Jovitalk - Bon Jovi Fan Community
Home Register Members FAQ Mark Forums Read

40th Anniversary Boxset (2023)

New Bon Jovi Releases

Old 10-07-2021, 03:56 PM
Jovi Freak

Default 40th Anniversary Boxset (2023)

Just so we don't hijack the SiriusXM thread, we can talk about the boxset here.

What we know: Confirmed by Jon that they are working on a boxset to be released in 2023 to celebrate the band's 40th anniversary. There will be 40-50 unreleased songs, "movies" and photos.

Speculation of the tracklist? Hopes? Dreams? Concerns? Go.

Perth - January 25, 2008
Perth - December 8, 2010
Sydney - December 17, 2010
Sydney - December 19, 2010 (I Believe!!!)

East Rutherford - July 25, 2013
Melbourne - December 7, 2013
Melbourne - December 8, 2013
Perth - December 12, 2013

Sydney - December 8, 2018

Old 10-07-2021, 04:07 PM
Next 100 Posts

Send a message via MSN to jimmyjovi89

I am really excited by the 50 songs, but do we think that many are going to be from the 80s an 90s or just Circle,WAN,THINFS and 2020 outtakes? If songs like Limitless, Fast Cars, Beautiful World and Knockout ended up on an album how bad will some of these outtakes be.
Old 10-07-2021, 04:29 PM
Jovi Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savvi View Post
Just so we don't hijack the SiriusXM thread, we can talk about the boxset here.

What we know: Confirmed by Jon that they are working on a boxset to be released in 2023 to celebrate the band's 40th anniversary. There will be 40-50 unreleased songs, "movies" and photos.

Speculation of the tracklist? Hopes? Dreams? Concerns? Go.
As far as I know, Jon said 40, who said 50? (I'm reading this since yesterday..)

With Jon looking over the archives, I think we might get some pre-Crush Era stuff, I don't know, but they have TONS of unreleased songs.

Let's see: 2020 has still around 14 unreleased tracks; THINFS has some, but we don't know how many; WAN has at least 4; we still haven't got ANYTHING from The Circle. So, from 2009 onwards, we've got a minimum of 18 tracks. Make it 40-50 is an easy job if we keep counting back (and consider those unreleased ASCAP titles)!
Old 10-07-2021, 04:48 PM
Livin' on a Post

I'm certainly not getting my hopes up for this. We know that Jon doesn't give a single shit anymore about those fans that adore the bands music. The target market these days is the Jerry's of the world, the housewives and the wine aficionados. People that spend thousands of bucks on runaway trips.

The die-hard fan isn't catered for anymore, unfortunately.

Besides, how much 'good stuff' is really left? Most of the unreleased stuff we haven't heard would surely be post-2000, apart from the odd gem?

Sent from my ELE-L09 using Tapatalk

@JayChapperz

Last edited by James_86; 10-07-2021 at 04:52 PM..
Old 10-07-2021, 05:00 PM
Price of posting

Many times they discard great songs due to poor choice or simply because they felt that it did not correspond to the theme of the album. Just think Luv Can, a fantastic song that was left out of the album.

Speculation of the tracklist?

I think it will cover all the decades, but the last 20 years will be the most predominant.

Hopes?
Better 50 songs, and "Nothing" is included in this. That song is fantastic man, and the only thing we have is a leak with a rather mediocre sound quality.

Dreams?
A studio version of Cadillac Man recorded from NJ era. If it doesn't exist, let Jon call Richie and the rest of the band for a new Cadillac Man recording, but always respecting the logical structure of the song and its essence.

Concerns?
That the mixing and mastering from this proyect is not up to par. I would like them to take the 2004 box set as a reference for sound quality. It's clear and at the same time warm. It's a shame George Marino can't handle this again.

About "movies" and photos.
Well... I see this as a phenomenal extra, not the main dish. So that will depend on their choices, I suppose they have quite a material from archive... so I hope they choose wisely.

*With the exception of Nothing and Cadillac Man, should be songs songs that we had never listened.
Old 10-07-2021, 05:02 PM
Wanted Dead or Alive

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmyjovi89 View Post
I am really excited by the 50 songs, but do we think that many are going to be from the 80s an 90s or just Circle,WAN,THINFS and 2020 outtakes? If songs like Limitless, Fast Cars, Beautiful World and Knockout ended up on an album how bad will some of these outtakes be.
I would assume that there will be more older (2000s and earlier) outtakes since they used to write way more songs for one album than they do nowadays or it will at least be fairly balanced between older and newer stuff.

I also don't think the songs they actually put on recent albums are necessarily an indication of what the outtakes from those session might be like, because Jon in particular is quite bad at picking out which songs are the best and most worthy of being put on an album (or chosen as a single). A song like Limitless makes it onto an album because it fits a certain formula and Jon thinks it could do well commercially, while a song like Luv Can is quickly downgraded to nothing but a bonus track.
Old 10-07-2021, 05:32 PM
Price of posting

I don't care what decade it was recorded in.

Let's remember Burning Bridges, an album made up of other songs over the course of a decade. That album has a good collection of songs... and in my opinion, BB is the best launch from last 10 years.

Now, let's remember Box Set 2004. A lot of interesting songs that were discarded as they did not find their place at the time when they were recorded. This Box Set is a treasure.

Always exciting to find out a new song.Even if it is an average song, it will always be more fun than never having heard.

To be fair, Bon Jovi Fans Can't Be Wrong has already taken care of the first 20 years. So I don't think that new Box Set includes a lot of songs from those decades. You never know anyway.

I hope they don't make the mistake of including songs that were already part of a previous releases, I would hate to see included a bonus track or b-side that we already got on another release.

Last edited by rolo_tomachi; 10-07-2021 at 05:36 PM..
Old 10-07-2021, 10:14 PM
This Post Feels Right

Send a message via AIM to Captain_jovi Send a message via MSN to Captain_jovi

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmyjovi89 View Post
Precisely why this project intrigues me. Give me the songs left off the albums so the commercial stuff could makes it.

Rolo is bang on, we got some killer songs on Burning Bridges and that falls smack dab in the period we don't want much from. I want the songs Jon is too "afraid" to put on albums or are too weird or too stylistically different and this is our only chance to get it.
Old 10-07-2021, 10:15 PM
Jovi Freak

"Unreleased" as in "we have not heard these yet" or as in "stuff from the box set"?
Old 10-08-2021, 12:12 AM
Lay your Posts on Me

He said there were 40-50 songs but everything is being worked through and assessed.

It’s important to clarify before everyone gets carried away that they are still going through them (presumably to see what’s complete or suitable condition for release).

He didn’t actually say 40-50 songs would end up on the box set.

Tags
2024 box set, box set