Jovitalk - Bon Jovi Fan Community
Home Register Members FAQ Mark Forums Read

Which do you consider to be Jon's latest honestly GOOD vocal performance?

General BJ Discussion

Old 04-02-2018, 10:23 PM
Dry County

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supersonic View Post

He's "lucky" he's singing this in arena's with loads of echo and crowd noises. Would he do this song in theaters he'd be a lot more exposed and a lot more people would realize his voice is shot to bits. I really don't understand why people on this board think this stuff is acceptable, it's as if they've got no proper benchmark and/or no musical ear at all.
omg, Seb, you're back?!
Also, I agree with you... everytime I see people "wow watch this, Jon's voice is reeeeally good" about the latest concert, I'm like no, man... how can you say that? I don't understand how people can think this is good.
I know it's "good" for what we have nowadays, but... still.

Concerts I will always keep in my mind and heart:

Iron Maiden - Recife, Brasil, March 31 2009
Bon Jovi - Morumbi Stadium, São Paulo, Brasil -October 6 2010
Iron Maiden - Recife, Brasil, April 3 2011
Paul McCartney - Recife, Brasil, April 21 and 22 2012
Iron Maiden - Fortaleza, Brasil, March 23 2016

Old 04-02-2018, 10:50 PM
These Days

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supersonic View Post
Aloha !

If you've got to disect a song into pieces in order to find a vocal highlight it's not really a highlight now, is it? It's a bit of a stretch to say his tone is great in the chorus when he's still singing tanaijujujujt instead of tonight. What's next, pointing out syllables and say he's pronouncing the second half of a word really well? Sure, this sounds better than most of the shit from last year but it's still really awful and at times he sounds like a pub singer doing this for karaoke night.

He's "lucky" he's singing this in arena's with loads of echo and crowd noises. Would he do this song in theaters he'd be a lot more exposed and a lot more people would realize his voice is shot to bits. I really don't understand why people on this board think this stuff is acceptable, it's as if they've got no proper benchmark and/or no musical ear at all.

Salaam Aleikum,
Sebastiaan
Fortunately for Jon, that sentence describes a vast majority of Bon Jovi fanbase. It's quite a phemomenon.

I remember how Whitney Houston went on her last tour in 2009-2010 and was destroyed by media because of how terribly she sounded. Paul Stanley has been getting killed for the shape of his voice for the past 5 years. Jon isn't in much better shape, but his fanbase is either a lot more clueless or forgiving. Probably, a combination of both. Good for him.

As for the subject in question, it depends on HOW CONSISTENT qualifies as "consistent".

I think the O2 residency (June, 2010) was Jon's post-2002 peak vocally. He wasn't at his best as a frontman and some setlists left a lot to be desired, but vocally he was ON. I don't think he hit a single bum note in those 12 shows, whether it was Always, Something To Believe In, Hey God, you name it.

If you want to be more "liberal", then 2011 was pretty good too. Jon was showing signs of decline (which was at the time perceived as "fatigue"), but still had some great performances, even if there some notes he didn't hit he had in 2010 (STBI or TD are two examples that come to mind).
Old 04-02-2018, 11:31 PM
Posting everyday

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walleris View Post
Fortunately for Jon, that sentence describes a vast majority of Bon Jovi fanbase. It's quite a phemomenon.

I remember how Whitney Houston went on her last tour in 2009-2010 and was destroyed by media because of how terribly she sounded. Paul Stanley has been getting killed for the shape of his voice for the past 5 years. Jon isn't in much better shape, but his fanbase is either a lot more clueless or forgiving. Probably, a combination of both. Good for him.

As for the subject in question, it depends on HOW CONSISTENT qualifies as "consistent".

I think the O2 residency (June, 2010) was Jon's post-2002 peak vocally. He wasn't at his best as a frontman and some setlists left a lot to be desired, but vocally he was ON. I don't think he hit a single bum note in those 12 shows, whether it was Always, Something To Believe In, Hey God, you name it.

If you want to be more "liberal", then 2011 was pretty good too. Jon was showing signs of decline (which was at the time perceived as "fatigue"), but still had some great performances, even if there some notes he didn't hit he had in 2010 (STBI or TD are two examples that come to mind).
I think this is pretty spot on. What I had also considered as fatigue at the time and in the years afterwards, might've in fact been the strain his vocal chords had suffered on the leg before where Richie had already been missing. Didn't hit me until I realized how much of an issue that became in 2013.

Hey God in Mannheim might've been my last great favourite performance, though I vaguely remember Vienna having some stunning moments and I think it was after that.
The energy in I Believe was great in Lisbon, but he was sounded very strained by then and had sung the song with much more ease in London 2008.
Old 04-02-2018, 11:34 PM
It's my post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walleris View Post

I really can't argue with anything in this post. I've always thought that Jon's voice sounded a bit better during the O2 run/South America/Australia shows in 2010 than in 2011 (though by the end of the tour in 2011, his voice was pretty solid). Ever since then, he's been so inconsistent.

So I'd probably say this show in particular is one I'd pinpoint as one of his last GREAT performances.

Old 04-03-2018, 12:01 AM
Keep the Faith

Jon's last great vocal performance is probably TAALS from Lisbon 2011.
Old 04-03-2018, 12:17 AM
Jovi Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwinFan View Post
So I'd probably say this show in particular is one I'd pinpoint as one of his last GREAT performances.
Pitchwise this is good, and there's energy here, but why is he so overtly breathy even in the low opening portion?
Old 04-03-2018, 12:28 AM
These Days

2008-2011 was great for most parts with some really great performances popping up. First half of 2013 I still think was good but after the Europe leg it just went south completely. Since then no one can honstly say they enjoy a Jon Bon Jovi vocal. It's just not there and there are really no signs it will come back.
When he had his dip in 2003 he still had the tone, that was just a matter of learning how to reach high notes again. It's a different situaton now, he has lost everything that made him great, the power, the register, the rasp.
Old 04-03-2018, 03:14 AM
Wanted Dead or Alive

I know it's acoustic and it's an easy song, but it's undoubtedly a good vocal performance.

But yeah I'd agree that from an objective viewpoint, post 2011 Jon's really good performances were few and far between.
Old 04-03-2018, 04:44 AM
Next 100 Posts

One of the best performances post TC era. This performance shows how Jon really loves this song. Voice was still in a good shape and the passion is still there too. He still pull up some good performances back in 2013 but it is nothing compared to the great performances from the 2007 - 2011 era.

I really hope his critics will criticize his voice after their RNRHOF performance.
Old 04-03-2018, 09:18 AM
WhamATC

Why do you want them to really criticize his voice?

Even though he sounds bad (physical or mental) i want them to pretend like if he didn't sing bad.
Or just not hear that he performed bad.

Last edited by WhamATC; 04-03-2018 at 09:20 AM..