Jovitalk - Bon Jovi Fan Community
Home Register Members FAQ

Was Jon's voice really THAT bad in '05-'06?

General BJ Discussion

Old 05-27-2017, 10:27 PM
Price of posting

I think Jon loves to record albums and go on tour, and that's why he does not stop, the problem is that everything starts to sound the same. Yes, THINFS is nothing new under the sun, sorry guys, but it is.

I think Jon should get away from the stages for a long time, 4 or 5 years would be enough, and come back with a new sound and with some closed scars. In that period where the band is off, Jon could do a solo album or make some soundtracks, but unfortunately it's not going to happen, because Jon loves to make albums and go on tour, even if it sounds boring and sick for us.

Old 05-28-2017, 03:12 AM
These Days

It's quite hard to be obejctive about an era like 05-06, now in 2017.

Back then, starting with the Bounce Tour, Jon really seemed to have lost a great portion of his voice. He struggled quite a bit on the tougher songs, the big ballads were exchanged to the TLFR versions, which was a very obvious attempt to hide the fact Jon didn't feel confident enough to sing them. The HAND album was also the first time you really could hear that Jon's voice went through a lot of studio tricks on the harder parts. We know the rest, Jon managed to regain his vocals and confidence in 2008 and up to 2011 there were some stunning moments.

Looking back now, when we have the awful 2015 tour as well as the ongoing THINFS Tour 2005-06 seems like miles away. Jon still had a strong tone, sounded great on songs like Bad Medicine, LOAP, HAND and even Who Says - songs that are plain out painful to hear now. So from this side of the coin, no, Jon's voice wasn't bad by any means in 05-06 and I would personally pay a high price for Jon to sing like he did on the HAND Tour again.
Old 05-28-2017, 05:59 AM
The Distance

This!!! Perfectly stated!!!

Sent from my HTCD160LVW using Tapatalk
Old 05-28-2017, 06:24 AM
The Distance

Quote:
Originally Posted by rolo_tomachi View Post
I think Jon loves to record albums and go on tour, and that's why he does not stop, the problem is that everything starts to sound the same. Yes, THINFS is nothing new under the sun, sorry guys, but it is.

I think Jon should get away from the stages for a long time, 4 or 5 years would be enough, and come back with a new sound and with some closed scars. In that period where the band is off, Jon could do a solo album or make some soundtracks, but unfortunately it's not going to happen, because Jon loves to make albums and go on tour, even if it sounds boring and sick for us.
I don't think Jon loves either anymore! I think what he loves is the big fat paycheck associated with them... His passion now is giving back to charities... music is now secondary...

As far as the break goes, it's too late and he's too old.. It's also not going to change anything this late in the game... 6 months or 5 years won't change anything...

Personally, I really like THINFS... it's a nice attempt for a solo album featuring Dave and Tico... what Jon really needs is a new producer... Shanks is more on a band member now and it's not just his production but more of his musical influence... he's just not a fit for this band...

Last edited by Rdkopper; 05-28-2017 at 06:26 AM..
Old 05-28-2017, 09:57 AM
Keep the Faith

Quote:
Originally Posted by BJFan99 View Post
And he used to be one of the best vocalists in the business...
Nah, actually he never used to be that.
He did a pretty good job for most of the time. But I wouldn't call him to the top vocalists even during BJ's prime.
Old 05-28-2017, 11:15 AM
These Days

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faceman View Post
He did a pretty good job for most of the time. But I wouldn't call him to the top vocalists even during BJ's prime.
Totally disagree.

If we consider early-to-mid 90s to be his prime, very few male singers in popular music at the time were able to match Jon's vocal range and charisma.
Old 05-28-2017, 12:23 PM
Posting everyday

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faceman View Post
In the mid-90's I definitely would've considered him one of the top vocalists in the rock business, also in terms of quality performance during live shows. Sure, there were others who've always had a much more powerful voice for starters or a bigger range, but he knew how to deliver a song really spot on and was great in varying his phrasing on certain lines.
Old 05-28-2017, 04:57 PM
Keep the Faith

Considering the whole package as a live band - absolutely.
But picking only Jon's voice - not at all.
He struggled during the Slippery tour, he struggled for parts of the New Jersey tour, he struggled for parts of the Keep The Faith tour.
1995/96 might have been his prime but even then he wasn't able to deliver a good vocal performance on These Days in Wembley.
And with the beginning of the 2000s his nasal singing began.

Don't get me wrong, I love this band and up to their 2015 Asia tour I had no problems with Jon's voice (for the most part). But that doesn't qualify him to me as a top vocalist.
Old 05-28-2017, 07:25 PM
The Distance

I think Jon is an underrated vocalist... He's not a George Michael type vocalist but he's got the chops for a Rock and Roll band... I don't think many people realize how hard his songs are to sing until they actually try singing them... He's had some issues due to inexperienced overhaul but that shouldn't dethrone his talents... Jon's had a range, tone, and delivery like no other... not to mention that signature scream... He was definitely the real deal at one point...

Old 05-28-2017, 10:12 PM
Blame it on the love of posting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rdkopper View Post
I think Jon is an underrated vocalist... He's not a George Michael type vocalist but he's got the chops for a Rock and Roll band... I don't think many people realize how hard his songs are to sing until they actually try singing them... He's had some issues due to inexperienced overhaul but that shouldn't dethrone his talents... Jon's had a range, tone, and delivery like no other... not to mention that signature scream... He was definitely the real deal at one point...

Yeah, totally agree! I've tried singing some of BJ songs and they are bloody difficult and I'm a girl, mind you! The guy is definitely very talented, even if his technique hasn't helped him show the full potential. Richie's an unschooled musician as well as see how this natural and raw talent shines through the man! There are some very lucky folks out there who could witness our boys in their full glory over the years. And yeah, the screams are out of this world!