Tour Discussion

Old 01-19-2020, 08:31 AM
The One And Only Real Backstage Killer
I'll Post When I'm Dead

Send a message via MSN to Supersonic

Aloha !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xavi View Post
At my last December BA show he played "Ill Always Be Right There" and "The Best Of Me" ,songs that havent been played a lot on the last tours.
I get what you mean,its a request set,but the majority of the songs he played there are over played on the previous tours,and rehearsed,but ,sometimes you get a surprise that with Bon Jovi,since 2011,its impossible to get.
Since Richies departure,those kind of things are over in Bon Jovi.
Oh, I agree with how Bryan Adams' setlists are now more diverse than your average Bon Jovi show. If he's smart he'll incorporate one of these fake requests in his support slot. Most people in attendance won't have a clue his requests are nonsense and it's easy to win over a crowd like that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thinny View Post
Frankly, I disagree. But we are all entitled to our opinions.

I'm not sure when or how playing like the album, or being rehearsed became a bad thing?
It's not necessarily a bad thing but it doesn't make you anything special either. Keith Scott is reliable but he's reliable exactly because he's only capable of playing a song the way he's recorded it and constantly does so. There's no spontanety in his solo's and if you constantly play something the same way you'll eventually lose the feel of it as well.

Your example of Touch The Hand shows this quite well. Most of the licks he does are easy and constant repeats, there's an endless list of bum notes in that solo and once he does something impressive he always follows it up with the same long note, incapable of constructing one thing to the other. His timing is just so off during his improvisations it makes it hard to listen to once you notice it. I'm not saying he's a sloppy hack but he's hardly memorable or underrated either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain_jovi View Post
Bobby was called the human jukebox for a reason. There were some rarer songs on I THINK it was The Circle tour where Bobby was the one playing instead of Richie (Santa Fe comes to mind). I think now it's even more work having Everett, Shanks and Phil learn a new song to throw in. That and Jon's voice.
Going by what Bobby Bandiera's played when he was in Bon Jovi he's as much of a human jukebox as your average fan playing guitar in his bedroom. It's not Bandiera leaving what's caused this band to stop playing different sets, it's because Jon has to relearn how to sing every song and he refuses to do so as the current 20 are enough of a struggle already. I've no idea why people think it's that hard for a musician to learn how to play a song, especially when it's a Bon Jovi song. Bobby wasn't playing Santa Fe because Richie couldn't, Bobby was playing because Richie couldn't be arsed.

Salaam Aleikum,
Sebastiaan

Last edited by Supersonic; 01-19-2020 at 08:40 AM..

Old 01-19-2020, 12:13 PM
Something for the Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supersonic View Post
It's not necessarily a bad thing but it doesn't make you anything special either. Keith Scott is reliable but he's reliable exactly because he's only capable of playing a song the way he's recorded it and constantly does so. There's no spontanety in his solo's and if you constantly play something the same way you'll eventually lose the feel of it as well.

Your example of Touch The Hand shows this quite well. Most of the licks he does are easy and constant repeats, there's an endless list of bum notes in that solo and once he does something impressive he always follows it up with the same long note, incapable of constructing one thing to the other. His timing is just so off during his improvisations it makes it hard to listen to once you notice it. I'm not saying he's a sloppy hack but he's hardly memorable or underrated either.
Can't really add much to what I've already said. I've always enjoyed his playing and that's enough for me. I've never really been into technically accurate players, as most seem to lack the relevant emotion and feeling in their playing. Phil X playing Richie's stuff is a prime example of that. I'd much rather hear Richie doing it and hitting the occasional bum note, because it feels like he really means it....

Last edited by Thinny; 01-19-2020 at 12:21 PM..
Old 01-19-2020, 07:39 PM
Dry County

Send a message via MSN to LeaJovi

Oh Jon.. bad move man.

At least people will get something enjoyable out of the shows.
Old 01-19-2020, 08:48 PM
Dry County

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thinny View Post
Can't really add much to what I've already said. I've always enjoyed his playing and that's enough for me. I've never really been into technically accurate players, as most seem to lack the relevant emotion and feeling in their playing. Phil X playing Richie's stuff is a prime example of that. I'd much rather hear Richie doing it and hitting the occasional bum note, because it feels like he really means it....

I agree. And also, with some exceptions here and there, most of the Bon Jovi catalogue is very easy to play. Phil has been in Joviland for almost 10 years now and he still isn’t capable of nailing most of the solos.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 01-20-2020, 11:49 PM
Wanted Dead or Alive

I am not much of a fan of Bryan Adams outside some songs. I have seen him on his last two tours with my wife (the fan) and he was excellent. Like others have said, he takes genuine song requests on the spot (I think its 2 songs though, not 4), although seemingly fake. And he does a few pure acoustic songs. Both of these things are completely impossible for Jon.

Edit to remove a question that was answered elsewhere.

His voice is strong and most importantly for me, he actually looks like he wants to be there.

Luckily for Jon, it won't really matter because 80% of the concert going crowd seem to have no idea how terrible Jon is. Still, Bryan Adams is in excellent shape and with his band on stage it is like what we all wished Bon Jovi was but hasn't been for at least a decade.

I bet having Bryan Adams supporting is really stroking Jon's ego though.

Last edited by semigoodlooking; 01-20-2020 at 11:55 PM..
Old 01-21-2020, 05:47 PM
Hardest Part is the Night

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faceman View Post
Even with a guitar around his neck Bryan moves around a lot more than Jon does without guitar. Nowadays there's no aspect where Jon is a better frontman.
And it doesn't matter if Bryan is allowed to use lights or videos. He would even kick Jon's ass by playing acoustic without PA in the afternoon sun.

I like the combo. If they tour Europe together as well (what I don't think will happen) I might consider buying a ticket for a Bon Jovi show for the first time since 2013.
Moving around is not the only way to judge a frontman. Joe Eliott moves a lot but he's nowhere near as great a frontman as Jon, especially when they play back to back as they did in Europe last year.
Old 01-21-2020, 08:46 PM
Posting everyday

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roll View Post
Moving around is not the only way to judge a frontman. Joe Eliott moves a lot but he's nowhere near as great a frontman as Jon, especially when they play back to back as they did in Europe last year.
That's not what had been said. It's not necessary, but it's great on top of singing like in Bryan Adam's case who sounds good and moves around a lot. It's not a replacement for the unability of singing decent though - Jon moving around, but not being able to sing in key/time is what doesn't cut it for most of us (except BJFan99).
Old 01-21-2020, 08:56 PM
Price of posting

Jon forget or never understood. We didn't need perfection, just the real thing.
Old 01-21-2020, 11:39 PM
Dry County

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonjovi90 View Post
That's not what had been said. It's not necessary, but it's great on top of singing like in Bryan Adam's case who sounds good and moves around a lot. It's not a replacement for the unability of singing decent though - Jon moving around, but not being able to sing in key/time is what doesn't cut it for most of us (except BJFan99).
Trust me, I'm very bothered about Jon's vocals and cringe very often when listening to his recent live stuff. However, him still being a great and charismatic performer on the other aspects takes just a little bit of the pain away and makes it easier to enjoy the odd performance here and there (Bad Medicine in Philly, Saturday Night and These Days in Sao Paulo, and IBTFY in Nijmegen - I think it was - are examples of this from the last tour).

It's not about me getting insanely excited when he simply runs and jumps around on stage, it's about the connection between him and the audience as well as the experience of a concert bringing us and the band "together", which largely makes or breaks a show for BJ nowadays. Even something like Dublin night #2 last year, probably one of the best gigs of the last 5-6 years and one where I actually think Jon *almost* nailed a few songs, is largely painful to simply listen to, but when you actually see Jon work his ass off and put on a kickass energetic show with the audience in the palm of his hands, no matter how horrendous he may sound (and he does, there's no denying it), that's when I feel the most at ease and get the most enjoyment out of the current Bon Jovi as a live band.

Last edited by BJFan99; 01-21-2020 at 11:42 PM..
Old 01-22-2020, 12:24 AM
These Days

Quote:
Originally Posted by rolo_tomachi View Post
...just the real thing.
I'd settle for that...