Jovitalk - Bon Jovi Fan Community
Home Register Members FAQ Mark Forums Read

Vocal coach

General BJ Discussion

Old 06-07-2018, 05:33 PM
Dry County

Default Vocal coach

Just watched episode 2 of the THINFS tour memory videos, and this woman, Mary Jo Duprey, came up with the title "Vocal coach". I found this on Facebook:

https://www.facebook.com/maryjodupreyvocals/

There's even a picture with Jon, and he obviously has mentioned her personally in his RRHOF induction speech, which I must have missed, but so be it...

That should put every discussion to whether or not he (still) has a vocal coach to rest

Old 06-07-2018, 06:32 PM
These Days

It can't be a great commercial for a vocal coach to have Jon represent your services.

I wonder if she was working with him before 2013. If that's the case, she should not have kept her job. It's one thing to not be able to sing like you used to in your 20s. It's another to suddenly and completely lose your voice in your early 50s.
Old 06-07-2018, 06:39 PM
Jovi FANatic

Send a message via ICQ to Johny

Jon should visit Ken Tamplin
https://www.youtube.com/user/kentamplin

He does wonders with singers. I've founf him thanks to our Pop Idol contestant Gabriela Guncikova (hired as Gabriela Gun for two TSO tours, chosen based on videos with Ken)
This is incredible:
"If you got a dream, no matter what anybody tells you, if you think that you’ve got to go for it, then you should go for it, because you’ve got one life. And the next time somebody tells you: ‘You can’t do that’ you can tell them to screw themselves, because it’s your life and you do what the hell you want with it. So this is a song about having a dream and chasing it, till you find the Bright Lights." - Aldo Nova.
Aldo Nova - Bright Lights
Old 06-07-2018, 07:00 PM
The One And Only Real Backstage Killer
I'll Post When I'm Dead

Send a message via MSN to Supersonic

Aloha !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walleris View Post
It can't be a great commercial for a vocal coach to have Jon represent your services.

I wonder if she was working with him before 2013. If that's the case, she should not have kept her job. It's one thing to not be able to sing like you used to in your 20s. It's another to suddenly and completely lose your voice in your early 50s.
She was taught by Katie Agresta, who brought Jon's voice back from the dead after the Slippery and New Jersey tours. Jon sings the way he does on Keep The Faith because of her. I don't think she's a bad teacher, I think she's really working with what she's able to work with. You can teach a student all he needs but if he abuses his instrument it's a waste of time, really.

Salaam Aleikum,
Sebastiaan
Old 06-07-2018, 07:00 PM
Dry County

Quote:

I agree. Well, she does thank her "sister" Katie Agresta for teaching her everything she knows, so maybe Jon went from Katie to using her services at some point. When would be a good question, as well as what exactly led to his condition and what exactly that it
Old 06-07-2018, 07:55 PM
This Post Feels Right

Send a message via AIM to Captain_jovi Send a message via MSN to Captain_jovi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supersonic View Post
Aloha !

She was taught by Katie Agresta, who brought Jon's voice back from the dead after the Slippery and New Jersey tours. Jon sings the way he does on Keep The Faith because of her. I don't think she's a bad teacher, I think she's really working with what she's able to work with. You can teach a student all he needs but if he abuses his instrument it's a waste of time, really.

Salaam Aleikum,
Sebastiaan
THIS. It's naive and short sighted to think that she should be fired because she couldn't repair Jon.
Old 06-07-2018, 08:26 PM
Jovi Freak

I think she was brought especially for the THINFS tour; she was front of me in Rock in Rio 2017, and everytime JBJ sang something good, she was happy clapping with a big smile on her face (no more happy than me >_< but anyway); she also works A LOT with Everett’s voice...
Old 06-08-2018, 05:59 AM
These Days

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain_jovi View Post
THIS. It's naive and short sighted to think that she should be fired because she couldn't repair Jon.
That's not what I said. I said she should be fired if she was working with Jon when he was still decent and didn't stop the decline. I can't imagine Jon paying her to go on tour with her and then ignoring her advice. However, that doesn't seem the case if what Yovana's saying is true and it usually is. She was probably brought in way too late.
Old 06-08-2018, 07:21 AM
Jovi Freak

Quote:
However, that doesn't seem the case if what Yovana's saying is true and it usually is.
Hmmmm...

Quote:
Originally Posted by YOVANAfromPeru View Post
she was front of me in Rock in Rio 2017, and everytime JBJ sang something good, she was happy clapping with a big smile on her face (no more happy than me >_< but anyway)
This time I have some proof >_<
The woman clapping at the end is her https://www.instagram.com/p/BbFw86Yn9TB/
and her feet here https://www.instagram.com/p/BbDabSmHn9b/

...ignore completely my yeah's/screams in Keep The Faith >_< jajaj
Old 06-08-2018, 07:52 AM
The One And Only Real Backstage Killer
I'll Post When I'm Dead

Send a message via MSN to Supersonic

Aloha !

Quote:
That's not what I said. I said she should be fired if she was working with Jon when he was still decent and didn't stop the decline. I can't imagine Jon paying her to go on tour with her and then ignoring her advice.
Do you think a mechanic should be fired for fixing a car that's breaking down because the driver abuses it?I can. Jon's always booked more shows than his voice is capable of. Just because it's no longer 7 shows a week doesn't mean he's able to deal with this instead.

Salaam Aleikum,
Sebastiaan