Jovitalk - Bon Jovi Fan Community
Home Register Members FAQ Mark Forums Read

Bon jovi mentioned on a the darkness review at amazon

General BJ Discussion

Old 07-21-2003, 03:15 AM
These Days

Send a message via ICQ to joviscout Send a message via MSN to joviscout
Default Bon jovi mentioned on a the darkness review at amazon

The Darkness's Permission to Land is an entertaining and unabashed return to the pomp-rock of a bygone age, when mullet-clad dinosaurs travelled the stadiums of the world--back before Nirvana and their lank-haired ilk swept the world in an unstoppable tide of flannel shirts and overwrought earnestness. So, while their peers were drawing inspiration from the Pixies, Sonic Youth and the Stone Roses, the four guys in the Darkness were busy studying their Queen and Def Leppard albums and learning how to rock.
It's this unapologetic rock & roll spirit that makes Permission to Land a stand-out debut album (well, for 2003 at least--sometimes, you've gotta look back in order to move forward). There's no bedsit electronica, acoustic surrealism or garage rock to be found here; instead, this is music as pure entertainment, best suited to a wall of Marshall amps, guitars tuned up to 11 and a pyrotechnic display visible from orbit. Singles "I Believe in a Thing Called Love", "Growing on Me" and "Get Your Hands off My Woman" are all typical of what's on offer here: huge guitar riffs, crashing drums and the over-the-top falsetto vocals of singer Justin Hawkins. But they're not the only standouts here: "Black Shuck", "Givin' Up" and "Love on the Rocks (with No Ice)" are all anthemic fist-raisers, packed with sing-along choruses and guitarist Dan Hawkins' ultra-infectious hooks. Original? No. Ironic? Maybe. Fun? Oh yes. A lesser band would have approached the spandex-clad rock of Permission to Land with tongues firmly in cheek, and it's to the Darkness's eternal credit that they manage to inject the whole thing with enough sincerity to carry it off. And why shouldn't they? After all, Bon Jovi always looked like they were having a heck of a lot more fun than Nirvana anyway. --Robert Burrow

Old 07-21-2003, 03:19 AM
These Days

And on another web site
The band's strong point is the fact that they write great bridges. In the 80's it seemed the bridge was often the most important part of the song ("Livin On A Prayer's" 'we've got to hold on...etc being a prime example) but lately they seem to have all but disappeared from bands' vocabulary. "Growing On Me" and "I Believe In A Thing Called Love" are blessed with two absolute gems that rival the choruses themselves. The former is probably Justin Hawkins' most accomplished vocal performance on the album. He keeps the wailing to a minimum, therefore giving it greater emphasis when it is utilised and letting us hear just what a fine rock voice he possesses. It's a damn fine tune and one that will be on pub jukeboxes for many years to come I'm sure. "I Believe..."is a good old-fashioned rock love song (My heart's in overdrive and you're behind the steering wheel) and is followed by the sublime "Love Is Only A Feeling". Complete with mandolins this is almost Boston esque, a pure classic rock track.
Old 07-21-2003, 05:29 AM
PLAY KING OF THE MOUNTAIN...
I Don't Want To Post Forever

Old 07-21-2003, 05:50 AM
I Wanna Rock
Jovi Freak

Send a message via MSN to {_Warrior_}

Well, prayer is prayer
Old 07-21-2003, 10:05 AM
I Don't Want To Post Forever

Send a message via MSN to allmike Send a message via Yahoo to allmike

Quote:
Bon Jovi always looked like they were having a heck of a lot more fun than Nirvana anyway
That is true.
The Christmas tree, I wish I was the star that went on top
I wish I was the evidence, I wish I was the grounds
For 50 million hands upraised and open toward the sky
Old 07-21-2003, 10:30 AM
Posting Always

cool! - I see big things happening for The Darkness. Just ordered their album and it was number one last week on the Virgin HMV chart.
Old 07-21-2003, 05:19 PM
These Days

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna
cool! - I see big things happening for The Darkness. Just ordered their album and it was number one last week on the Virgin HMV chart.
I ordered there album it came this morning. Its really good :P
Old 07-21-2003, 05:58 PM
Lay your Posts on Me

Send a message via MSN to slippery86

the darkness are funny and really tongue-in-cheek and old-school rock style. i read a review of their album in "the fly" and it said something like, "the word 'subtlety' does no appear in the darkness's big book of rock. choruses arrive on continent-sized spaceships and guitar solos are widdled mercilessly from mountain tops. this album bashes you round the head with a les paul, gets you ripped to the tits on jack 'n' coke, and drags you down to a poison reunion gig on a harley-davidson." it also said theyre very much influenced by old-school and 80s rock/metal. im thinking of getting their album, it sounds good.

7800 ºF 2
Old 07-21-2003, 06:05 PM
Posting Always

Quote:
Originally Posted by slippery86
the darkness are funny and really tongue-in-cheek and old-school rock style. i read a review of their album in "the fly" and it said something like, "the word 'subtlety' does no appear in the darkness's big book of rock. choruses arrive on continent-sized spaceships and guitar solos are widdled mercilessly from mountain tops. this album bashes you round the head with a les paul, gets you ripped to the tits on jack 'n' coke, and drags you down to a poison reunion gig on a harley-davidson." it also said theyre very much influenced by old-school and 80s rock/metal. im thinking of getting their album, it sounds good.
Woohoo! sounds just great!!
Old 07-21-2003, 06:27 PM
These Days

Quote:
Originally Posted by slippery86
Thats about right its a awsome album and the definitly aint subtle lol. Very very 80's rock n roll :P