Home Register Members FAQ Mark Forums Read

Bon Jovi 2020 tour with Bryan Adams - Cancelled

Tour Discussion

Old 01-15-2020, 08:56 PM
The Distance

Quote:
Originally Posted by BJFan99 View Post
https://youtu.be/BcxLrLf5e3w

Oh yeah, what a terrible frontman... especially near the end, he doesn't have any qualities needed for any type of a stage performer left at all, he's absolutely horrible...

Am I exaggerating on purpose? Yes. Bottom line is, sometimes it really feels like that for some of you, Jon can't do anything anymore. When he's not moving, people are complaining that him being static only highlights his poor vocals when there's nothing else to focus on. When he's moving, he's supposedly no longer a great frontman (and that was just Seb's opinion, but then again he seems to care only about Jon's vocals and when he can't sing, he basically can't do anything else either and him moving around is suddenly just a cover-up to take the crowd's attention away from his voice - which is probably true to an extent, but let's indeed remember that he's been doing this for a long time and moving around, the different types of interaction with fans, etc. is not only what's expected from him, but by now all of this has basically become second nature for him.

In addition to him not having been able to sing for years now anyway, I was very disappointed with him as a frontman on the 2017 North American tour as well as during the two shows in Japan 2018, where he indeed was glued to the mic for (more than) half the time. That said, he seemed to flip some switch by the time they hit Brisbane and Sydney during the Australian tour following it and was suddenly very active on stage again. The sudden increase of energy continued on and on during the European tour and Jon's regained frontmanship made the Nijmegen, Dublin night #2, Düsseldorf and Rio shows last year very enjoyable in comparison to most late 2013-2018 shows. Of course his vocals were still awful, but him working the crowds like crazy and pouring every bit of energy into his performances he could manage made a huge difference. That's something I won't deny, no matter which kinds of contradictions I'll get from this post.
Lol you are so wrong it’s funny. I wish I could get my money back from last years tour. Jon can’t sing anymore and the whole performance and experience is suffering from it.

Old 01-15-2020, 09:00 PM
Keep the Faith

Even with a guitar around his neck Bryan moves around a lot more than Jon does without guitar. Nowadays there's no aspect where Jon is a better frontman.
And it doesn't matter if Bryan is allowed to use lights or videos. He would even kick Jon's ass by playing acoustic without PA in the afternoon sun.

I like the combo. If they tour Europe together as well (what I don't think will happen) I might consider buying a ticket for a Bon Jovi show for the first time since 2013.
Old 01-15-2020, 09:33 PM
Dry County

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thierry View Post
Lol you are so wrong it’s funny. I wish I could get my money back from last years tour. Jon can’t sing anymore and the whole performance and experience is suffering from it.
I remember you saying that you had a great time in Nijmegen and on Dublin night #2, but didn't like the two other shows. Have you changed your opinion about the two good gigs as well since then?

Last edited by BJFan99; 01-15-2020 at 09:37 PM..
Old 01-15-2020, 09:42 PM
The Distance

Quote:
I remember you saying that you had a great time in Nijmegen and on Dublin night #2, but didn't like the two other shows. Have you changed your opinion about the two good gigs as well since then?
I did actually. I was at both shows with good company. After listening to my recordings of both shows it was obvious that the shows were terrible. Can you point me to a website where I can ask for a refund please?
Old 01-15-2020, 10:00 PM
Posting everyday

Quote:
I did actually. I was at both shows with good company. After listening to my recordings of both shows it was obvious that the shows were terrible. Can you point me to a website where I can ask for a refund please?
If you find one, let me know I had a good time in Munich as well due to nice company, but not due to the show.

And I think it's funny how easy people are pleased by now. I mean, if I go to a show of a band/singer I like and I'm not a diehard of, I'd at least want it to sound remotely like the recordings that made me go there. Imagine someone like Richie being there, waving to the crowd at every song and running from side to side for each solo, but failing on each one of them and being out of key while playing those. People would jump all over him.

It's like going to a comedian who runs around the stage but fails to deliver the punchlines or going to a restaurant where the chef shows all kind of tricks and is funny, but the food tastes poorly. How many would go there?
Old 01-15-2020, 10:05 PM
Dry County

Quote:
This actually seems to be the case on quite many bands and artists. You see a show and at the moment you think it's fantastic, but afterwards you see some youtube video and notice flaws that you either didn't pick up or they didn't stick out as majorly in the live situation.

However, I also recall you saying pretty soon after the shows that even in person you could hear all the bum notes from Jon. If you really did and enjoyed the shows nonetheless, with good company or not (and not even good company AND being drunk could save me from cringing at Jon's vocals in Tallinn at the actual show), what was so shocking about the recordings then? It wasn't like you were expecting the vocals to be any better on them either, right?

Last edited by BJFan99; 01-15-2020 at 10:11 PM..
Old 01-15-2020, 10:17 PM
Posting everyday

Quote:
This actually seems to be the case on quite many bands and artists. You see a show and at the moment you think it's fantastic, but afterwards you see some youtube video and notice flaws that you either didn't pick up or they didn't stick out as majorly in the live situation.

However, I also recall you saying pretty soon after the shows that even in person you could hear all the bum notes from Jon. If you really did and enjoyed the shows nonetheless, with good company or not (and not even good company AND being drunk could save me from cringing at Jon's vocals in Tallinn at the actual show), what was so shocking about the recordings then? It wasn't like you were expecting the vocals to be any better on them either, right?
I think it's more to the fact that you've been jumping between the extremes for years now - from trashing Jon because of his singing to praising him again despite his singing and trashing those who stated just that.
What's the definition of a great singer for you? Being an athlete on stage or being a good singer? Case in point: In Saratoga 2010, Jon was sitting on a stool for pretty much the entire show, yet it was a stunning show, very intense and far better than probably all of the last 5 years.
Old 01-15-2020, 11:34 PM
Jovi FANatic

Send a message via ICQ to Johny

Quote:
I’m in New York in April and I don’t give a crap that I’m missing this.
You've probably been there a few time, haven't you? It's my first time plus I can't afford to visit the USA very often. I'm doing the trip now because I'm single and can use the extra money and personal free time. So I'm pissed that exactly one day after I buy plane tickets, they announce the tour. I'd love to go for the sake of seeing my favourite band in a legendary place like MSG.
On the other hand, I doubt that I'd fly there just because of the concert. I see Bryan Adams on regular basis because he is crazy and tour every year and often visits my country. I'D probably consider it if I knew it was any kind of reunion tour with Richie.

As I said last year about having Def Leppard opening for Bon Jovi, it's kinda sad that the opening act is miles better. This is a huge step down for Bon Jovi, pairing with an 1980s fella and doing only arenas. I'm curious about the prices. As everyting has gone much higher since last year, I can imagine it can be quite crazy.
"If you got a dream, no matter what anybody tells you, if you think that you’ve got to go for it, then you should go for it, because you’ve got one life. And the next time somebody tells you: ‘You can’t do that’ you can tell them to screw themselves, because it’s your life and you do what the hell you want with it. So this is a song about having a dream and chasing it, till you find the Bright Lights." - Aldo Nova.
Aldo Nova - Bright Lights
Old 01-16-2020, 02:03 AM
Dry County

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supersonic View Post
Aloha !

Are you annoying? Yes.

Your endless list of youTube links constantly prove my point. For every bum note he hits, he's throwing a smile. For every bum note he hits, he's waving his arm. He's painfully aware of all his shortcomings a vocalist and tries to make it up by endless arm-waving and what-not. His insecurity is painful to look at as he overcompensates while nothing comes naturally anymore. If you honestly, after the shitloads of youTube videos you've watched and posted, can't see the difference between Jon working the stage while singing compared to Jon working the stage to hide how he can't sing anymore there's really no saving.

A good frontman fronts a band and commands the stage while doing his job. That doesn't define Jon Bon Jovi anymore and anyone who says differently has to take a reality check and go watch other frontmen who move around a lot less but still draw all attention to them anyway because they're doing the 1 thing they're supposed to do just right; sing. Everyone who's saying Jon Bon Jovi is still a great frontman is essentially saying it's great to have a goalgetter who can't score a goal but at least entertains the audience by the utterly useless tricks he can pull off.

Salaam Aleikum,
Sebastiaan

I agree with this 100%. He’s so aware and insecure due to his horrible vocals that every interaction, smile or whatever he does up there seem forced and very unnatural.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 01-16-2020, 09:56 AM
Keep the Faith

I remember what Bryan said in the 90s. He Loves the Bon Jovi Band but he cant stand their Singer. someone remembers this interview ? But i understand B.A. choise to open for BJ. He isn´t a big ticket seller anymore. he can sell 5 to 10 thousand tix maybe, in europe a Little more. but he Needs this possibility to step back in peoples minds. His voice has grown old in really good shape, just like Steven tylers. this is pure talend.

http://www.youtube.com/user/JoergVeselka
BON JOVI 19.06 / 20.06.2010 LONDON O2 ARENA = I´M THERE

Last edited by WILDJOVIMAN; 01-16-2020 at 10:02 AM..