Jovitalk - Bon Jovi Fan Community
Home Register Members FAQ Mark Forums Read

Young Guns II recording period

General BJ Discussion

Old 12-18-2023, 02:06 AM
Breakout

Default Young Guns II recording period

Hello! I have always thought that the Young Guns II album is from 1990, but recently I found this clip that is dated 1989 while the band was still on the "Jersey Syndicate" tour. Is it possible that the band was somehow involved in the production of this album?
Here it is the clip:

Old 12-18-2023, 02:38 AM
This Post Feels Right

Send a message via AIM to Captain_jovi Send a message via MSN to Captain_jovi

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/m...album-1104915/

According to this it was spring of 1990. Is it possible the video is mislabelled? There's no way Jon was both in the studio for this album and on tour. The back half of that tour was Europe, Latin America and Australia.
Old 12-18-2023, 02:38 AM
Jovi Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steveages View Post
Hello! I have always thought that the Young Guns II album is from 1990, but recently I found this clip that is dated 1989 while the band was still on the "Jersey Syndicate" tour. Is it possible that the band was somehow involved in the production of this album?
Here it is the clip: Jon Bon Jovi and Jeff Beck - Young Guns II Recording Studio - Full Clip 1989 MTV - YouTube
I don’t think someone of the band was involved in this album, anyway it's normal if Jon recorded the album in 1989 even if he was still on tour with the band and published the album in 1990.

Destination Anywhere sessions were started in 1996 before these days tour was ended if I’m not wrong.
Old 12-18-2023, 02:43 AM
Breakout

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jovi98 View Post
I don’t think someone of the band was involved in this album, anyway it's normal if Jon recorded the album in 1989 even if he was still on tour with the band and published the album in 1990.

Destination Anywhere sessions were started in 1996 before these days tour was ended if I’m not wrong.
Wow! It seems I've been living deceived all my life because I thought they finished the tour and started recording, and honestly, I hadn't paid much attention to the DA dates.
Old 12-18-2023, 02:56 AM
This Post Feels Right

https://www.discogs.com/release/5064...ation-Anywhere Here is a list of the studios D.A was recorded at. I believe there was a mobile studio on the road with the band so versions of some of the songs may exist with other band members (though David did play on one song)

The Blaze album was all recorded in L.A. Yeah it's possible Jon went back and forth between L.A and the tour stops but given the amount of guest musicians, I don't buy it. Compounded that the filming dates for the movie were Jan 19, 1990 - Mar 24, 1990 and Blaze (the song) was written when Jon visited the set.

Feels like a wrongly dated video. I mean right off the hop the hiatus is mentioned. They wouldn't be on hiatus mid tour.
Old 12-18-2023, 03:05 AM
Jovi Freak

The last line is "The album and the film are both due in August", the movie came out on August first 1990. I doubt that would be a December 1989 estimation or preview then. The fact that it's "August", not "next August" puts this no earlier than September 1989 too (and even then, that'd be a weird ass thing to say; IMO this puts it pretty much in no earlier than January 1990).

The pic of Prince matches neither his 1989 album (Batman; spiky hair) nor his 1990 album haircut (Graffiti Bridge, longer hair), but that might be an archive pic. He had albums out in both years.

Last edited by Alphavictim; 12-18-2023 at 03:27 AM..
Old 12-18-2023, 04:06 AM
Breakout

It's possible that there may be some "coincidence" because Elton John was on the North American leg of the Sleeping with the Past Tour during those dates. And if I understood correctly, they could have joined to record 'Dyin' Ain't much of a Livin'. Now, let's consider that Alice Cooper was promoting the album "Trash," which was recorded at some point in 1988 and released in July 1989. The possibilities are not zero, as it was an era where artists collaborated on different albums with various musicians. I don't assert that the band recorded any tracks for the album, but I get the impression that they may have been influenced in some way. For example, "Miracle" is a song that could have fit at some point on the "New Jersey" album, but it's just the impression I have. I hope that Jon reveals, at some point, the songs that might have been left out of Young Guns II, especially considering that the album's producer recorded songs with Jon after its release. It's confusing, and Jon is a tightly sealed chest full of mysteries.
Old 12-18-2023, 06:36 AM
This Post Feels Right

Quote:
It's possible that there may be some "coincidence" because Elton John was on the North American leg of the Sleeping with the Past Tour during those dates. And if I understood correctly, they could have joined to record 'Dyin' Ain't much of a Livin'. Now, let's consider that Alice Cooper was promoting the album "Trash," which was recorded at some point in 1988 and released in July 1989. The possibilities are not zero, as it was an era where artists collaborated on different albums with various musicians. I don't assert that the band recorded any tracks for the album, but I get the impression that they may have been influenced in some way. For example, "Miracle" is a song that could have fit at some point on the "New Jersey" album, but it's just the impression I have. I hope that Jon reveals, at some point, the songs that might have been left out of Young Guns II, especially considering that the album's producer recorded songs with Jon after its release. It's confusing, and Jon is a tightly sealed chest full of mysteries.
I hear the theory you're going for here, but Emilio has told the story about how Blaze of Glory was written while the movie was still being filmed and it didn't start until 1990 with Blaze being the catalyst song that led to more. There's just no way anything involving this started during the Jersey tour.
Old 12-18-2023, 07:31 AM
Posting everyday

The video is mislabeled. Simple as that. It was from a compilation DVD called "MTV clips 1989" which had also contained a good number of snippets from after the tour had ended in 1990. This having been one of them.

Gesendet von meinem X30 mit Tapatalk
Old 12-18-2023, 03:28 PM
The Distance

Quote:
Here it is the clip: Jon Bon Jovi and Jeff Beck - Young Guns II Recording Studio - Full Clip 1989 MTV - YouTube
Mislabeled Youtube Video - Happens all the time.

Levon was also recorded during the Blaze sessions.