Jovitalk - Bon Jovi Fan Community
Home Register Members FAQ Mark Forums Read

Phil X

Tour Discussion

Old 06-06-2013, 08:16 PM
Jovi FANatic

Default Phil X

Ok so it is looking like Phil X will be here to stay, at least on tour. Lots of you have now seen him with the band so I want to know what he brings to the table and what qualities doesnt he have??

I am going to 3 shows and I want to know what this guy can do. Some say he is brilliant and others state he is no more than a session musician...

Old 06-06-2013, 08:20 PM
Just posting

Send a message via MSN to Panda

While he does lack Richie's tone and soul, Phil brings things in that have been sorely missed for the past 10 years from Richie like energy, excitement, passion and new and fresh musicianship. They're two different guitar players. But Phil is a good enough replacement.
Old 06-06-2013, 08:25 PM
Jovi FANatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panda View Post
While he does lack Richie's tone and soul, Phil brings things in that have been sorely missed for the past 10 years from Richie like energy, excitement, passion and new and fresh musicianship. They're two different guitar players. But Phil is a good enough replacement.
Does he get into the songs or does he appear to just be doing a job?
Old 06-06-2013, 08:30 PM
Jovi FANatic

Send a message via ICQ to Johny

Quote:
Originally Posted by hackster73 View Post
I saw him into the song only during KTF and he seemed to enjoy We Got It Going On too. Otherwise he is invisible on the stage. Just my observation and opinion. He's good but nothing spectacular.
"If you got a dream, no matter what anybody tells you, if you think that you’ve got to go for it, then you should go for it, because you’ve got one life. And the next time somebody tells you: ‘You can’t do that’ you can tell them to screw themselves, because it’s your life and you do what the hell you want with it. So this is a song about having a dream and chasing it, till you find the Bright Lights." - Aldo Nova.
Aldo Nova - Bright Lights
Old 06-06-2013, 08:45 PM
Jovi FANatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johny View Post
I saw him into the song only during KTF and he seemed to enjoy We Got It Going On too. Otherwise he is invisible on the stage. Just my observation and opinion. He's good but nothing spectacular.
Mmmmmm. Thanks and that is what I get from the YouTube footage but sometimes being there feels different.
Old 06-06-2013, 09:08 PM
Blaze of Posting

Haven't seen him on this tour, but did see him play with the band in 2011. His playing was fine, not soulful, but the slings sounded good. He did/does seem to enjoy himself any time he plays, and judging by his Instagram and etc, be does seem to be enjoying every moment of this, on stage and off.
Old 06-06-2013, 09:10 PM
Wanted Dead or Alive

Quote:
The shows I saw (St. Paul, Des Moines & Vegas) X was into it it seemed. I suppose JBJ may have some 'rules' for what he wants X to and not to do as far as energy and spotlighting though.
Old 06-06-2013, 09:36 PM
Hardest Part is the Night

I saw him in KC and Des Moines. I'm no expert, but he does a good job on guitar. He has a nice stage presence but is obviously not competing with JBJ for attention. He seems "into it" and looks to be having fun. He makes eye contact with the fans and, from his tweets, he obviously appreciates the attention. He's not Richie, but I'm happy with him.

Old 06-06-2013, 10:11 PM
Jovi FANatic

From the shows on both tours that i have seen him play, he appears to be having a blast, he plays very well and is enjoyable to watch and listen to. Phil is in a tough spot. he's doing richies job, but he tries really hard not to rub it in fans faces. Jon does the same, he acknowledges Phil but tries not to shove him down fans throats, so there isn't the interaction between the two of them like there was with Richie. Now that may be changing a bit the longer Phil is with the band, but that was my impression of it at the shows I saw.
Old 06-06-2013, 10:27 PM
Lay your Posts on Me

Quote:
Ok so it is looking like Phil X will be here to stay, at least on tour. Lots of you have now seen him with the band so I want to know what he brings to the table and what qualities doesnt he have??

I am going to 3 shows and I want to know what this guy can do. Some say he is brilliant and others state he is no more than a session musician...
He's very good. Well he hasn't the blues sound of Richie nor his putting his soul as Richie would do, as these songs, are his children but he delivers a great live experience/performance. His favorite part of the show: Keep The Faith