Jovitalk - Bon Jovi Fan Community
Home Register Members FAQ

2020: The New Album

New Bon Jovi Releases

Old 05-22-2020, 03:53 PM
The Distance

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain_jovi View Post
They're capable of doing it, the question is why they didn't. A lot of the possible reasons you gave just don't work. Hook up WHAT equipment? Everett stood in a room and snapped and sang along, Dave has a home studio. There's nothing to hook up! It's the band recording tracks on their own and sync'ing them together, people are talking like they need to re-film Avatar, none of this is difficult. Any professional with a video editor can do it and with it being primarily one take, not time consuming. The Voice said no to the Band using a new track but okay'd Lady Antebellum? Proper instruments?

Look, they've been a band for 30+ years and done much more with less technology. I have to to just think the song wasn't ready and that's all it is. Everything else doesn't make sense.
You just said it right here "They're capable of doing it, the question is why they didn't"

No one has that definitive answer but yet you're instantly chalking this up as a negative.

Just because you think that all all Everett is good for is snapping his fingers, might not be the was Jon see's it. Jon considers him part of the band and if he can't play his parts correctly because his stuff is stored some place else and he's under quarantine guidelines, Jon decided to go in a different direction. That could be just 1 of a million reasons why they went in the direction they did.

Maybe they thought it was cancelled, sat on it, and then realized they only had a week to put it all together which wasn't enough time for a new song. Who knows. But just keep in the back of your mind, National TV... Not some podcast or radio interview but something much bigger.

They did a beautiful job with Its My Life so yes, a 30 year band proved they are more than capable. However that was acoustic and a song they played thousands of times.

Sent from my HTC6535LVW using Tapatalk
Old 05-22-2020, 04:16 PM
This Post Feels Right

Send a message via AIM to Captain_jovi Send a message via MSN to Captain_jovi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rdkopper View Post
You just said it right here "They're capable of doing it, the question is why they didn't"

No one has that definitive answer but yet you're instantly chalking this up as a negative.

Just because you think that all all Everett is good for is snapping his fingers, might not be the was Jon see's it. Jon considers him part of the band and if he can't play his parts correctly because his stuff is stored some place else and he's under quarantine guidelines, Jon decided to go in a different direction. That could be just 1 of a million reasons why they went in the direction they did.

Maybe they thought it was cancelled, sat on it, and then realized they only had a week to put it all together which wasn't enough time for a new song. Who knows. But just keep in the back of your mind, National TV... Not some podcast or radio interview but something much bigger.

They did a beautiful job with Its My Life so yes, a 30 year band proved they are more than capable. However that was acoustic and a song they played thousands of times.

Fair, yeah. I'm sure there's a reason and I'm not really focusing on the negative. I just don't see the point in making excuses and reasons that seem to apply to just them (again I bring up how many of the other acts on the exact same show were able to magically not mime to the studio track). End of the day it comes down to effort and you get what you put into it. Everett's involvement is absolutely reaching at straws. His role in the band is vocals and light percussion.

I don't want to come across and negative and focus on why it didn't happen. Just that it didn't happen and I'm dissapointed they couldn't pull something together, that's all it is and I'm fine with that.
Old 05-22-2020, 04:18 PM
This Post Feels Right

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonjovi90 View Post
I agree that it can't be down to technical reasons. These guys are professional musicians who have been living off playing their instruments for a better part of their lives. And any amateur musician can record decent tracks with little equipment and some decent software these days.
It's really down to them not giving a shit about it and, as a consequence, the fans not doing so either.

Let's face it - all the songs we've gotten so far we're due to them contributing to certain TV shows. Almost all other bands I follow simply have sat down due to their love of music and created something for the fans. Full band recordings via social networks, live acoustic sessions with them reacting to fan questions or playing snippets on the spot. Hell, Powderfinger even come out of their retirement this weekend to give the fans one special concert experience to watch. There's so much that could've been done and so little that was done.
You said it perfectly. Don't care why, don't care how, this was phoned in. Reasons could have been genuine and we'll never know what they are but it's perfectly acceptable to feel like they could have done more.
Old 05-22-2020, 04:35 PM
The Distance

Quote:
Fair, yeah. I'm sure there's a reason and I'm not really focusing on the negative. I just don't see the point in making excuses and reasons that seem to apply to just them (again I bring up how many of the other acts on the exact same show were able to magically not mime to the studio track). End of the day it comes down to effort and you get what you put into it. Everett's involvement is absolutely reaching at straws. His role in the band is vocals and light percussion.

I don't want to come across and negative and focus on why it didn't happen. Just that it didn't happen and I'm dissapointed they couldn't pull something together, that's all it is and I'm fine with that.
I agree that Everette is a stretch but I'm just using that to show that it could be 1 of a million reasons why, as I stated other reasons too...

I guess it comes down to some thinking its lack of effort and others think it's lack of preparation / perfection.

Again, National TV needs to be 100% perfect. Radio performances, webcasts, podcasts have more wiggle room for error.

Damn. This topic is more divided than Trump supporters.

Old 05-22-2020, 04:40 PM
The Distance

Quote:
You said it perfectly. Don't care why, don't care how, this was phoned in. Reasons could have been genuine and we'll never know what they are but it's perfectly acceptable to feel like they could have done more.
Come on... I don't think Jon thinks like that at all. He's not going to half ass one of his new songs on purpose. He's a professional in every way. That's just ridiculous.

Old 05-22-2020, 07:55 PM
Dry County

I know this is partly against the point you were trying to make, but here's a small list of full background playback with just Jon (& Richie) live vocals:

Superman Tonight

Born To Follow

It's My Life (this one doesn't even have live vocals, it's full playback)
Old 05-22-2020, 09:24 PM
This Post Feels Right

Yeah, I get it, it doesn't apply to what I'm debating. This stuff happens all the time for tv performances where they want to make sure the audio goes off without a hitch for the taping because if things go tits up, everything is screwed. This ain't that. Again, I'm not trying to debate whether or not miming for tv is the norm because it absolutely is.

He's not going to half ass his song? Who's talking about half ass? A band of 30+ years is able to pull this off. Phil and Shanks are professionals, everyone has studios, that's not halfassing and the song ain't difficult. Everyone swore up and down it's the simplest and boring song in the catalouge but now it's too complicated to record tracks separately, something they've been doing for years, and instead do this. It's promoting an album that isn't even out for another FIVE MONTHS, i'm not even asking them to do it live.

Lady Antebellum. Same show. Same having a new song. It's doable if the effort is there.

I'm more than fine agreeing to disagreeing on this, I swear haha.
Old 05-22-2020, 09:30 PM
The Distance

Exactly!! TV Playbacks is nothing new.

Just like in politics, let's put all our energy into picking on the one thing that didn't happen instead of praising all the good things that did...

And if you don't see it my way, I'll throw a temper tantrum and unfriend you on social media because you're a bad person for not letting the media brainwash you!

Old 05-22-2020, 09:36 PM
This Post Feels Right

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rdkopper View Post
Exactly!! TV Playbacks is nothing new.

Just like in politics, let's put all our energy into picking on the one thing that didn't happen instead of praising all the good things that did...

And if you don't see it my way, I'll throw a temper tantrum and unfriend you on social media because you're a bad person for not letting the media brainwash you!

It's like hitting my head against a wall. I'm not. saying. TV. playback. is. bad. or. new.

You're right about it being a decent vocal for Jon and got the song to a lot of people so hopefully the exposure helps.
Old 05-22-2020, 10:16 PM
The One And Only Real Backstage Killer
I'll Post When I'm Dead

Send a message via MSN to Supersonic

Aloha !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Javier View Post
Right here is the answer! Pretty simple really, they haven't rehearsed the song, havent gone over who plays what part, who sings what part what tempo to play it on, what backing tracks to use on it. Everett knows how to back Jon up, the rest is just not ready without a proper rehearsal.
But really, how hard is it for this band to come up with something? I feel as if people who think it's hard to put together a song like Limitless have little to no experience how to put a song together they supposedly recorded together. If I remember well you play (or played?) in a band. Surely you ought to know it's really not that hard to play a song?

We're not talking about Pink Floyd or a prog rock band with tempo changes, alternate tunings etc. We're talking about a band who appearantly according to some over here can't play a pop song and need to resort to miming to a backing track.

It's as if people who have come to accept this mediocre attempt at promoting a song think it's actually difficult to do this. It isn't. But it takes effort, and Bon Jovi haven't put any effort into promoting an album in well over a decade now. They've had a chance to go out and promote a song for a rather large audience and they phone it in while there's bands out there on youTube with not even 10% of the audience that watches Bon Jovi and yet do better performances.

There just aren't any excuses for this. And yet people feel the need to make them just so they can justify another low for this band.

Salaam Aleikum,
Sebastiaan

Tags
2020 (album)