Home Register Members FAQ

Feb 14, 2017 - USA - Tampa - Amalie Arena

Tour Discussion

Old 02-15-2017, 04:29 PM
This Post Feels Right

Send a message via AIM to Captain_jovi Send a message via MSN to Captain_jovi

Quote:
Originally Posted by steel_horse75 View Post
excatly my point...You me and 99% of this forum werent there so dont worry about it!

Setlists will be different in Europe and UK anyway so we're fine
Again, we're not complaining about the songs not changing from show to show. Okay, some are, but the bigger point is tour to tour. People don't want to go back out if they'll get the same songs plus the new ones.

Old 02-15-2017, 04:47 PM
Blame it on the love of posting

My main gripe is not the static setlist. This is the norm for the first few shows. It's the flow of the first half. I fear that Jon will drop the THINFS songs to make room for more hits instead of that dreadful section with BTBMB, LH, Follow and Working Men. Casuals want hits! Lets keep Follow! One of the biggest hits ever! If he's going by the Greatest Hits, both the hits CD and the "fan favorites", at least swap Runaway for Follow, or Working Men for WWWB every other show. It's not a bad setlist stucture, but there are too many weak songs together.

Put different covers every night in Sleep or Medicine. Make longer instrumental breaks so Jon can wave that silly flashlight until his arms hurt. Let the band sing a verse... Small changes that don't need lots of work but make the shows feel fresh and changing

The second half is excellent. HAND, LYOHM, BOB and Sat Night electric work really well with the new songs and Jon seems much more engaged. The encore is uninspired but it could be ten times worst (*cough*ILTT*cough*)

These days what's left of me ain't no Prince Charming

We know Jon, we know
Old 02-15-2017, 05:13 PM
Dry County

We are complaining because we have seen what this band could do in the past (not only the 80's and 90's, but 6-7 years ago). The casual fan still likes the show, because he/she goes to one or two concerts per tour and they don't have as much knowledge about the band as we diehards do. Bon Jovi was such a monster on stage that even with the recent steep decline they still put on a good show for the casual fan.

IMO, the "don't compare tours" argument is bullocks. You build a legacy during your carrer, don't expect people to put all that behind and just accept what it is now.

I went to a lot of shows in the Lost Highway and The Circle/Greatest Hits tours and I went completely nuts to a point that all I could talk about a month was how incredible the shows were. I attended some of the WAN shows and my feeling was - "ok, that was nice, let's have some beer now".

So yes, we are complaining because those magic moments that happened at BJ shows that made a lot of us take trips to other countries just to see them don't happen anymore for us die hards. If you still think that the shows are great and you enjoy seeing them nowadays, I feel happy for you and I respect your feeling. Just go to the shows, have fun, and stop with the "stop bitching" argument.

Last edited by efpg0708; 02-15-2017 at 05:30 PM..
Old 02-15-2017, 05:15 PM
This Post Feels Right

Agreed with the above. I love the new album but know by the time the tour gets to me it will become 4ish new songs and the same filler tracks and hits. To me that's not as worth it. I'm allowed to feel this way and it doesn't make me a whiner.
Old 02-15-2017, 05:27 PM
Posting everyday

Quote:
Originally Posted by efpg0708 View Post
We are complaining because we have seen what this band could do in the past (not only the 80's and 90's, but 6-7 years ago). The casual fan still likes the show, because he/she goes to one or two concerts per tour and they don't have as much knowledge about the band as we diehards do. Bon Jovi was such a monster on stage that even with the recent steep decline they still put on a good show for the casual fan.

IMO, the "don't compare tours" argument is bullocks. You build a legacy during your carrer, don't expect people to put that all behind and just accept what it is now.

I went to a lot of shows in the Lost Highway and The Circle/Greatest Hits tours and I went completely nuts to a point that all I could talk about a month was how incredible the shows were. I attended some of the WAN shows and my feeling was - "ok, that was nice, let's have some beer now".

So yes, we are complaining because those magic moments that happened at BJ shows that made a lot of us take trips to other countries just to see them don't happen anymore for us die hards. If you still think that the shows are great and you enjoy seeing them nowadays, I feel happy for you and I respect your feeling. Just go to the shows, have fun, and stop with the "stop bitching" argument.
Perfectly stated!
Old 02-15-2017, 05:37 PM
The Distance

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonjovi90 View Post
Perfectly stated!
Is it? Look, I agree that there are some duds that could/should be replaced with better choices and as a community, set list are fun to discuss...

However, my only issue is with people complaining about the set-lists being the same when they are not at the shows to begin with...

And yes, even with one new member and shifting responsibilities, a few vanilla set-list should be expected at the start of the tour... Jon, Richie, and the band had 30 plus years of chemistry... These guys are all getting adjusted to each other. Jon is a perfectionist and is not going to risk mistakes to make people on JoviTalk happy... When he feels the band is ready for the next step, I'm sure he'll take it...

He is not ignorant to the fact that people will be buying these sets, hence the reason for rehearsing 100 songs...
Old 02-15-2017, 06:02 PM
This Post Feels Right

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rdkopper View Post
Is it? Look, I agree that there are some duds that could/should be replaced with better choices and as a community, set list are fun to discuss...

However, my only issue is with people complaining about the set-lists being the same when they are not at the shows to begin with...

And yes, even with one new member and shifting responsibilities, a few vanilla set-list should be expected at the start of the tour... Jon, Richie, and the band had 30 plus years of chemistry... These guys are all getting adjusted to each other. Jon is a perfectionist and is not going to risk mistakes to make people on JoviTalk happy... When he feels the band is ready for the next step, I'm sure he'll take it...

He is not ignorant to the fact that people will be buying these sets, hence the reason for rehearsing 100 songs...
That's true, time will tell and songs can filter in and out but it doesn't change the fact that it's been the same album cuts tour to tour to tour.
Old 02-15-2017, 06:24 PM
Hardest Part is the Night

They tried something new in Sunrise and it ended up with a big mistake:

https://youtu.be/A_mjP2HvCbE?t=59s
Old 02-15-2017, 06:28 PM
Dry County

Quote:

My main issue is not just about the static setlists, but with the overall performance of the band. As I said ... they still put on a good shows for the casuals, but for the majority of the diehards they don't. And it's not about watching it on youtube: I was there in 2008, 2010, 2011 and 2013. You might ask: How can you complain about the 2017 set if you didn't watch one gig ? Simple ... because it's clear that Jon is glued to the mic stand, his voice is gone (and that means that most of the GOOD rarities won't be played) and most of all:

1. This House Is Not For Sale
2. Knockout
3. You Give Love A Bad Name
4. Born To Be My Baby
5. We Weren't Born To Follow
6. Lost Highway

7. Roller Coaster
8. Work For The Working Man
9. I'll Sleep When I'm Dead
10. We Got It Goin' On
11. Who Says You Can't Go Home

12. It's My Life
13. We Don't Run
14. God Bless This Mess
15. Scars on This Guitar
16. The Devil's in the Temple
17. Lay Your Hands On Me
18. Blood on Blood
19. Have a Nice Day
20. Bad Medicine
21. Keep the Faith
-------------------------------
22. Someday I'll Be Saturday Night
23. Wanted Dead or Alive
24. Prayer

I have seen these songs played to death a hundred times. It's just not fun anymore. So for me and for a lot of diehards, an excelent performance of Lost Highway, Born to Follow and Who Says still is boring, because the songs are boring.

As for the setlists ... They can easily shake things up. Phil was able to learn songs in between shows in 2011 and 2013, and Shanks has been with the guys for 12 years now.
Old 02-15-2017, 06:29 PM
Dry County

Quote:

My main issue is not just about the static setlists, but with the overall performance of the band. As I said ... they still put on a good show for the casuals, but for the majority of the diehards they don't. And it's not about watching it on youtube: I was there in 2008, 2010, 2011 and 2013. You might ask: How can you complain about the 2017 set if you didn't watch one gig ? Simple ... because it's clear that Jon is glued to the mic stand, his voice is gone (and that means that most of the GOOD rarities won't be played) and most of all:

1. This House Is Not For Sale
2. Knockout
3. You Give Love A Bad Name
4. Born To Be My Baby
5. We Weren't Born To Follow
6. Lost Highway

7. Roller Coaster
8. Work For The Working Man
9. I'll Sleep When I'm Dead
10. We Got It Goin' On
11. Who Says You Can't Go Home

12. It's My Life
13. We Don't Run
14. God Bless This Mess
15. Scars on This Guitar
16. The Devil's in the Temple
17. Lay Your Hands On Me
18. Blood on Blood
19. Have a Nice Day
20. Bad Medicine
21. Keep the Faith
-------------------------------
22. Someday I'll Be Saturday Night
23. Wanted Dead or Alive
24. Prayer

I have seen these songs played to death a hundred times. It's just not fun anymore. So for me and for a lot of diehards, an excelent performance of Lost Highway, Born to Follow and Who Says is still boring, because the songs are boring.

As for the setlists ... They can easily shake things up. Phil was able to learn songs in between shows in 2011 and 2013, and Shanks has been with the guys for 12 years now.