Jovitalk - Bon Jovi Fan Community
Home Register Members FAQ Mark Forums Read

Hurricane Butterfly (unreleased song)

General BJ Discussion

Old 10-06-2018, 08:48 PM
These Days

Quote:
Originally Posted by semigoodlooking View Post
You're right obviously, but wasn't the fanclub set up by Jon's mother? I guess she set it up specifically for him and it just grew. Either way, there's no reason why the name could not have changed at some point.

And (I am thinking as I am writing), it's also his band so it is what it is. Bon Jovi has always been JBJ and co., even back in the 80s when we like to think they were a band of brothers. Jon has always pushed it was a band, but it is almost always been "Bon Jovi is a band... but".
IIRC, the story goes that it was originally started by the mothers of all 5 members of the band and was called the Bon Jovi fan club or "Jersey Syndicate" or something like that. Then at some point Jon's mother felt like the others weren't contributing information for the communications from the fan club, so she changed it to BSWJBJ.

I don't know when that happened; but I would suspect that it probably started changing sometime around KTF, or shortly thereafter. I didn't follow them in the back in the 80s, but just from interviews and shows, I think they really were more like a "band of brothers" and were closer to functioning as equals. Even if it was Jon's name on the contract, there still seemed to be a "gang" mentality when they recorded and toured NJ. But when things headed south as the NJ tour wound down, it seems like that dynamic started changing. Jon fired Doc and took over managing the band himself, and by the time they recorded KTF, it was all about Jon's vision; and he was clearly calling the shots. Or that's what Bob Rock said, anyway, about the difference he observed between the way they were when they did NJ vs what it was like when they recorded KTF. And I believe Jon supports that statement because, if I'm not mistaken, he is the one who said that after the sessions with Lou Cox they all agreed to follow his vision. I don't doubt that they all agreed; I'm just not sure that at that time, any of them - including Jon - realized how far into I-me-mine territory it was eventually going to go.

Others who were fans back then may see it differently, and could probably shed more light on the subject; but that's how it looks, in retrospect, from a spectator's seat.

Old 10-06-2018, 08:49 PM
Jovitalk Award Winner
I'll Post When I'm Dead

Send a message via AIM to Kathleen Send a message via MSN to Kathleen

My recollection - and I am referring to a post Becky made many years ago - is that the original club was set up by all the Mothers. When it got to the Blaze era or before KTF it looked as if the band would break up. Jon's Mom wanted it to continue and the other Moms didn't - so it became Backstage with JBJ.

You write your truth and I'll write mine.
Old 10-06-2018, 08:55 PM
Something for the Posts

That sounds familiar actually. I think I remember a pic from the early days of the club of all the mothers together maybe? It was definitely way before KTF when it changed though, definitely during Blaze era.
Old 10-06-2018, 08:59 PM
These Days

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thinny View Post
I believe that when the fan club was originally set up in the 80's it was called "Backstage with Bon Jovi" and around the time of Blaze it became "Backstage with Jon Bon Jovi". Around the same time Richie set up the "Strictly Sambora" fan club...
Interesting... I've never heard of Strictly Sambora. I'll have to look into that.

Blaze sounds right. The other mothers may have stopped contributing bc they thought the band was over anyway; and Mrs. B may have changed the name, thinking that Jon was going solo. That would make sense.

EDIT: Or what Kathleen said....

(I still think when they got back together it would have been better for the band's image if it had been changed back, but a lot of things had changed by that time, apparently.)

Last edited by JackieBlue; 10-06-2018 at 09:05 PM..
Old 10-06-2018, 09:12 PM
Something for the Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackieBlue View Post
Interesting... I've never heard of Strictly Sambora. I'll have to look into that.
It only ran for about 3 years from around 90 - 93 I believe. I was a member for all 3 years and still have it all. When I get the time I will dig it out and scan it all in and post it. I'm sure that some will find it interesting!
Old 10-06-2018, 09:33 PM
Wanted Dead or Alive

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackieBlue View Post
IIRC, the story goes that it was originally started by the mothers of all 5 members of the band and was called the Bon Jovi fan club or "Jersey Syndicate" or something like that. Then at some point Jon's mother felt like the others weren't contributing information for the communications from the fan club, so she changed it to BSWJBJ.

I don't know when that happened; but I would suspect that it probably started changing sometime around KTF, or shortly thereafter. I didn't follow them in the back in the 80s, but just from interviews and shows, I think they really were more like a "band of brothers" and were closer to functioning as equals. Even if it was Jon's name on the contract, there still seemed to be a "gang" mentality when they recorded and toured NJ. But when things headed south as the NJ tour wound down, it seems like that dynamic started changing. Jon fired Doc and took over managing the band himself, and by the time they recorded KTF, it was all about Jon's vision; and he was clearly calling the shots. Or that's what Bob Rock said, anyway, about the difference he observed between the way they were when they did NJ vs what it was like when they recorded KTF. And I believe Jon supports that statement because, if I'm not mistaken, he is the one who said that after the sessions with Lou Cox they all agreed to follow his vision. I don't doubt that they all agreed; I'm just not sure that at that time, any of them - including Jon - realized how far into I-me-mine territory it was eventually going to go.

Others who were fans back then may see it differently, and could probably shed more light on the subject; but that's how it looks, in retrospect, from a spectator's seat.
Thanks for clearing up the origins of the fan club.

As for how they were in the 80s, we may have to agree to disagree. They were a gang for sure, just as much as any five young guys grouped together would be. However, I think even on Access All Areas you could see it was Jon and the rest. Less than today and even the 90s yes, but my perception even of the 80s was that it was Jon's show.

Btw, I wholeheartedly dislike that, not least because Richie co-wrote many of the songs. How he was never included on any contract negotiations is beyond me. It should have been something like Jon 50%, Richie 40%, the rest of the guys 10% (play with those figures, but you get the point). Richie was so fundamental to Bon Jovi's sound and direction in the 80s and 90s.

As for Tico, David, Alec, and Hugh, they have always been hired hands in my opinion. When I was in university I worked construction and became almost best friends with my boss.... he was still my boss.
Old 10-06-2018, 10:19 PM
This Post Feels Right

Send a message via AIM to Captain_jovi Send a message via MSN to Captain_jovi

My friend's mom ran Strictly Sambora. Yeah, what I was told was the other mom's weren't able to contribute enough to the band's mom's fan club and it made sense to switch the name because she was cool putting in the time and had direct contact with Jon.
Old 10-06-2018, 10:42 PM
Wanted Dead or Alive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain_jovi View Post
My friend's mom ran Strictly Sambora. Yeah, what I was told was the other mom's weren't able to contribute enough to the band's mom's fan club and it made sense to switch the name because she was cool putting in the time and had direct contact with Jon.
Do you know why the other mothers could not contribute? Just a time thing?
Old 10-07-2018, 01:18 AM
Jovi Freak

Quote:
When I was in university I worked construction and became almost best friends with my boss.... he was still my boss.

That's why I always refused to have a boss -_-

1. Now Matt is the President of the Fan Club.
2. Admin is obviously not him.
3. Only God knows what questions "they" gonna pick to respond... hahah!
Old 10-07-2018, 04:24 AM
This Post Feels Right

Send a message via AIM to Captain_jovi Send a message via MSN to Captain_jovi

Quote:
Do you know why the other mothers could not contribute? Just a time thing?
I wish I could remember, sorry. I think it was a case of not being as available.