Jovitalk - Bon Jovi Fan Community
Home Register Members FAQ Mark Forums Read

Vivian Campbell of Def Leppard has cancer.

Other Bands

Old 06-11-2013, 11:46 PM
These Days

Default Vivian Campbell of Def Leppard has cancer.

Sad news, yesterday this was posted on DefLeppard.com:

Quote:
In light of the forthcoming European and North American dates from Def Leppard, guitarist Vivian Campbell felt it would be right to let the band's supporters know that he is currently in recovery from cancer.

Vivian says, “I feel fortunate that my cancer sent me an alarm call in the form of ‘the cough that wouldn’t quit’. Otherwise, how would I have known? After several months of trying every inhaler known to man, my doctor finally had me X-rayed. A further CAT scan revealed that enlarged lymph nodes were doing wrestling manoeuvres on my windpipe – hence the cough. What was causing the enlarged lymph nodes, however, was yet to be determined, so I underwent a surgical biopsy on March 11th, the first day of Leppard rehearsals for our Viva Las Vegas shows. Obviously, I didn’t make it to rehearsal that day, but it’s okay; I know the songs by now.

My diagnosis was Hodgkin's Lymphoma and 6 months of chemotherapy is the prescribed treatment. I’m about 2 months in and feeling rather spiffy, all things considered. Hodgkin's has an over 80% cure rate, so by my reckoning, if you’re going to have a cancer, Hodgie’s is the one to have!

The reason I’m sharing this with you is because, despite cancer and chemo, me and my new aerodynamic hairstyle (read: no hair) are going on tour this summer with the band and I don’t want anyone to be so shocked by my new look that they ask for a refund. Simple economics, really.

My family, friends and bandmates have all been extremely supportive through this and I look forward to a summer full of shows with both Def Leppard in June/July and the debut of Last In Line this August."

The USA based Northern Irish guitarist has a busy schedule this coming summer. Fresh from Def Leppard’s triumphant Las Vegas Residency, the band are set to play a series of festivals and headline shows across Europe and North America in June/July 2013. For all details go HERE

In addition to performing with Def Leppard, August 2013 sees Vivian debut the reunited original Dio band under the name of Last In Line: 30 years after the recording of the legendary Dio albums Holy Diver, Last In Line and Scared Heart, and without trying to replace the singular sound that was Ronnie’s voice, the original band have started playing the songs they wrote and created together again. Joined by the passionate, powerful and unique voice of vocalist Andrew Freeman, Vivian Campbell, Vinny Appice, Jimmy Bain and Claude Schnell have united under the name of their classic album, Last In Line, to perform and tour their original songs again.

Last In Line are set to tour the UK in August 2013 with further dates worldwide to follow. For all confirmed dates go HERE

(+ Santiago 09/24/2013 | Buenos Aires 09/26/2013 | Buenos Aires 09/16/2017)
These Days!

Old 06-11-2013, 11:51 PM
Retired Super Moderator
Crush

I wish the guy well. I hope he has a full recovery.

At the same time, I can't help but wonder at the fact that this guy is going on tour with cancer and Richie can't be bothered to show up for work while he's doing ***ing great.
Old 06-12-2013, 12:08 AM
These Days

Quote:
Originally Posted by Becky View Post
I wish the guy well. I hope he has a full recovery.

At the same time, I can't help but wonder at the fact that this guy is going on tour with cancer and Richie can't be bothered to show up for work while he's doing ***ing great.
Yeah, let's hope he gets better. He's a great guitar player and one of the few stars that answer every single post fans do in his Facebook page.

Also, I agree with you. The guy is touring while he's on chemo and Richie is there on his house doing ****ing great.

These Days!

Old 06-12-2013, 12:14 AM
Just posting

Send a message via MSN to Panda

I agree. Richie doesn't deserve Bon Jovi.
Old 06-12-2013, 12:30 AM
Blaze of Posting

Vivian Campbell is an unbelievable guitar player. Have seen him jam with so many artists, from Thin Lizzy to Steel Panther, and he never let anyone down.

I am very sad about this news, given his mentor - Ronnie James Dio - died of cancer. But he's a strong bloke and he'll be back! Wishing him all the best.

As about Richie - come on people. Richie played guitar with a f*ckin' broken arm for an entire tour. Vivian Campbell never had to play the garbage that is What About Now. And back in the day, when Vivian had a major musical disagreement with Dio, he simply walked out, just like that. So stop making any silly comparisons here. No one knows why Richie isn't there - and to be honest - I admire anyone who has the guts to say no to a big pile of cash for the sake of his or her own sanity. Which I believe is what Richie is doing. And all this 'Letting fans down' bullshit is going on my nerves really. All the junk that Jon has written and has fed us - that is what has been letting the fans down. Richie here, Richie there makes no difference.

Again - if this was the These Days tour and Richie would disappear with no reason - I'd be mad beyond belief. But Richie leaving now is the best thing that has happened to the band in ages.

But I digress. This is about Vivian Campbell! All the best man and see you back on the road soon!

Last edited by DevilsSon; 06-12-2013 at 12:32 AM..
Old 06-12-2013, 12:37 AM
These Days

Well, there're Def Leppard songs that aren't exactly guitar masterpieces.

These Days!

Old 06-12-2013, 01:00 AM
Blaze of Posting

Quote:
Originally Posted by ezearis View Post
Well, there're Def Leppard songs that aren't exactly guitar masterpieces.
Once again then, focussing on what matters - Vivian Campbell left DIO (the band named after namesake Ronnie James Dio) because he thought the band was going in the wrong musical direction. At that time, he was considered the new Randy Rhoads.

There are many reasons why people leave bands. Health is one of them. Stop judging and comparing without having a clue what you are talking about. Especially giving Vivian Campbell as an example, when he's always been a mercenary. But what do you guys know?

Last edited by DevilsSon; 06-12-2013 at 01:16 AM..
Old 06-12-2013, 12:08 PM
These Days

I wish the guy well. I'm a big Def Leppard fan and he's a cracking guitarist. I thought that statement was great too, just had the right tone. I'm sure he'll recover.
24.06.2011 - LCCC, MANCHESTER
25.06.2011 - HYDE PARK, LONDON
16.10.2012 - RICHIE - SHEPHERD'S BUSH, LONDON
0̶8̶.̶0̶6̶.̶2̶0̶1̶3̶ ̶-̶ ̶E̶T̶I̶H̶A̶D̶ ̶S̶T̶A̶D̶I̶U̶M̶,̶ ̶M̶A̶N̶C̶H̶E̶S̶T̶E̶R̶
05.07.2013 - HYDE PARK, LONDON
Old 06-12-2013, 02:23 PM
The Distance

Send a message via ICQ to Iceman Send a message via MSN to Iceman

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevilsSon View Post
I am very sad about this news, given his mentor - Ronnie James Dio - died of cancer.
Umm... Vivian hates Dio, Ronnie ripped Vivian off with never giving him any songwriting credits on the songs he wrote, like Holy Diver or Rainbow In The Dark.

Quote:
But I digress. This is about Vivian Campbell! All the best man and see you back on the road soon!
This. Viv's amazing. And he will kick the cancer's ass.

Ice

Only dead fish go with the flow.
Old 06-12-2013, 08:45 PM
Jovi Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevilsSon View Post
I am very sad about this news, given his mentor - Ronnie James Dio - died of cancer.
You are aware that the two of them had nothing good to say about each other ever since he left Dio?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iceman View Post
Umm... Vivian hates Dio, Ronnie ripped Vivian off with never giving him any songwriting credits on the songs he wrote, like Holy Diver or Rainbow In The Dark.
Holy Diver was written before Vivian had even auditioned for the band.

And he was credited for Rainbow In The Dark. As far as I know, he actually ripped off a couple of riffs from his older bands (not all of which he wrote himself) for the Dio stuff, though.

Last edited by Alphavictim; 06-12-2013 at 08:47 PM..

Tags
def leppard, vivian campbell