Jovitalk - Bon Jovi Fan Community
Home Register Members FAQ

Hysteria (Deluxe Edition)

Other Bands

Old 05-16-2009, 08:46 PM
Livin' on a Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleeding Purist View Post
Actually, that is incorrect. The band is fully aware of what Adrenalize did to their longterm validity. To say they look back on Adrenalize fondly is a stretch. They recognize the damage the album did in that respect, fully understand how that album hurt Slang and their future, but that there is really nothing they can do about it. Adrenalize is the album that locked them into the 80s hair band genre. Hysteria was groundbreaking and fresh when it was released. People forget that. By the time Adrenalize came out, the Hysteria sound had been copied to death and run into the ground by inferior bands. Adrenalize furthered this and parodied the band.

Their fans, quite frankly, are idiots stuck in the 80s. The majority have made the band their personal nostalgia trip so they can pretend they are still in high school. They blast Hysteria in the parking lot as if it were 1987 and respond to new songs played with "BOO! PLAY POUR SOME SUGAR ON ME!" This is not the hardcore fan base. Their popularity in the 80s earned them a lot of casual fans vs hardcore fans that stay with them. That kind of fanbase kills a band by preventing them from having any success beyond two or three core albums from a certain time period, no matter the caliber of material that follows. Manraze, Phil's side project is a direct response to all of the above. Look around and you'll find him addressing all of the exact points I listed in agreement.

Where the band is now is at acceptance with where they have landed, since they can't change history. Any of us would do the same in their shoes. Their hardcore fan base is simply not large enough to sustain their forward creative output on albums and tours. That is why we are stuck with setlists/shows that are dominated by songs from two albums rather than a balanced set from throughout their career.
I don't think any Def Leppard fan wanted back then an alternative-influenced record like Slang. Adrenalize was not as good as Hysteria, but still really good. This record was more respected than Keep the Faith, in the US. Until Retro Active, they were still doing well in the US, but they released the shitty Slang and they lost it.

"Their fans, quite frankly, are idiots stuck in the 80s."

Right. Just like the Bon Jovi fanbase. I know a lot of Bon Jovi fans, including myself, who still buy all their latest releases but still prefer the Glam records. Bon Jovi will be always remembered for Livin' on a Prayer, big hair and pink spandex.

Old 05-16-2009, 09:54 PM
The One And Only Real Backstage Killer
I'll Post When I'm Dead

Send a message via MSN to Supersonic

Aloha !

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKKDARK View Post
"Their fans, quite frankly, are idiots stuck in the 80s."

Right. Just like the Bon Jovi fanbase. I know a lot of Bon Jovi fans, including myself, who still buy all their latest releases but still prefer the Glam records. Bon Jovi will be always remembered for Livin' on a Prayer, big hair and pink spandex.
The only thing you're right about is that you're the idiot who's stuck in the 80s. Bon Jovi will not be remembered for Prayer only, MTV Europe started in 1987, which was after the successes of the hits from Slippery, meaning that not that many people from Europe actually knew what Jon and co. looked like during that era.

Bon Jovi's popularity started to grow with the KTF records. Not the with 80's material. In Europe, the 90's material outdoes the 80's material, both when it comes to hits and when it comes to sales.

http://www.drycounty.com/jovitalk/se...searchid=59651

Seriously, how many more times will you use the word spandex? You're seriously obsessed by the way Jon looked.

Salaam Aleikum,
Sebastiaan
Old 05-16-2009, 10:32 PM
Blaze of Posting

I know this is a Def Leppard thread, I apologize.

I might sound thick, but remember I'm young. When the hell did Jon wear pink spandex?

On topic - is Def's latest album good? I want to get into them and my brother has it already, so I was wondering if I should listen to that or one of the earlier, ore popular albums?
Old 05-16-2009, 11:37 PM
Livin' on a Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supersonic View Post
Aloha !

The only thing you're right about is that you're the idiot who's stuck in the 80s. Bon Jovi will not be remembered for Prayer only, MTV Europe started in 1987, which was after the successes of the hits from Slippery, meaning that not that many people from Europe actually knew what Jon and co. looked like during that era.

Bon Jovi's popularity started to grow with the KTF records. Not the with 80's material. In Europe, the 90's material outdoes the 80's material, both when it comes to hits and when it comes to sales.

http://www.drycounty.com/jovitalk/se...searchid=59651

Seriously, how many more times will you use the word spandex? You're seriously obsessed by the way Jon looked.

Salaam Aleikum,
Sebastiaan
New Jersey tour was a success worldwide, even bigger than the Keep the Faith tour. Bon Jovi was well known worldwide by late 80s.
And what can you tell me about KTF only going Platinum in the UK but NJ/SWW going multi-platinum there?

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeepTheFaith2211 View Post

I might sound thick, but remember I'm young. When the hell did Jon wear pink spandex?

On topic - is Def's latest album good? I want to get into them and my brother has it already, so I was wondering if I should listen to that or one of the earlier, ore popular albums?
Dude, I can't believe you never watched the Runaway music video...

About Def Leppard, don't waste your money with the last album. Any album until Retro Active is just fine. Later material is mediocre.
Old 05-16-2009, 11:42 PM
Blaze of Posting

Quote:
New Jersey tour was a success worldwide, even bigger than the Keep the Faith tour. Bon Jovi was well known worldwide by late 80s.
And what can you tell me about KTF only going Platinum in the UK but NJ/SWW going multi-platinum there?

Dude, I can't believe you never watched the Runaway music video...

About Def Leppard, don't waste your money with the last album. Any album until Retro Active is just fine. Later material is mediocre.
That's why, I don't really care for music videos...
Old 05-16-2009, 11:49 PM
Midnight on JoviTalk

David - personally their early albums High N' Dry and Pyromania are their greatest albums, very AC/DC and raw and good rock and roll.

Hysteria is their Slippery When Wet, most popular and spawned their hits 'Animal', 'Pour Some Sugar On Me', 'Hysteria' and more.

Try their 2004 Best Of, got all the hits on it and I'm sure you'll enjoy it, it doesn't contain any of their early stuff I love (except for a couple songs 'Photograph' and 'Rock Of Ages') but still a good compilation.

Hope that helps.

Oh and for the record, I really like Songs From The Sparkle Lounge.
Old 05-16-2009, 11:56 PM
Blaze of Posting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldsausage View Post
David - personally their early albums High N' Dry and Pyromania are their greatest albums, very AC/DC and raw and good rock and roll.

Hysteria is their Slippery When Wet, most popular and spawned their hits 'Animal', 'Pour Some Sugar On Me', 'Hysteria' and more.

Try their 2004 Best Of, got all the hits on it and I'm sure you'll enjoy it, it doesn't contain any of their early stuff I love (except for a couple songs 'Photograph' and 'Rock Of Ages') but still a good compilation.

Hope that helps.

Oh and for the record, I really like Songs From The Sparkle Lounge.
Thanks a lot Oli. I'll ask my brother if he can bring his CD's round next week.
Old 05-17-2009, 12:50 AM
The Voice of Reason
Destination any Forum

Quote:

That is completely your opinion and very subjective. Many of their hardcore fans regard Slang as their best album, period. There is nothing wrong with Euphoria.....it's one of their best albums with top caliber material from start to finish.
Old 05-17-2009, 12:57 AM
The Voice of Reason
Destination any Forum

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeepTheFaith2211 View Post

I'd recommend Pyromania. It's one of those must-haves. The Best Of is just the singles and not neccessarily representative of their best work unless you get the one with the 2nd disc which offers up a healthy dose of their top album tracks.
Old 05-17-2009, 12:59 AM
The Voice of Reason
Destination any Forum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldsausage View Post
Actually, Pyromania is their Slippery When Wet, Hysteria is their New Jersey.

Tags
def leppard, deluxe edition, hysteria, pyromania, slang