Jovitalk - Bon Jovi Fan Community
Home Register Members FAQ Mark Forums Read

Why can’t Bon Jovi release decent live material ?

General BJ Discussion

Old 06-01-2022, 11:57 PM
Dry County

Default Why can’t Bon Jovi release decent live material ?

I was thinking about this lately … why can’t the Bon Jovi camp release some decent live material ?

The Crush Tour and London DVD’s are watchable, but the MSG DVD is so lame. Jon was in fantastic shape in Europe, yet they decided to film the MSG concerts where his vocals were much worse than in Europe, and the edition is abysmal. The transition from BTBMB into BOG is just horrendous. And when it comes to the sound mix, the Hyde Park 2011 broadcast is much more enjoyable to listen to. The tracks from the O2 run that Obie posted on their YT page seemed to have been recorded by amateurs …

I really miss a live show release. OWN has some nice tracks but there’s nothing that connects to nothing. They planned a live release for Yokohama 2003 but Jon was in terrible shape vocally.

Is it so hard to put out something nice ? They have tons and tons of material filmed/recorded …

Cheers

Eduardo

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old 06-02-2022, 12:11 AM
This Post Feels Right

Send a message via AIM to Captain_jovi Send a message via MSN to Captain_jovi

I think it boils down to how it was prepared. I can't knock em for the O2 sounding bad, those are clearly just the camera feeds and less processed audio. It gave us a gorgeous version of Letting You Go. I don't know if I'd think of it as amateur but it's not like it was recorded to be shared on a mass scale.

It sucks that this is all done so far in advance. To hire a company to film, edit, mix and master for a DVD Release isn't as easy as just doing on a whim. It made all the sense in the world to do it in a venue like MSG, just a huge shame Jon's voice nosedived the way it did.

The edit of MSG was completely in their control, sucks that they botched it but looking at what we got was great. Living in Sin? Dry County? Blood on Blood all pro shot on a major DVD was nice. It's not a terrible show but yeah, a Europe crowd will go more crazy than a US one.
Old 06-02-2022, 04:37 PM
Wanted Dead or Alive

For a 40-year rock band that was known for its live show and did more concerts than most of its peers, Bon Jovi has an embarrassing lack of official live material available. This is a band that boasts on the 4,000+ concerts in 50 countries to 35 million people stats, so to have the official live output they have is laughable.
Old 06-02-2022, 09:47 PM
Dry County

Quote:
Originally Posted by semigoodlooking View Post
For a 40-year rock band that was known for its live show and did more concerts than most of its peers, Bon Jovi has an embarrassing lack of official live material available. This is a band that boasts on the 4,000+ concerts in 50 countries to 35 million people stats, so to have the official live output they have is laughable.

This.

I reckon it must be tough on Jon to look back into past material considering how he sounds now, but even when he sounded good they sucked at releasing live material …

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 06-02-2022, 10:37 PM
Jovi FANatic

jon was always the guy to look forward but there should be a balance...
he can keep writing and releasing new material while honoring the past with nice releases...
the built their fame through live shows and their live releases are poor, wembley excluded..
he must come to peace that their prime has passed, richies shoes will never trully be filled and he should release some material from the past that does them justice...
they were one of the best rock n roll bands ever.. its not too late, there is the technology to release material in good quality from almost every tour..
Old 06-02-2022, 10:41 PM
This Post Feels Right

Send a message via AIM to Captain_jovi Send a message via MSN to Captain_jovi

I dont think this is quality/Richie issue so much as its.....they didnt do it when they were on top of the world, why do it now when they're on the bottom. Why spend money NOW promoting a release showing how bad he sounds. He missed the boat after every successful album and did it to himself.

Unless it's as a retrospective release. Which is possible but would enough people care?
Old 06-09-2022, 01:56 PM
Livin' on a Post

Glad they did release bunch of live songs (Slippery / New Jersey / Keep The Faith tours!) late 80s / early 90s as b-sides for cd-singles.