Jovitalk - Bon Jovi Fan Community
Home Register Members FAQ Mark Forums Read

Do you prefer.....

Other Bands

Old 08-12-2005, 03:24 PM
Last Man Standing

Default Do you prefer.....

....festivals or an artists own show???

Im asking because it seems all the best bands this year have played at Festivals. I really wanna see the Killers, I can get a day ticket for Leeds Festival for £60 but I dont like the rest of the line up Plus the act you wanna see may only play for about an hour.

I suppose its only good value if there are a few of your fave bands on but thats rarely the case for me, I prefer the good old fashioned stadiums shows, seeing your fave band with a couple of minor support bands.

Old 08-12-2005, 03:42 PM
The One And Only Real Backstage Killer
I'll Post When I'm Dead

Send a message via MSN to Supersonic

Aloha !

It depends. I went to a festival to see Velvet Revolver last year, and got only 45 minutes of this band. They normally play a set of 1,5 hours, so I'd rather have that band on it's own.

However, when going to a festival to see a few bands you haven't heard of before, and they're all playing at the same place on the same day, you're better of with a festival show.

Salaam Aleikum,
Sebastiaan
Old 08-12-2005, 04:10 PM
Lay your Posts on Me

I hate festivals, absolutely hate them with a passion. Honestly if Bon Jovi decided to headline a festival over here rather then play their own show I seriously doubt it would be worth sitting through the garbage that would be on before them and putting up with all the hippie stoners that go to music festivals just to see them play half a set. Hate them, absolutely hate them.

Phil
It seems these days theres so much negativity going on in the world. I dont know maybe being a hopeless romantic or an optimist isnt fashionable but to me those stars up there were just that close,so i couldnt help but sit down with Richie and write this song and so for all the believers out there we're not a dying breed.This is called These Days~JBJ
Old 08-12-2005, 04:19 PM
Nil Satis Nisi Optimum
Posting Dead Or Alive

*Most* festivals I dont really enjoy, coz there are too many bands that I do not like. I dont think it is worth paying £60+ just to go and see one or two bands that you do like play for 45mins. Total waste of money in my opinion. Unless they were my FAVOURITE bands, there is no way I would pay for something like this.

The leeds festival line up this year sucks bigtime. No less than jake and no sum 41. terrible. My boss has VIP passes and im sure he will have a good time, but not really my thing. Like Carli, I much prefer stadium shows of one main artist.
2010: NJ x3, London x4. 2011: Munich, Manchester, London, Dublin x2, Lisbon. 2012: RS London.
2013: Manchester, Birmingham, Dublin, London. 2014: RS Belfast. 2016: London. 2019: Dublin x2, Liverpool, London

Old 08-12-2005, 04:25 PM
The One And Only Real Backstage Killer
I'll Post When I'm Dead

Send a message via MSN to Supersonic

Aloha !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krycek
I hate festivals, absolutely hate them with a passion. Honestly if Bon Jovi decided to headline a festival over here rather then play their own show I seriously doubt it would be worth sitting through the garbage that would be on before them and putting up with all the hippie stoners that go to music festivals just to see them play half a set. Hate them, absolutely hate them.

Phil
If it'd be at Rock Am Ring, Rock Am Rio or the Arrow Rock Festival you wouldn't hear me complain. Though their headlining attitude is gone now, though you'd probably indeed get half a set. If they'd headline you'd get 2 hours, meaning no fillers.

Salaam Aleikum,
Sebastiaan
Old 08-12-2005, 04:35 PM
Retired Super Moderator
Crush

If it's an act I already love as a live show, I would rather see that act alone. But festivals are a good way to find out if other acts put on great shows or if 30 minutes or so is enough of them at one time.
Old 08-12-2005, 08:33 PM
This Post Feels Right

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supersonic
Aloha !

It depends. I went to a festival to see Velvet Revolver last year, and got only 45 minutes of this band. They normally play a set of 1,5 hours, so I'd rather have that band on it's own.

However, when going to a festival to see a few bands you haven't heard of before, and they're all playing at the same place on the same day, you're better of with a festival show.

Salaam Aleikum,
Sebastiaan
what he said.

Depending on the price, venue and my schedule, I am not all that picky really .... but I wouldn't pay 60 UKP if there was only one band I'd like to see. I would have gone to Ozzfest for $100 if it hadn't been during the week - but there would have been several acts I'd like to see.

My favorite festival is 'Endfest' - an annual festival put on by a local radiostation. $20 gives you 19 bands (Queens of the Stone Age headlining alone worth the money - Stereophonics, Ash, Kasabian, Kaiser Chiefs, Hot Hot Heat, are just a few I can remember off top of my head) - 3 stages with bands playing at the same time, so you can walk around and stop where you'd like. It's also a great place if you are the family type and bring kids, cause it's casual, cheap and the kids don't get bored.
I miss the fire that was once in your eyes
Well come on and say something now
Old 08-12-2005, 11:12 PM
It's my post

Send a message via AIM to Rob Send a message via MSN to Rob Send a message via Yahoo to Rob

I would have to really like more than half the acts at a fesitval to make it worth while for me. I'm very selective when it comes to concerts and I only go to see the people that I really want to see. I've done Bon Jovi and Dire Straits (Knopfler solo with Guy Fletcher), and would do so again, but I wouldn't go and pay lots of money to see somebody if I only knew a handful of their songs. If I could get three or more of my utmost favourate artists playing a decent length set at a festival then I might prefer it to a festival rather than a seperate show.