novel "The Long Halloween." Speaking of Batman, Christian Bale has perfected his Bruce Wayne. He really captures the tortured resolve that should always drive the character. Gary Oldman is terrific as Jim Gordon. Aaron Eckhart delivers a knockout performance as Harvey Dent/Two-Face, who is perhaps the most important character in the film. It's Dent that represents what Batman can never become, at first he's the public hero, the hope, that Bruce can never be. Later on in the film he represents the opposite end of what Batman can never become, driven mad by vengeance, he abandons any sense of morality. Speaking of Dent's vengeance, Maggie Gyllenhaal delivers a respectable performance as Rachel Dawes. While the character is still nothing to write home about, but she's better then the wooden Katie Holmes. I'm saving the best for last here in Heath Ledger. It's a shame that Heath's death is fueling speculation for an Oscar nod, because he would deserve it no matter what. His Joker is truly riveting. Is he Jack Nicholson? No. Nicholson's joker is a totally different interpretation, a great one, but a different one in a different film.
Ledger nails down the psychotic, twisted nature of the Joker, and both he and Bale seem to have a perfect understanding of the dichotomy between Batman and the Joker. The film was outstanding both standing by itself, and it truly treated the medium with respect. Between this and Iron Man, 2008 has been a hell of a year for comic movies. If only DC and Marvel could do as well.....
Old 07-21-2008, 07:14 AM
Dry County

THIS MOVIE IS WORTH EVERY PENNY!!!! This movie is worth watching just for the Joker. My heart goes out to his family and especially his daughter, his performance was just so amazing. All of the Oscar buzz for Heath Ledger is right on, and he sure as hell should win it. this movie was everything that I thought it would be and more EVERYONE GO SEE THIS MOVIE!!!!

Now Tom said "Mom, wherever there's a cop beatin' a guy
Wherever a hungry newborn baby cries
Where there's a fight 'gainst the blood and hatred in the air
Look for me Mom I'll be there
Wherever there's somebody fightin' for a place to stand
Or decent job or a helpin' hand
Wherever somebody's strugglin' to be free
Look in their eyes Mom you'll see me."

Last edited by slippery89; 07-21-2008 at 07:17 AM..
Old 07-21-2008, 07:32 AM
Dry County

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mousebounce View Post
**Spoiler Alert**

Do not read as this contains some information about what happens in the movie.

I saw it tonight, and I am sad to say that I didn't like it at all. I know everyone is raving about it, but I thought it was too long because they tried to cram way too much into one movie. The entire Two Face storyline should have been removed as it just made the plot convoluted in my opinion. The editors didn't do a great job at editing this movie. A lot could have been removed which would have actually improved it.

Not to mention that I know super hero movies aren't supposed to be realistic, but that entire wi fi thingy, where Batman can see and hear what is going on in all of Gotham was wayyyy out there. In the first Batman you could kind of believe what he was capable of, but they made him do way too many far out things in this movie.

As for Heath Ledger, I can't see him winning any awards for this role although that is all the buzz right now. He was great, don't get me wrong, but award winning is going a bit far. Maggie Gyllenhaal sucked as the "girlfriend." I think my frying pan has more personality than her. First Katie Holmes and now her. They need to find a decent leading lady.

I would give it two out of five stars. The special effects are amazing. Christian Bale rules as Batman, but it was needlessly long with a crappy plot. Heck, I even found myself a bit bored at times. It was a disappointment to say the least.

This reviewer summed it up nicely so I will steal it.

It simply boils down to a matter of taste (for the theatrical). I preferred Batman Begins over The Dark Knight. Nolan's introductory film embraced explanations, took time with its mythology, accepted the character's limitations and established the boundaries of Batman's fictional world. Dark Knight builds on that foundation, for sure, but thrusts ever forward when all I really wanted it to do was stop for a second and soak in the glorious chaos.
I disagree with everything you said. First off Heath winning an oscar is not too much he was amazing and deserves it. The whole thing about Batman hearing people throughout the whole city isn't hard to believe because the government does it. If you don't know there is a big o satellite above all of our heads and the goverenment spys on all of us including you, they can tap into your little phone conversations with your mommy. If you want to talk about unrealistic movies try watching Wanted there are just alot of YEAH RIGHTS in there. I think the plot was great, and I'm not sure if you completely understand what The Joker's part in this movie is because if you did the plot would make a whole lot of sense. I thought Batman Begins wasn't all that good, it just kind of dragged for me. Another reason for not liking the first one was because it was just mre focused on Bruce becoming Batman and it was just ugh for me and not any decent villians. In all this is just my opinion.

Old 07-21-2008, 06:51 PM
Rocket Queen
I'll Post When I'm Dead

Send a message via MSN to Mousebounce

Quote:
I disagree with everything you said. First off Heath winning an oscar is not too much he was amazing and deserves it. The whole thing about Batman hearing people throughout the whole city isn't hard to believe because the government does it. If you don't know there is a big o satellite above all of our heads and the goverenment spys on all of us including you, they can tap into your little phone conversations with your mommy. If you want to talk about unrealistic movies try watching Wanted there are just alot of YEAH RIGHTS in there. I think the plot was great, and I'm not sure if you completely understand what The Joker's part in this movie is because if you did the plot would make a whole lot of sense. I thought Batman Begins wasn't all that good, it just kind of dragged for me. Another reason for not liking the first one was because it was just mre focused on Bruce becoming Batman and it was just ugh for me and not any decent villians. In all this is just my opinion.
Heath was amazing, but he didn't have the material to win an Oscar for this. If he was the main focus of the movie, without Two Face, perhaps it would be different. As far as the spying thing goes, you don't have one single person looking after 30 million people. That is just stupid. I understand the Joker's part in it, and feel it was strong enough of a part where he should have been the main focus as the villain. Plus, Batman himself was reduced to a supporting role in the film which I also did not like. One last minor detail is Batman's voice. What the heck happened to it? It doesn't sound realistic and almost computer generated. All in all I feel like they tried to jam way too much into 2 1/2 hours and the plot suffered for it.

Last edited by Mousebounce; 07-21-2008 at 08:17 PM..
Old 07-21-2008, 09:33 PM
Blaze of Posting

Quote:
Heath was amazing, but he didn't have the material to win an Oscar for this. If he was the main focus of the movie,
That's why he'd be up for "Best Supporting Actor"
As for cramming to much into the plot, I disagree. I think everything in the plot was their for a reason, and the Dent/Batman/Joker triangle is probably the most important element in the movie. To each their own though.
Old 07-22-2008, 02:20 AM
Rocket Queen
I'll Post When I'm Dead

Send a message via MSN to Mousebounce

Quote:
"Best Supporting Actor"
Possibly. Hey, I hope he wins due to what happened, but I couldn't see him winning if it wasn't for what happened. Hehe..if that make sense. There just wasn't enough for him in the movie to warrant it is all I am trying to say.

I love the Joker, and I feel like he could have carried this movie on his own without all of the added drama. I know why it was there, but I just think it could have been saved for a lesser villain.

Last edited by Mousebounce; 07-22-2008 at 02:30 AM..
Old 07-23-2008, 04:16 AM
Dry County

Quote:
Possibly. Hey, I hope he wins due to what happened, but I couldn't see him winning if it wasn't for what happened. Hehe..if that make sense. There just wasn't enough for him in the movie to warrant it is all I am trying to say.

I love the Joker, and I feel like he could have carried this movie on his own without all of the added drama. I know why it was there, but I just think it could have been saved for a lesser villain.
No, not for me, may he rest in peace, but even he was still alive he would still deserve an Oscar his perfromance was still amazing. Heath Ledger has created one of the greatest villians along the lines with Anthony Hopkins Hannibal Lector.

Old 07-23-2008, 10:26 PM
Jovi Addict

Send a message via MSN to LozLovesBonJovi

Going to see The Dark Knight next tuesday night!! Not the earliest i could see it, but never mind!! I'm gonna book tickets and see it!!!

The clouds are breaking, the sun is shining new
On Any Other Day
Maybe luck and love can pull us through
On Any Other Day
Old 07-24-2008, 10:08 PM
Lay your Posts on Me

Lived up to what I hoped for, great story, great action, Joker was amazing, quickest 2h30mins of my life.

City Of Manchester Stadium 4.6.2006, City of Manchester Stadium 22.6.2008, Bristol Ashton Gate Stadium 25.6.2008, O2 Arena 13.6.2010, Manchester L.C.C.C 24.6.2011, City of Manchester Stadium 8.6.2013

Tags
batman, the dark knight